Evans Calftone versus symphonic Strata 700

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
After trying a Calftone (Evans 56) I was going to order more. I noticed sales that were making the Strata 700 much cheaper. The description of the coating giving the look and feel of calf skin is identical for both. The Calftone is 7 mil, the Strata 700 is 7 mil. It would appear that they are identical except for logo. (Strata 700 shown as 7.5mm by some sellers.)

Has anyone else tried the Strata 700? I think I'm ordering a couple.

edit - I did order a couple 700's and a couple 1000's.

Last edited:

Philaiy9

Reaction score
Interesting. I believe Carter Mclean is playing those strata heads on one of his kits. They look like they wouldn't have an issue with bubbling. I bet the coating is pretty much the same principle as the Aquarian Modern/American Vintage in that it's just thicker than standard.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
After trying a Calftone (Evans 56) I was going to order more. I noticed sales that were making the Strata 700 much cheaper. The description of the coating giving the look and feel of calf skin is identical for both. The Calftone is 7 mil, the Strata 700 is 7 mil. It would appear that they are identical except for logo. (Strata 700 shown as 7.5mm by some sellers.)

Has anyone else tried the Strata 700? I think I'm ordering a couple.

edit - I did order a couple 700's and a couple 1000's.
I don't think they look to much alike. The Calftones have a more grainy look running through them that you can actually feel when you run your hand on it.

I'm interested in hearing your opinions.

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The heads came in and they are very different. Whereas the Calftone has a heavey coating that deadens the head the Strata coating is light and translucent, might even be etching on the head as opposes to coating.

So despite the same description of recreating the tone of a calfskin head Evans takes two very different approaches. I think I'll be happy with the Strata, especially the 10 mil version. As always it will probably depend on the particular snare drum.

dumbdrum

Reaction score
Is this a joke or am I that far behind the time, what is Strata 700 and Coda heads? I have never heard of them.

Thanks, Dave

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The heads came in and they are very different. Whereas the Calftone has a heavey coating that deadens the head the Strata coating is light and translucent, might even be etching on the head as opposes to coating.

So despite the same description of recreating the tone of a calfskin head Evans takes two very different approaches. I think I'll be happy with the Strata, especially the 10 mil version. As always it will probably depend on the particular snare drum.
Are they analogues to remo fyberskyn and remo renaissance in the approach? I haven’t seen either evans in person yet but have used both of the remo calf like heads and liked them

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this a joke or am I that far behind the time, what is Strata 700 and Coda heads? I have never heard of them.

Thanks, Dave
Yeah, I had never heard of these Evans Strata heads either.

@Sequimite , did you put these Strata heads on your whole kit or just the snare? Can you put these on toms?

halldorl

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a Strata 1000 head on a snare at my music school for years. No coating I believe since it never wore off and it was used A LOT.

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had some Strata tom heads years ago and they were very sticky (as in, the coating sticked to the paper box and peeled from the head). Did they somehow improve it now, or are they atill sticky?

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Are they analogues to remo fyberskyn and remo renaissance in the approach? I haven’t seen either evans in person yet but have used both of the remo calf like heads and liked them
That's what I'd consider the Remo equivalents to be, yes.

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I realize now that I didn't see the tom sizes because I was in the Bargain Basement at Steve Weiss. They do sell all sizes of the Strata 1000.

I opened all four boxes; no stickiness.

P1030557.JPG

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Strata = Renaissance?
Correct -- the Strata and Renaissance films were both (AFAIK) originally developed to replicate the "clear" calf heads seen on vintage timpani (and still on some items like Black Swamp tambourines), vs the Calftone / Fiberskyn / Skyntone that are meant to replicate the "opaque" calf heads seen on drumsets.

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I tried out the Strata 1000 on a Cask gum steambent shell on a Pearl free floater frame. The frame came with an Emperor X on it which I didn't care for. The Strata opened the drum up. I used a medium tuning which gave plenty of depth, in more ways than one; the red gum is naturally bassy and putting a 5.5" shell on the Pearl frame gave me a 7" deep snare. I"m liking it with no muffling and the hazy Strata coating works fine with brushes.

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, the strata is *sorta* like renaissance, and the closest calftone comparison would be fiberskyn but with way less of the stuff. I only have experience with those heads in orchestral contexts.

To me, the calftone is airier and poofier sounding, like a marshmallow. Strata sounds, well, like a renaissance.