Evans Drum head quality issues? **Updated Evans response**

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
I only have used the coated G1's, and quite a bit, but I have definitely noticed this^^^^, pretty much. Haven't they improved the coating in the last two years or something? Isn't that what the UV thing is supposed to address?

The bummer about the ill-formed hoops is that Evans' smaller profile hoop fits on some of my vintage drums and in rims that others' - including Aquarian, which I use A TON and love - just won't.

As we know, Evans is now under the thumb of....g-g-g-guitar players! (Hurts to say it!).

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I noticed that with Evans BD heads. One of the reasons I like Aquarian heads. Consistent build quality, including the aluminum hoops. The seams are even and smooth.
Theoretically, putting Evans heads on a new Ludwig kit would result in a thread that would crash DFO's servers.

Dan
I wonder what that thread would be like if Aquarian would be those replacement Ludwig heads. I actually see a lot of Evans on Ludwigs but barely see Aquarian. When I got my Classic Maples last year, first thing I did was take off all the factory Remo's and replace them with coated Aquarians. They sound fantastic!

Last edited:

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I wonder what that thread would be like if Aquarian would be those replacement Ludwig heads. I actually see a lot of Evans on Ludwigs but barely see Aquarian. When I got my Classic Maples last year, first thing I did was take off all the factory Remo's and replace them with coated Aquarians. They sound fantastic!
Maybe because Aquarians seem to be out of favor with big box stores. The local SA has a room full of Remo and Evans, and maybe 20 total Aquarian heads. Accord the local GC. I prefer to inspect befor I buy, if possible.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hoss..... where's @hsosdrum

View attachment 491070

we Got work to do..
Switch to calfskin. You get wood rims that you know will fit your drums, you tuck your own skins around them and you mount them on the drum wet and tighten 'em down enough so they'll form a perfect collar on that exact bearing edge while they dry. Plus, if you take care of them and don't play like an idiot they'll last a lifetime.

The only downside is that everyone will have to learn how to tune their drums, because you'll be doing it several times a day... :shock:

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Never liked Evans. We could go back to the beginning with their molded plastic hoops that flexed all over the place on their hydraulic heads, not good. Then they started some nonsense about the heads tone by tightening up the collar, which I bought into for awhile. But. Too many uneven issues. I went back to Remo over 15 years ago and never bought another Evans head again.

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Never liked Evans. We could go back to the beginning with their molded plastic hoops that flexed all over the place on their hydraulic heads, not good. Then they started some nonsense about the heads tone by tightening up the collar, which I bought into for awhile. But. Too many uneven issues. I went back to Remo over 15 years ago and never bought another Evans head again.
Oh man, I remember those plastic hoops. They were the worst. The head would flex like crazy when you tensioned the drum.

Last edited:

florian1

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ive been an Evans guy my whole life...never liked Remo - BUT I am warming up to Aquarian heads. Loving their P2 batters on my home kit, may swap heads on my tour and studio kit over if they hold up.

F

Acidwash

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard for me to complain about a company that puts out a single ply head with an almost indestructible coating. If I ran Evans, I wouldn’t have even released the UV series, as it drops one’s need/desire to change heads quite drastically.

natchomamma

Reaction score
**Update**

Evans has responded to my inquiry. I sent them over the photos and they have responded by saying that these are "within spec" based on the photos. However, will be sending me replacements.

wayne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I see Evans is having a promo on 22"bass drum heads only. I think they are 12 bucks off. Is this because they are "seconds"??

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I see Evans is having a promo on 22"bass drum heads only. I think they are 12 bucks off. Is this because they are "seconds"??
I got a 22" EMAD last week with the deal, no issues at all. I also recently bought a G1 coated head and G2 clear heads with no issues either. Every factory puts out duds once in a while.