Evans heads still failing

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I play nothing but Evans heads. I have multiple kits outfitted with them top and bottom. I have only had 1 head out of probably 40 or so to have any problems. It was a 12" coated G2 batter that after a year of being on a drum went dead. I had heard rumors that Evans sound great one day then the next, dead. Its only happened to one head of mine. None of my coated heads have experienced the "sticky" coating. None have blistered, none have chipped, none have worn off the finish and transferred the coating to my cymbals. They have all (but the one coated G2) performed flawlessly. I have my drums all packed up in long term storage right now with the Evans heads on them. I would be curious once I get them out of storage if the heads will still sound good, will have a "sticky" film on them, or will have blistering that causes problems, but somehow I doubt it.

Heavy Beech

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your issues regarding the heads ... Evans / Daddarrio are very consistent in their manufacture. But if there is an issue they are the type of company that addresses something if it comes up , especially as they’re made in house , like Remo is in California ;
Beyond their customer 800#, have you tried emailing anyone there , or calling their main office in NY and ask to speak to a product manager ? Don’t mean that in a bad way at all , just thought to mabe get to someone directly who can assist you and talk about the trouble you had .

For me it’s odd as I’ve used Evans the majority of the time for many years due to consistency and have excellent tone/ response , very dynamic , Plus found Evans to be very durable . Never had the problem you mentioned .. I like to be able to pull a head out of the box and have it ready to go , and sound same as last one - and , for me , Evans hits that mark every time . Recording, live gigs here and touring , they never failed me.
Hopefully you can reach someone there and get it squared away ; on each Evans Hoop? Is a code .. for referrence in case anything comes up and they can use that hoop code to zero in on a problem down the production batch they
Came out of ;
Regardless , I hope you’re able to find a solution!

Old Drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've had two UV1 heads for over a year with zero problems. In fact, I love 'em. Apparently, there were some bad batches and there can be quality control problems. Too bad. They're great heads when they're made as intended. If I had the experiences of the OP, I too would swear off Evans, but my experience has been good.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same here. The “snap” and “twang” went away with 360 and they went all “mooh” instead.
Peanuts_That'sIt!.jpg

I was trying to figure out how to describe why I don't like newer Evans heads, but you nailed it Halldor.
Man, the original Genera's were great. Why did they have to go and mess with them. :disgust:

fusseltier

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I've posted that I've had 2 14in UV1s and a 10in Calftone all with surface problems. As mentioned Evans replaced the first two but the replacement UV1 did the same thing.. pitted within the first month. I haven't gone back for warranty as I'm guessing the Canadian distributor has a bunch of offsorts. Now I didn't mention that last year I was overhauling my Rock snare.. 1969 10 lug heavy chrome over steel Coronet/Pearl. As part of the renew I installed an Evans G12 batter. I'm hosting an outdoor Blues/Rock jam next week so I hauled out the Pearl and started tuning. I immediately noticed two surface pits or at least spots where coating didn't adhere to the Mylar. Now I had only laid a stick on this head when mounting it a year agi to get drum near tuning range. Well today I tuned it up where I wanted it and
started playing. "Blam" more pits showing ! I know I should contact Evans again but it's just too much hassle and the dealer refers me back to them. Sorry Evans.. I do appreciate the two replacements you did give me but your quality control problems have soured me totally on your product.
what are you hitting them with? or how hard do you play? I've never broken a one ply head and I've been playing Evans for 35 years.
maybe the angle you hit is a bit too sharp. or just stop banging the crap out of the drums.

dyland

Reaction score
After the nuclear apocalypse, the giant cockroaches will be driving our pinstripe-outfitted drums to gigs in 22r Toyota pickups. Maybe a few will have Black Dot heads and straight-six Broncos, but it will be mostly pinstripes and Toyotas.
And all their gas pedals will be DW 5000s.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When they went "360" I decided I'd had enough and went back to Remo.
I've since accented my Remo's with Aquarian's and couldn't be happier.

Elvis
Yup. Not to drag the story out again, but replacing my old clear G2s on my Superstars with the Level 360 actually resulted in a TIGHTER fit.

Not cool, guys, especially after you sold us a bill of goods with the marketing.

