Evans Calftone heads

dhartman

Reaction score
We have the 56 series on our drums at church.

If you want to play with brushes? It is a very smooth drum head. Not very good in my opinion for that.

Nice wide open ring to drum and also a thin head.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I thought it was supposed to be mellower and deeper than say coated ambassadors. Is that inaccurate?

R

RickP

I have the Calftones and have had them in for awhile now . They sound pretty good . The brush sweep sound is as previously stated very quiet compared to a standard coated drum head . The snarebhwad also has the start of some ply separation (bubbling) beginning. This after only a couple rehearsals with these heads . i plan to replace these with my usual Aquarian Modern Vintage Medium heads .

The new Evans UV-1 is an excellent head for brushes by the way .

nicmilliner

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was given some to check out and finally tried them on my tom and FT weekend before last on my Sonor vintage series kit. They seemed pretty cool overall but I'd like to hear them in a different room as the room I was in was pretty boomy.

The heads felt pretty good under the stick and not delicate. I'll be able to give a more objective review after another gig or two.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I need KABOOM sizes, not bop sizes.

buckwheat

Reaction score
I ordered the bop calftones and the 14" trash cymbal on Wed. so I will let you know what I think. Thanks for the replies.

Later, Dave

LimaPop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have them all around on 2 kits, a Craviotto maple and a DW Jazz series. I love the sound and feel of them and so far no bubbles or separations after a few months of steady play. I was using MV and theses are a great replacement as they have a similar deep/dark tone with plenty of sustain. They tune up easy and so far have held their tune as well as any Mylar head. They don't have the slap of the Fiberskyns, a much more organic tone.

Latest posts