header.nohb.html

Evans Strata Snare drum head: what to expect?

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
I bought one upon recommendation in my snare head thread. What should I expect from it compared to the default (Remo Coated Ambassador)? What would it compare to? It is a beautiful head.

HalldorL

DFO Master
Reaction score
The Strata 1000 is not far from an Ambassador, a bit warmer sounding. Best snare head Evans offers IMO. The Strata Staccato is also nice, has a very narrow dampening ring underneath, smaller than usual.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Strata 1000 is not far from an Ambassador, a bit warmer sounding. Best snare head Evans offers IMO. The Strata Staccato is also nice, has a very narrow dampening ring underneath, smaller than usual.
How's the coating?

Commodore

Reaction score
I bought one upon recommendation in my snare head thread. What should I expect from it compared to the default (Remo Coated Ambassador)? What would it compare to? It is a beautiful head.
@Drdrumdude3009

It is as close to skins ...as I am able to remember!

All it takes is a "tea towel" draped on a corner of the drum to sound like I remember skins sounding...

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I am normally a Remo guy, but the head sounds intriguing enough to inspire me to order one. Mine will be here Friday courtesy of Amazon Prime. I'll post my thoughts after I have a chance to put it through its paces. My focus will be on how it compares to coated Ambassadors under brushes. The description did mention that it is coated.

It is ironic that I would consider an Evans head :)

remoevans.jpg

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
I am normally a Remo guy, but the head sounds intriguing enough to inspire me to order one. Mine will be here Friday courtesy of Amazon Prime. I'll post my thoughts after I have a chance to put it through its paces. My focus will be on how it compares to coated Ambassadors under brushes. The description did mention that it is coated.

I find I am an Evans guy on snares and Remo everywhere else; admittedly, I have gotten to really like Aquarian on snares, as well.

Griener

Reaction score

Which one did you order? The thin one (700) or the medium (1000)?
Let us know how you like them.

Tilter

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Discussion about these heads doesn't come up often, so if the good doctor doesn't mind me tossing in a question...

I don't see a Strata snare side head on D'Addario's site, but Remo offers them within the Renaissance line. If anyone has tried them, I'm curious about their sound and response compared to that of a traditional clear Ambassador snare side.

Commodore

Reaction score
Discussion about these heads doesn't come up often, so if the good doctor doesn't mind me tossing in a question...

I don't see a Strata snare side head on D'Addario's site, but Remo offers them within the Renaissance line. If anyone has tried them, I'm curious about their sound and response compared to that of a traditional clear Ambassador snare side.
I've had good results useing a 2mm thin, a Strata 300 or Strata 700 on the snare side

Last edited:

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score

I tried the Renaissance snare side many years ago so the details are fuzzy. But I do remember that is was DRY. I mean, really dry. If you are playing super articulate ghost notes, or want more clarity from a 1930s field drum it is really nice. But for back beats, it just didn’t work for me. That experiment only lasted for a couple of months before I switched back to a clear snare side.

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
I slapped this bad boy on my hard to tame single ply shell. This head sounds good on that drum. I may try a teeny bit of muffling.