Evans Drum head quality issues? **Updated Evans response**

natchomamma

Reaction score
I've been using Evans for 20 years. However, I've noticed that I have had several new heads with issues. One of the biggest issues is the aluminum rim. I have received heads where the rim is not circular. It is typically off were the seam/weld joint is located. Also when the ends are welded to gather they are misaligned. Evans was quick to replace them last time, but I'm putting heads on a brand new kit and I'm running into the same issue again. I would think that aluminum rim is critical to getting the head to seat correctly and tuning. Should I be concerned about this or just let it go?
IMG_5816.jpg
IMG_5818.jpg
IMG_5820.jpg

Lee Van Kief

Reaction score
I just bought a 16” Coated G1 that I didn’t inspect while I was in the store. The seam is so misshapen that it wouldn’t seat without some force, and there’s a speck of something under the coating. I’m returning it as soon as I can.

8F2592EA-898E-428B-B8DE-4325341E6DB6.jpeg

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to put down Evans but I've read about more QC issues with them than any other head manufacturer. Coating coming apart in pieces and now collar issues. I'd simply switch brands! No reason to accept any of this considering that everyone now makes quality heads. I use Aquarian and have had zero quality issues with any of the heads (and I've bought a lot of heads from them). Aquarian is a smaller company that really takes quality seriously. Even the collars they have on the heads are something else. And as much as I love Aquarian, if they started to have QC issues, I'd go elsewhere too.
Just my 2 cents!!

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been using Evans for 20 years. However, I've noticed that I have had several new heads with issues. One of the biggest issues is the aluminum rim. I have received heads where the rim is not circular. It is typically off were the seam/weld joint is located. Also when the ends are welded to gather they are misaligned. Evans was quick to replace them last time, but I'm putting heads on a brand new kit and I'm running into the same issue again. I would think that aluminum rim is critical to getting the head to seat correctly and tuning. Should I be concerned about this or just let it go?
View attachment 491047 View attachment 491048 View attachment 491049
I noticed that with Evans BD heads. One of the reasons I like Aquarian heads. Consistent build quality, including the aluminum hoops. The seams are even and smooth.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not to put down Evans but I've read about more QC issues with them than any other head manufacturer. Coating coming apart in pieces and now collar issues. I'd simply switch brands! No reason to accept any of this considering that everyone now makes quality heads. I use Aquarian and have had zero quality issues with any of the heads (and I've bought a lot of heads from them). Aquarian is a smaller company that really takes quality seriously. Even the collars they have on the heads are something else. And as much as I love Aquarian, if they started to have QC issues, I'd go elsewhere too.
Just my 2 cents!!
I like Aquarians too! I will say that the coating on the Evans UV-1 on my snare drum has held up as advertised.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Every Evan’s snare head I use always would pop out the collar. Mis shaped rims on them. They always replaced them for me free of charge. I switched back to remo and haven’t looked back.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Like others, I encourage getting a replacement. I’ve posted about the same collar problem before. Even if such a head can still fit, the sharp point at the collar can tear up a wrap or metal shell.

drummingbulldog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just bought new UV1's at GC. I have not used them yet so I'll check for that. I have never used only one brand since I'm under no contract. I've been running coated only for about 10 years now & have not had any issues with Evans except for the coating sticking to my nylon drum bags. Remo's don't do that. I have found I generally like the tone better from Evans & they seem to be more durable for me. I hope I didn't just buy some gimp heads for my kit.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not a one-brand drum head guy. I've often got three brands - sometimes even four (or more if you count resos) - on a given drum set. That's because each brand brings something different to the table that I may prefer for a given type of drum(s).

I think it's easy to see a mfg glitch on a new product and think the worst about a head company, but it doesn't necessarily mean the brand is bad or going downhill. It can happen with any company at a given time. I generally try to give all companies a little bit of a break, inform the retailer/mfg of any problem, and give them a chance to make it right. If you end up with a good head in the end then everyone wins, and you're set for a nice playing drum going forward. They usually will make things right. If they didn't, then I'd figure out my next move - and their product wouldn't be part of it.

It's never come to that in my experience, at least not with drum heads - and I've bought a lot of them from various brands over my 4+ decades of playing.

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I never had problems with Evans the last two years when I switched from Remo to them. This because I had issues with Remo's quality and pricing.

On the contrary. Heads from 2018 that saw a tour and studio use are almost like new.

And their tone is to die for.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the 20+ years I've been around this forum I've read about quality control problems with all of the drum head companies. Personally, I've had a problem with all of them. What that tells me is that none of the companies make products that are 100% perfect. I've been able to get the manufacturer to replace the head, and if it's a head that works for me I keep using it. Modern drum head manufacturing is not a fly by night operation that one guy sets up in his garage; there is a huge investment in equipment and shop and warehouse space, so they really are interested in making the best products they can. They are all competing with each other so that's even more incentive to do it right.

natchomamma

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Sounds like from now on I need to order in double and triplicate and pick the best and return the rest. Wish I did not have to do that.

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, I’ve honestly never had one with a rim that bad. I’ve had other issues though and Evan’s has been great about replacing stuff. I really, really hope their quality control isn’t starting to lax. :(

natchomamma

Reaction score
Well for those that say they have not seen issues before. Here is another nugget. This is a small disc that was cut from the mylar and it is trapped between the two plies. These are all brand new heads I purchased to rehead a brand new kit. I've pretty much found something wrong with everyone of them. I tried calling Evans a few minutes ago. Nobody answers the phone. I had to leave a VM. Will be interesting to see if they get back to me today.
IMG_0339.jpg

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
The coating that Evans sprays on their coated G1 & G2 batters is essentially just white paint that never fully cures. It's sticky, resulting in white marks on sticktips & cymbals and white paint impressions on the interiors of bags.
Humid conditions will exacerbate this annoyance.

See my thread - Done with coated EVANS! | [DFO] Drum Forum

Last edited: