Evans 56 ( vs Kentville)

Robert Albiston

Reaction score
Even though I'm a fan of these Evans 56 heads, I'm also surprised that they marketed these heads knowing of the delamination problem. It's like a car company selling you a new car that they know the paint will start peeling in a year. It just wouldn't be done and I'm surprised Evans and Remo have done it.

I have heard however that Evans has fixed the delamination problem.
Indeed. They are known for their R&D and precision. Before purchasing two years ago, I called the company to discuss the reports of the problem. He said they went back to the drawing board. I suggested they may have used the UV process, but don't know. The coating of the Fiberskyns are somewhat prone to erosion. The Evans has an interesting manufacturing process, fiberglass application over 7 mil.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another head that has not been discussed is the Evans J1 etched head . I found the J1 far more to my liking than the Evans 56 . The J1 was very nice for brush playing but had a tendency to dent fairly easily . If you aren’t a hard player these might be just up that person’s alley .

The Remo Skyntone are another great sounding faux calf head . Have not heard if they have the delamination issue . Just from a sound point of view they sound great .

"poppies"

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Another head that has not been discussed is the Evans J1 etched head . I found the J1 far more to my liking than the Evans 56 . The J1 was very nice for brush playing but had a tendency to dent fairly easily . If you aren’t a hard player these might be just up that person’s alley .

The Remo Skyntone are another great sounding faux calf head . Have not heard if they have the delamination issue . Just from a sound point of view they sound great .
Skyntones sound wonderful, but they also dent pretty easily, unfortunately.

Steele

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hi-

I have a few Kentville heads on 2 snares. They're great. Really great. Like , "my snare drums have never sounded this good" great.

I also live in Texas. Not so great in other ways. Humidity being the one thing we will concern ourself with at this juncture. Maybe the Kentville are more stable than calf. But they still move a lot. And I can deal with it. Sometimes :)

But I"m wondering... how do the Evans sound ? Let me know your experiences with them. (Fiberskyns bubble and peel in the middle, so those don't work for me. But there's still going to be that guy about 5-10 posts in who doesn't read the whole thread and recommends Remo fyberskyn. I'd like to thank you in advance for confiming my point )
Hi Jaymandude, Steele here from Kentville Drums. If you would like a few additional tips on tuning/storage/workarounds to get the most out of your roo heads in a humid climate please feel free to email me at info@kentvilledrums.com.au We have the basics outlined on the packaging which I'm sure you've already read, but there are a few more tips I can give you that may help. Glad to hear you are enjoying the heads so far

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
I, too, have had great success with the J1 Etched heads as snare batters. They are fantastic for brush work and last forever.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Jaymandude, Steele here from Kentville Drums. If you would like a few additional tips on tuning/storage/workarounds to get the most out of your roo heads in a humid climate please feel free to email me at info@kentvilledrums.com.au We have the basics outlined on the packaging which I'm sure you've already read, but there are a few more tips I can give you that may help. Glad to hear you are enjoying the heads so far
Hey Steele! can you share your humidity tips with all of us?
john

jaymandude

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll second this request. I have a roo head on one of my snares - LOVE THE SOUND - but am always a little worried about care.
I love them so much I am considering buying two more. But yeah, I’ve had a few interesting gigs with mine here in Texas.