Evans 56 heads

LimaPop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Got mine, my initial impressions are very good. I played them side by side with some MV heads. The 56 heads have a similar tone to the MV but are better in dynamics, they play quieter and play louder than the MV. I love MV but struggled with their low dynamics, there seemed to be a threshold below which or above which they lost their tone, the 56 extend the range a whole lot. It will take some time to dial these in, and I have not tried a snare yet, but I'm a fan.

LimaPop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've now done the full kit (except the bass) and really like these heads, such a natural sound, much more organic then the MV or the Fiberskyn. The best part is their sensitivity, full tone at low volume, such a pleasure to play.....

gezz

DFO Star
Reaction score
Ok I ordered a 20" bass drum reso.. Full I won't port it. Batter will be a coated P3 with a small soft blanket laid against reso if need be

Gerry

LimaPop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
atomicmorganic said:
Limapop; What are you using for resos?
Right now there are Classic Clears on the Reso side, I will switch the G1 someday soon to be all Evans (keeping my CDO in check)

LimaPop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've now rolled the 56 heads on a Craviotto maple, DW Jazz Series and a Trick aluminum kit. I really like these heads, full tone from whisper to rage... No papery sound like the Fiberskyn or Skyntones, there are very Calf like. So fat no dents or roughness, they still look new after 30 or so hours of playing.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
I never heard a Skyntone sound papery.

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm still loving the sound but am having some durability issues with the bass drum. I think I've had two practices and a 1hour-ish gig all playing moderate volume music with pretty simple bass drum parts. D'addario has responded and the guy is now "disccussing with a colleague). I didn't use an impact pad because the head is 12mil PLUS the coating and I didn't want to put the plasticyness right back in.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Kcmcc said:
I'm still loving the sound but am having some durability issues with the bass drum. I think I've had two practices and a 1hour-ish gig all playing moderate volume music with pretty simple bass drum parts. D'addario has responded and the guy is now "disccussing with a colleague). I didn't use an impact pad because the head is 12mil PLUS the coating and I didn't want to put the plasticyness right back in.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
Oh dang, that's a shame.
Out of curiosity, do you bury the beater or let it bounce? I have noticed that some coatings are more sensitive to the heat that burying the beater creates, so it's not always the impact per se, but the constant rubbing and heat that ruins the head.

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Markkuliini said:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
Oh dang, that's a shame.
Out of curiosity, do you bury the beater or let it bounce? I have noticed that some coatings are more sensitive to the heat that burying the beater creates, so it's not always the impact per se, but the constant rubbing and heat that ruins the head.
I don't bury. It's possible that I need to re-align my beater a bit, as perhaps the top edge (I use a standard felt beater) instead of the whole face is hitting the head, but still that damage seems unreasonable after a fairly small amount of playing.

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Kcmcc said:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
Oh dang, that's a shame.
I don't bury. It's possible that I need to re-align my beater a bit, as perhaps the top edge (I use a standard felt beater) instead of the whole face is hitting the head, but still that damage seems unreasonable after a fairly small amount of playing.

Thanks for the info. Yeh, I agree, that's unreasonable. Especially if you think of their price...

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They are sending a free impact pad/patch, whichever one they say changes the head sound the least. They say that a patch should be used to start with.

I pointed out that A. This kind of seemed to defeat the purpose of using a head that specifically was made not to sound plasticky, and B. A head that was 12mil PLUS coating seemed like it would be durable enough to not use a patch. But I didn't push the issue of replacing the head, mostly because I still like it, but also partially because I wanted to see if they might do what I would consider the fully right thing voluntarily. I'm not upset, since I kind of agree that using a patch of some kind is sort of the standard these days, but I definitely would've liked to go from scratch. Luckily since I play with the beater a bit of center, and the damage is only in the coating not in the underlying film, I'll just be able to rotate the head a little to get an undamaged section under the beater and put the beater there.

Will report back on whether the pad changes the sound noticably, doubt that it will, and if it doesn't I'm still in love with the sound.

ian.lbc

Reaction score
very excited to hear feedback on these, been wanting to try them since i first heard of them

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
The right patch shouldn't sound plasticky. Moleskin? To my thinking the patch saves the head not by virtue of being indestructible, but by being replaceable.

larold

Reaction score
dexplosion said:
So, are these 7mil or 12mil?
I just got one for a snare. It seems like a 7mil to me. That's what's listed on amazon, too. For me, that's too thin for a snare, so I'm returning mine and hoping Evans comes out with a 12mil soon.

Robert Albiston

Reaction score
FYI. I've used a thin patch for the bass batter side, with no change in tonality, but perhaps a bit more focus. After year 2 with this arrangement and Calftones on all toms, no problems, just great feel and sound. 3-ply vintage kit from the 60s. Oh, the 20" bass drum can be a major bomb thrower when not assigned to small group jazz duty...sonic thunder.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A recap to my original post on the Evans 56 thread . These heads started bubbling not long after starting this thread . This was not just relegated to the snare head and I am not bashing these heads . I spoke to the Evans Rep and he told me there was a known problem with some batches and they would replace them . I decided to go back to the Remo Fiberskyn FD and Coated Ambassadors . I have never had any issues whatsoever with bubbling with the Remo Fiberskyn FD heads like I had with the Fiberskyn FA.