Evans 56 ( vs Kentville)

jaymandude

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi-

I have a few Kentville heads on 2 snares. They're great. Really great. Like , "my snare drums have never sounded this good" great.

I also live in Texas. Not so great in other ways. Humidity being the one thing we will concern ourself with at this juncture. Maybe the Kentville are more stable than calf. But they still move a lot. And I can deal with it. Sometimes :)

But I"m wondering... how do the Evans sound ? Let me know your experiences with them. (Fiberskyns bubble and peel in the middle, so those don't work for me. But there's still going to be that guy about 5-10 posts in who doesn't read the whole thread and recommends Remo fyberskyn. I'd like to thank you in advance for confiming my point )

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
I, too, would like to hear tales of the Evans 56, or is it 54? Getting ready to buy some batter-side snare drum heads. I am familiar with your Fibreskyn experience.

"poppies"

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've tried pretty much all the faux calf heads out there, even more exotic options like ASPR heads. Some sound great but don't last, some last but don't sound great, some feel good, some feel plasticky.

I've landed on Aquarian Vintage as the best option for my tastes: great sound, coating that lasts forever, good feel, even a nice subtle calf-esque cream color.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put the evans heads on my main set a couple of years ago. I loved the way they sounded and then they bubbled in the middles. I caught a wire on a brand new set of brushes and that was the end. I moved into Kentville and Bovid Natural heads. There is a big difference in the sound of the natural skins compared to the Evans (or Fiberskyns). I have one set with Evans UV1’s which are good for outdoor gigs (Buffalo can be humid in the summer). So that is my solution. I love the sound of natural skins but sometimes they aren't practical. I wouldn't bother with the calftones or fiberskyns for that matter. Remo Ambassadors or something comparable. Personally I like the UV1’s.

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll pile on with the bubbling complaint of Evans '56. They sound great, but start to bubble very quickly. I'm not a pounder either. I went back to coated Ambassadors. I'm curious about Kentville, though.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Count me as another "Never Again Evan's 56" drummer. If you think Fiberskyns delaminate and bubble Evan's in my opinion are worse. Fiberskyn quality is in batches. I have some that are over a decade old and well played, and are still in good condition; others didn't last too long. It's a crap shoot. NOTHING compares to the real animal skin heads, though. Keep the Kentvilles (or let me know when you post them in marketplace :) )

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have them on my kit and I love them.

They feel really good under the sticks, soft with a little give. They sound great for jazz IMHO and they do feel pretty natural, definitely different than say a G1. I haven't seen any delamination on mine, they're holding up really well, but I'm not a heavy hitter either. I've heard Evans has fixed the problem. Not sure if that's true though. For looks, they can't be beat either.

I'd recommend them.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like some others , I have tried every faux calfskin head as well . The Evans 56 was the worst for bubbling quickly that I experienced . The Remo Fiberskyn FA ( Ambassador ) was nowhere near as bad as the Evans and bubbling for me only happened on the snare drum batter head .
The Remo Fiberskyn FD ( diplomat ) has been great for me - no bubbling to date ( knock on wood) and it sounds far superior to my ear to the Fiberskyn FA or Evans 56 .

The Aquarian Modern Vintage Medium has been a head I have used for years - the coating is extremely thick and durable to the point to the point that I either sand it down a bit with sandpaper or just swish a brush around for a period of time to wear the coating down enough for smooth brush playing . The Aquarian MV heads get even better sounding as they get worn on a bit . Probably the best choice for a faux calfskin head .

jaymandude

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know, I find it crazy ( it must be me) that both Evans and Remo faux cow heads bubble, and there's no disclaimer or anything. Even if they don't change the formula. " Yeah, we know it sucks, and that you might snag a new pair or $28 brushes on the bubble and ruin them. We could have told you, but why would we do that ? Sorry not sorry. " Uhhhhh. Thanks ? For nothing ?

Thanks for the feedback. A few of my own.

Those Aquarian Vintage heads. Glad you like them. Not my thing.. UV1's tho, I might try that..

The Remos are great under a few conditions. When they get all dirty and worn in, after say 8-10 months, or longer. Thanks when they sound the best. Also if I don't wear the brush coating off. ( Not likely now, but used to happen). I have some coated Emperor tom heads that are over 5 years old that are perfect.

Maybe I'll try some Bovid. But the Kentville Heavies ? That's my jam..

Robert Albiston

Reaction score
I have the Evans 57 on a Modern Jazz kit ‘63 Slingerland. I used to have calfskins back in the day. They resist delamination and the bubbling problem was solved two or three years ago. The attack is clear, but softer than smooth or coated heads and I get a tone that is more musical and professional sounding than some pro drummers using fiberskyns and other types, though those Remos sound great on two pro’s vintage Gretchen kits I’ve heard. The 20” bass drum is a tone monster and had one pro about jump when he sat down to play. I kept the Evans UV1 and Evans Genera on my snares—those are dialed in to perfection and take a real beating. We’re I still doing show at CBGB or heavy stuff, I’d go for something else. It did take some break-in time and focus on tunings to dial in the great sound with these heads. I’m keeping them on this kit and am good with the UV1 and Aquarian Superkivk on my big Ludwig’s. Evans 57 is a joy on my kit, the envy of several very good drummers here.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even though I'm a fan of these Evans 56 heads, I'm also surprised that they marketed these heads knowing of the delamination problem. It's like a car company selling you a new car that they know the paint will start peeling in a year. It just wouldn't be done and I'm surprised Evans and Remo have done it.

I have heard however that Evans has fixed the delamination problem.

drummerfriend

Reaction score
I put a 56 on my snare about 2 weeks ago. I actually like the sound more than the Remo (FA and FD) which I have used a bunch in the past but have grown tired of the same bubbling issues. I personally do not like the Aquarian MV heads at all. Period.

Holding out to see if Evans head bubbles in the near future. If I don't see anything within the next 6 months, I may try them on my set. If they do, I will stick to coated G1's on top.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the Kent, calf, and oddly enough, the goat from Earthtone. I have a very large variety of major supplier heads. Some standard and some animal emulated.
I found the animal skins sound great if you want warmth and less attack. The non-animal heads add a more active attack ... and quite a bit more. For snares, if it’s for a retro sound, animal works great. Otherwise, I’m using a real snare head that isn’t trying to emulate animal skins. They just don’t do them justice.