Evans heads still failing

Markkuliini

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’ve read on DFO that Aquarian re-formulated their mylar film. Not sure when that happened. If you’ve played the before and after versions, can you comment on any differences?
Seems like 2012.

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was intrigued by Attack as well. Apparently they were available in Canada but since new buyers it's no longer the case. So I contacted them and they had a U.S. dealer contact me. I placed an order and they shipped but didn't get the documentation correct for export to Canada.
UPS insisted that they return the heads to the sender/dealer and that's what happened and the dealer refunded my PayPal.
So I can order through Amazon or ebay but at significantly, and I mean significantly higher cost so for now i'll stay "Attackless"
I've been a "big 3" guy forever. A few years ago I refurbed a garage stored shell pack that I got for free. I purchased a pair of Attack heads for the metal snare, (single coated batter and clear reso combo). Within hours of testing out the heads the coating started coming off the batter. I'm not a hard hitter and this was basically during the tuning phase. I am not impressed with Attack coated heads but all in all I don't care about the appearance of the head so it wasn't a big deal but a concern if it is that easy to destroy the coating on a brand new head.

Heavy Beech

Reaction score
I’ve read on DFO that Aquarian re-formulated their mylar film. Not sure when that happened. If you’ve played the before and after versions, can you comment on any differences?
They did. Think it was around , roughly , 2011 or so? Close to that .. but their older Mylar was slightly hazy , not unlike a hazy ambassador looking film. It was very strong as far as durability , and had more warmth than the clear Mylar they use now which to my ears sounded better . Though I’ve been using Evans for so long , since the early 90s , but occasionally tried the odd Remo /Aquarian If my shop was out of stock on what I use. Think Aquarian moved production to Mexico too.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. Not to drag the story out again, but replacing my old clear G2s on my Superstars with the Level 360 actually resulted in a TIGHTER fit.

Not cool, guys, especially after you sold us a bill of goods with the marketing.

I still like the EMAD bass drum heads, but between the tight Level 360s and the deader coated G2s (also Level 360) on my Ludwig kit, bye bye Evans.
I now use Remo, some EMADS, some Aquarians, and even some Attack heads, which I think are underrated.

Dan
I tried the Remo Classic Fit heads on a Gretsch RB kit that I had - you know, the heads that they specifically designed for drums with oversized shells. They didn't fit any better than regular Remo heads did.
I suppose I should say -
Not cool guys, especially after you sold us a bill of goods with the marketing.
You know what did fit? Evans 360 UV1's.
What have I learned from this?
Don't take it personally when heads don't fit your drums.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. Not to drag the story out again, but replacing my old clear G2s on my Superstars with the Level 360 actually resulted in a TIGHTER fit.

Not cool, guys, especially after you sold us a bill of goods with the marketing.

I still like the EMAD bass drum heads, but between the tight Level 360s and the deader coated G2s (also Level 360) on my Ludwig kit, bye bye Evans.
I now use Remo, some EMADS, some Aquarians, and even some Attack heads, which I think are underrated.

Dan
Thanks for the reminder.
Will have to check out Attack, next time I need heads.

Elvis

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
News to me.
I know Remo had to change how they made heads, due to getting the big finger wag from the EPA.
I'd be interested to read the story on Aquarian.

Seems like 2012.
All that article says is that they decided to name the new film "Nu Brite".
What I'm wondering is WHY they changed films?

Elvis

Last edited:

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't think any of these guys make their own Mylar.
Probably outsource it to a 3rd party.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been a "big 3" guy forever. A few years ago I refurbed a garage stored shell pack that I got for free. I purchased a pair of Attack heads for the metal snare, (single coated batter and clear reso combo). Within hours of testing out the heads the coating started coming off the batter. I'm not a hard hitter and this was basically during the tuning phase. I am not impressed with Attack coated heads but all in all I don't care about the appearance of the head so it wasn't a big deal but a concern if it is that easy to destroy the coating on a brand new head.
Attack is owned by Cardinal Percussion now and IIRC they are making them different, maybe somewhere different too. I used to like Attack heads on snares (never had the coating problem you mentioned), especially the Terry Bozzio head. Just opened up my last NOS Bozzio head about a month ago. I look forward to trying the new ones at some point.

