Eulogizing Drumming's Most Unwelcome Fad -- Hexagonal Pads

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The furthest I ever went down that road was a DrumKat that I really loved. I used it in conjunction with a drum machine and a tone module alongside my acoustic kit, and would trigger percussion sounds, different sound effects, and other hits. Because you could program each pad to trigger 3 different midi note numbers, I could set it up to play a chord for a specific length, or time the note numbers out to create an arpeggio when I hit the pad. It would also start and stop percussion loops on the drum machine by just hitting a pad. I had that rig on the road with me and it was very handy when doing a lot of the pop stuff we covered. I felt so cutting-edge because I had the latest software version - 3.5! The rubber pads felt great as well.

View attachment 508396
I have a Sensory Percussion set I haven't had time to set up, but until I do my KAT remains the best MIDI controller ever. Still the king after (for me) almost 30!!! years.

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a Sensory Percussion set I haven't had time to set up, but until I do my KAT remains the best MIDI controller ever. Still the king after (for me) almost 30!!! years.
Yeah, the KAT is just a boss. I sometimes wish I still had it. We sold them in a music store I worked at when I was in college. I set up a demo where I didn't play any drum sounds on it. I programmed the drum part to "Valerie" by Steve Winwood on a drum machine and programmed all the KAT pads to play all the synth chord parts, which I triggered from a Yamaha module. Bass notes were programmed in different pads, and I could sustain all the notes by simply pushing the drum sticks into the pads. The bass line was triggered by a DW trigger pedal - the midi notes were timed to alternate the octave bass jumps in tempo by simply playing quarter notes with my right foot.

I didn't sell any KATS but I sure blew my coworkers away lol...