I still like the EMAD bass drum heads, but between the tight Level 360s and the deader coated G2s (also Level 360) on my Ludwig kit, bye bye Evans.
I now use Remo, some EMADS, some Aquarians, and even some Attack heads, which I think are underrated.

Dan

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
I’m not particularly dogmatic about heads, I’ve used all of the “big three” at one time or another. I love Remo’s Vintage Coated Emperor over coated Ambassadors on my 70’s Ludwig three ply 14/16/18 tons, but they don’t work on my two 12/14/22 kits. What wound up working for me was Evans UV1’s over clear DW branded Ambassadors. I love the UV 1’s—-durable and sound good at different tunings. One of my kits are tuned up in jazz range, the other low and they both sound great.
Bass drum heads—-Aquarian Super Kick or Evans EQ3. Remo has never made a bass drum head that I’ve liked.
Snare batter heads—-mostly Ludwig Medium Coated, although coated Ambassadors as a default.
Also, I was a Pinstripe guy for years—-I started having some issues with the collars and eventually wound up with the current edition of the EC2’s on my Classic Birch kit. I like the way they sound at low to mid tunings. I’ve had zero issues.

David M Scott

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
what are you hitting them with? or how hard do you play? I've never broken a one ply head and I've been playing Evans for 35 years.
maybe the angle you hit is a bit too sharp. or just stop banging the crap out of the drums.
If you followed all my threads you'd know that I'm 81, use a lot of brushes, and I have never broken a head
playing in 65+ years. I'm sorry your so sensitive but the fact remains that Evan's has had a quality glitch.. happens to every company eventually, but aren't apparently rotating the distributors inventory. The replacement heads the Canadian distributor sent me.. a 10in Calftone and a 14in UV1 were both 3 years old according to the date on the hoop.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Bud
I'm just one of the few here with concerns regarding Evans quality control or lack thereof ...or maybe your not reading all the posts.
David
I think what some people ( and I hate speaking for others ) may be saying on not so few words , is that we see a lot of threads started complaining about product without ever giving the Company the chance to make it right . I realize that you are not the case on your situation . It seems to have become a commonality on forums for someone to join up , complain about a company and we never hear from them again . Those type of complaints I take with a grain of salt . I far prefer seeing threads like yours where you have done your due diligence and are still not getting satisfaction . A thread like yours provides value in warning us of an issue and what to expect response wise .

Everyone of us I think has had some negative experience with some Company at some time . It is the way the Company responds to make things right that says a lot about a company to me and whether I would want to do business with them .

fusseltier

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you followed all my threads you'd know that I'm 81, use a lot of brushes, and I have never broken a head
playing in 65+ years. I'm sorry your so sensitive but the fact remains that Evan's has had a quality glitch.. happens to every company eventually, but aren't apparently rotating the distributors inventory. The replacement heads the Canadian distributor sent me.. a 10in Calftone and a 14in UV1 were both 3 years old according to the date on the hoop.
the only time I had a bad evans was due to shipping not quality.

David M Scott

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
David
I think what some people ( and I hate speaking for others ) may be saying on not so few words , is that we see a lot of threads started complaining about product without ever giving the Company the chance to make it right . I realize that you are not the case on your situation . It seems to have become a commonality on forums for someone to join up , complain about a company and we never hear from them again . Those type of complaints I take with a grain of salt . I far prefer seeing threads like yours where you have done your due diligence and are still not getting satisfaction . A thread like yours provides value in warning us of an issue and what to expect response wise .

Everyone of us I think has had some negative experience with some Company at some time . It is the way the Company responds to make things right that says a lot about a company to me and whether I would want to do business with them .
Thank you for reading all my posts and understanding that I harbour no ill will to Evans, I'm sure if I survive a few more years I'll try them again.. delivered to the care home of course !

