Evans Drum head quality issues? **Updated Evans response**

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I decided to give Aquarian a try. Look ad the quality of the hoop and the weld. Significant difference and everyone I looked at was the same.
Nice QC on those.. and Aquarian are made in Mexico......... their factory does a good job.. they pay attention to details...

Evans is from a USA facility... no ??

natchomamma

Reaction score
Well, I received my Evans "replacements" about two weeks later. 2 of the 4 looked like this. I think they have quality issues and this should confirm it! Even more disappointing, I reached out to Eric Ricciardi VP of Percussion @ D'Addario asking him to contact me directly and he never responded.

To put this in perspective, I ordered 9 heads from Aquarian from two different suppliers and they ALL looked like the pic I posted earlier (perfect).

image1.jpeg

image0.jpeg

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah ok, that is not much interpretation left there. I think the picture is clear enough.

Was this a 360 branded head or the new ones? I only have the 360 branded heads. So I'm starting to wonder if the newer heads do have more quality issues.
I never had a problem with anything Evans until the Level 360 heads were introduced. I actually took off an old G2 and replaced it with a Level 360 G2...and THAT head was snug, which puzzled me and ticked me off. It did sound OK. I didn't think of checking the weld, but I probably should have. And the coated G2s that I put on another drumset, replacing coated Emperors, was a considerably deader sound. Look, I understand that a rule of retail is "always have something new to sell", but sometimes I feel like some of this stuff is smoke and mirrors or worse.

Dan

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In
I never had a problem with anything Evans until the Level 360 heads were introduced. I actually took off an old G2 and replaced it with a Level 360 G2...and THAT head was snug, which puzzled me and ticked me off. It did sound OK. I didn't think of checking the weld, but I probably should have. And the coated G2s that I put on another drumset, replacing coated Emperors, was a considerably deader sound. Look, I understand that a rule of retail is "always have something new to sell", but sometimes I feel like some of this stuff is smoke and mirrors or worse.

Dan
Interesting.

So far 2 years, tours, and all with the same heads and no issues whatsoever.

Actually. The heads on the 10'', 15,'', 18'' and 22' are on this kit for over a year:
http://instagr.am/p/CGSzQ2ppTcl/
I will check the hoop on one if the new heads I just got and is still in the box.

Last edited:

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
I’m a fan of the UV1’s. I’ve had them for over a year and they still sound great and look basically new. What they aren’t is cheap. I bought a set for my Mod Orange Element SE’s, which are going to replace a raggedy Coda kit at my buddy’s jam room.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice QC on those.. and Aquarian are made in Mexico......... their factory does a good job.. they pay attention to details...

Evans is from a USA facility... no ??
Not everything from Aquarian is made in Mexico. Some are made here as well from what I have understood.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been reading through this thread since it was first started. What I don't understand is the: "I called Evans and they were so nice that they replaced the heads" + "Some flake but others don't" etc...
Give me a break!
Stop being so brand centric and get something where you don't have to contact anybody. As shown here, Aquarian's QC and construction is superior and their is no denying it. The difference in sound and feel vs. any of the 3 won't be enough to justify purchasing a product that gives you a headache. If you read through years of posts, no QC issues ever with Aquarian but Evans and Remo have tons of stories of good periods & bad ones. Put your money on what will give you what you paid for. Aquarian costs more but their is a reason for that. I won't use anything else!
That's just me though, brand doesn't dictate where my money goes. I like buying whatever gives me the least problems.

Last edited:

Trey Gray

Pro
Reaction score
I've been reading through this thread since it was first started. What I don't understand is the: "I called Evans and they were so nice that they replaced the heads" + "Some flake but others don't" etc...
Give me a break!
Stop being so brand centric and get something where you don't have to contact anybody. As shown here, Aquarian's QC and construction is superior and their is no denying it. The difference in sound and feel vs. any of the 3 won't be enough to justify purchasing a product that gives you a headache. If you read through years of posts, no QC issues ever with Aquarian but Evans and Remo have tons of stories of good periods & bad ones. Put your money on what will give you what you paid for. Aquarian costs more but their is a reason for that. I won't use anything else!
That's just me though, brand doesn't dictate where my money goes. I like buying whatever gives me the least problems.
I actually have had some Aquarian issues with their double ply heads. Sometimes there would be a wrinkle that just wouldn't come out. Every time they replaced no questions asked. I'm still totally in love with their coating as well. If I buy a double ply Remo head I just tap it and find the most resonant one. I'm enjoying some of the revamped Attack clear heads as well.

Cheers and blessings, Trey

ARGuy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually have had some Aquarian issues with their double ply heads. Sometimes there would be a wrinkle that just wouldn't come out. Every time they replaced no questions asked. I'm still totally in love with their coating as well. If I buy a double ply Remo head I just tap it and find the most resonant one. I'm enjoying some of the revamped Attack clear heads as well.

Cheers and blessings, Trey
I have also had issues with Aquarian heads. I had the coating flake off as well as issues with double ply heads. Also, because they use a flesh hoop that is beefier their heads don't fit all my drums very well.
I said it before and I'll say it again - NO COMPANY MAKES A 100% PERFECT PRODUCT!!! The key is how they deal with problems with their products. All the drum head companies have stood behind their products in my experience. I will use heads from any of the four drumhead companies (including Attack) because they all have something to offer me and the drums I play.

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have an Aquarian head on an aluminum drum I bought from someone here and it sounds fine, drum and all but yeah, it's flaked.

I'm a Remo guy but I have a bunch of Evan's dry snare heads and today I was man caving. Sorting and setting up some stuff, hockey game on, Pens lost. Re-headed and rimmed a cheap snare I have and put an Evens head on it. Playing it now because it sounds good.

Update later but for now it's working.

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not everything from Aquarian is made in Mexico. Some are made here as well from what I have understood.
All the drum heads are made in Mexico... I recently asked one of the reps there at Aquarian... Chris Brady. .. I asked him if anything was left being produced in USA.. and he said ... No.. they had moved ALL production to Mexico over 15 years ago.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
All the drum heads are made in Mexico... I recently asked one of the reps there at Aquarian... Chris Brady. .. I asked him if anything was left being produced in USA.. and he said ... No.. they had moved ALL production to Mexico over 15 years ago.
Wow! Didn't know that. Thanks

David M Scott

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard for me to complain about a company that puts out a single ply head with an almost indestructible coating. If I ran Evans, I wouldn’t have even released the UV series, as it drops one’s need/desire to change heads quite drastically.
Except when UV1 coating starts to pit within a month after installation. I'm and old Jazzer (80) and don't hit hard, play a lot of brushes and have never, ever broken a head or stick while playing.
I bought a UV1 for my snare on recommendation of a post here and shortly the surface started to pit. I contacted Evans and they had their Canadian distributor ship me a replacement n.c. Within a month the second head dod the same thing. Evans also replaced a 10in Calftone that bubbled so I can't complain about their warranty but geez it's discouraging. I'm not going back to them on the second UV1 i'll just swap it out for the Remo FiberSkyn on my other snare that has been there three years and looks, plays and sounds like new. Sigh..I did give it "the old college try" with Evans.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Give me a break!
I’ve never had a single issue with a REMO head , I’d like to try Aquarian but no one stocks them in what I’d like to try .
I also change heads very rarely .

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve never had a single issue with a REMO head , I’d like to try Aquarian but no one stocks them in what I’d like to try .
If you've never had issues and like the Remo's, I'd just stay with them. Soundwise, Aquarian's aren't much different. I just like them because the collar on the heads are really beefy. And as far as QC, I think Remo just had a bad period years ago. When it comes to people complaining, It seems that Evans is the one with the most problems.
I guess it's luck of the draw with anything though!

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just to even the playing field, many years ago I owned a Mapex M series and went to replace all the batters with Aquarian Studio X heads. After receiving the batch I found some would not go over the shell of the tom. It wasn't even a wrap, it was a lacquer finish. So because of this I could not use the heads. I don't recall the outcome but it was a huge disappointment. Other than that, no surprises with Aquarian, Evans or Remo. I've been lucky.

feelyat

Reaction score
Until recently, I would've said the same, but I took an Ambassador Coated 14 out of the box to change heads on a recent snare purchase, and I was surprised to see little bumps on the underside of the head, almost like ripples on a lake.

IMG_2622.JPG

I'd never seen that before, and I had another one that was totally fine.

I took it back to the store where I bought it (fortunately local), and they exchanged it as defective, no questions asked. Like others have said, no head manufacturer makes a perfect product all of the time. What's important is how they respond when you have an issue.