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Remo classic fit head is measurably different from Remo's standard head. If you experience something to the contrary, that would be exceptional.

Last edited:

David M Scott

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
After the nuclear apocalypse, the giant cockroaches will be driving our pinstripe-outfitted drums to gigs in 22r Toyota pickups. Maybe a few will have Black Dot heads and straight-six Broncos, but it will be mostly pinstripes and Toyotas.
Oh yeah they go on and on. And they give almost any sound you can invent. After using coated, Calftone etc on my toms for Jazz and listening to self recordings of same, I hauled out the old clear pinstripes.. they're at least 7 years old and played a lot. They immediately gave me that nice clean tone I was missing with the others especially tuned high.
This coming Saturday I'm hosting my regular outdoor music jam.. Blues.. traditional and Soft Rock.
So I put external mufflers on the toms and Bingo..phat 70s sound ! Pinstripes to me are the most versatile, durable heads i've ever owned. I'm sure there will be many who disagree but at 81 i'm sure i'll proceed the Pinstripes to that big jam in the sky ! I'll be sure and mention the Cockroaches in my Last Will and Testament !

Slingwig26

Reaction score
So I've posted that I've had 2 14in UV1s and a 10in Calftone all with surface problems. As mentioned Evans replaced the first two but the replacement UV1 did the same thing.. pitted within the first month. I haven't gone back for warranty as I'm guessing the Canadian distributor has a bunch of offsorts. Now I didn't mention that last year I was overhauling my Rock snare.. 1969 10 lug heavy chrome over steel Coronet/Pearl. As part of the renew I installed an Evans G12 batter. I'm hosting an outdoor Blues/Rock jam next week so I hauled out the Pearl and started tuning. I immediately noticed two surface pits or at least spots where coating didn't adhere to the Mylar. Now I had only laid a stick on this head when mounting it a year agi to get drum near tuning range. Well today I tuned it up where I wanted it and
started playing. "Blam" more pits showing ! I know I should contact Evans again but it's just too much hassle and the dealer refers me back to them. Sorry Evans.. I do appreciate the two replacements you did give me but your quality control problems have soured me totally on your product.
I have noticed that too, in the last few years. Especially the black coating. Very “tacky”. And I LIKE Evans.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
"Not cool guys, especially after you sold us a bill of goods with the marketing."

I could see if I said something like, "How dare they do this to me, a longtime customer", but what I said hardly rises to that level. Level 360, even. :)
So yeah, we'll disagree on that. Nothing personal!

Dan

David M Scott

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have noticed that too, in the last few years. Especially the black coating. Very “tacky”. And I LIKE Evans.
I really like the Evans sound as well. The UV1 on my Brass Cat snare was controlled but definitive and it's in my opinion hands down the best for brushes i've every played. I have a 1969 Pearl 10 lug heavy chrome/steel snare I use for Blues, Country and Soft Rock. I like it tuned dry and phat. I was using Ambassadors coated and sound was ok but then I put on an Evans G12 and wow.. everything I want is in that head. It even sounds great with heavy brushes as in Live Wires. Unfortunately right out of the box I noticed 2 spots where the coating had come off the Mylar. And the more I play it the more tiny pits i'm seeing. But sound wise Evans has it made. I know many here will encourage me to try Aquarian, Attack etc but I have to order those on line and that is a hassle. So my local dealers carry Evans and
Remo and I can live with that. Just hope Evans can solve quality control issues.

Corbin L Douthitt

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
As stated above the Evans coated G1, G2, and G12 batters I've owned have stuck to my bag lids because their painted-on coating never fully cures. It's sticky. It gets on the drumstick tips too, then you'll see residual coating dots all over your cymbals & hats.

I've been thru this issue twice with Evans Customer service so they eventually sent me some replacement UV1s which was nice but I won't buy their regular coated G-series batters ever again. They're Sticky.
I wonder if baking them with a heat lamp would cure them?