SplineSpider

Reaction score
So I've posted that I've had 2 14in UV1s and a 10in Calftone all with surface problems. As mentioned Evans replaced the first two but the replacement UV1 did the same thing.. pitted within the first month. I haven't gone back for warranty as I'm guessing the Canadian distributor has a bunch of offsorts. Now I didn't mention that last year I was overhauling my Rock snare.. 1969 10 lug heavy chrome over steel Coronet/Pearl. As part of the renew I installed an Evans G12 batter. I'm hosting an outdoor Blues/Rock jam next week so I hauled out the Pearl and started tuning. I immediately noticed two surface pits or at least spots where coating didn't adhere to the Mylar. Now I had only laid a stick on this head when mounting it a year agi to get drum near tuning range. Well today I tuned it up where I wanted it and
started playing. "Blam" more pits showing ! I know I should contact Evans again but it's just too much hassle and the dealer refers me back to them. Sorry Evans.. I do appreciate the two replacements you did give me but your quality control problems have soured me totally on your product.
I don't get paid to haul water for Evan's (Maybe I should) I have used Evan's heads on toms and snares for 40 years because of durability. That said. I use clear double pinstripe EC2 heads on Tom's and snares. I do like Aquarian bass drum heads but EMAD2 Evan's on kicks works well. I recently purchased some Evan's '56 Calftone heads for a snare and it immediately Started delaminating. I've played real animal skin heads this isn't really close and the wear certainly is NOT there. I think you are better creating those Sounds using recording tricks used players. A towel or a magazine on the head. This is where the forum veteran recording experts like Chris Whitten
could tell you the best way to achieve that sound.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I used to use Evans all the time, had a connection with a dealer here on the forum and got a good price on them. Then I noticed the sticky coating issues developing and that turned me off. I went back to Aquarian which I hadn’t used as much in recent years and now I prefer them for almost everything. I do keep Ludwig coated heads around for my Ludwig metal snares (and I have a couple of NOS heads in other sizes) but I choose Aquarian for everything else. Between the regular Texture Coated, the TC with dot, and the Modern Vintage I am able to find a great sound for every snare.
I’ve read on DFO that Aquarian re-formulated their mylar film. Not sure when that happened. If you’ve played the before and after versions, can you comment on any differences?

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve read on DFO that Aquarian re-formulated their mylar film. Not sure when that happened. If you’ve played the before and after versions, can you comment on any differences?
Yes that's true. I did prefer the older heads but can't put my finger on why. The new ones are still great.

David M Scott

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't get paid to haul water for Evan's (Maybe I should) I have used Evan's heads on toms and snares for 40 years because of durability. That said. I use clear double pinstripe EC2 heads on Tom's and snares. I do like Aquarian bass drum heads but EMAD2 Evan's on kicks works well. I recently purchased some Evan's '56 Calftone heads for a snare and it immediately Started delaminating. I've played real animal skin heads this isn't really close and the wear certainly is NOT there. I think you are better creating those Sounds using recording tricks used players. A towel or a magazine on the head. This is where the forum veteran recording experts like Chris Whitten
could tell you the best way to achieve that sound.
My Remo Diplomat FiberSkyn is at least 4 years old and gas been on at least 2 if not three snares, played lots and still in great shape. Others report delams with FS heads. All mfrs go through teething problems with new products. In all aspects I go with what works for me until it fails and that includes material things and people.
salute

Jawshoeuh

Reaction score
I remember hearing more than a few tales of horrible quality control at Remo over the years, but don't think I've ever had significant issues with any heads from any brand... just lucky I guess, lol.

I've always kinda vaguely preferred Remo>Aquarian>Evans, but ime they all make fine products, and each has heads that I like/dislike. Attack heads are great too, but way less experience with them.

David M Scott

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember hearing more than a few tales of horrible quality control at Remo over the years, but don't think I've ever had significant issues with any heads from any brand... just lucky I guess, lol.

I've always kinda vaguely preferred Remo>Aquarian>Evans, but ime they all make fine products, and each has heads that I like/dislike. Attack heads are great too, but way less experience with them.
I was intrigued by Attack as well. Apparently they were available in Canada but since new buyers it's no longer the case. So I contacted them and they had a U.S. dealer contact me. I placed an order and they shipped but didn't get the documentation correct for export to Canada.
UPS insisted that they return the heads to the sender/dealer and that's what happened and the dealer refunded my PayPal.
So I can order through Amazon or ebay but at significantly, and I mean significantly higher cost so for now i'll stay "Attackless"