header.nohb.html

Evans Strata Snare drum head: what to expect?

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I may. That is tempting.
I am thinking about putting a 700 on my snare side if I like the 1000 that I ordered. On my calf kit I have a snare side calf head and it is interesting and nothing like mylar. That kit has calf on the batter and reso sides of each drum. Very old school, especially for low volume blues, classic (50s/early 60s) rock, etc.

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They are good sounding heads,but the coating sticks to everything and if you are using soft bags ,will indent the coating with "waffle" patterns.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Review of the Strata 700 Staccato head (narrow muffling ring) :)
The 700 Staccato is a little TOO articulate for what I do. The black head that was on the snare drum before the 700 was swapped in piqued my interest. It made that snare drum sound like a 30s Radio King from the swing era (to my ears.)

If you are the drummer in the video, I'll offer a little constructive criticism: stop the camera when you are swapping heads. It caused my interest to drop and impatience to creep in. Remember, I intend this criticism to be constructive, not scathing. Otherwise it is a very informative video and told me more about the 700 that a million words could have.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Here is what the Strata 1000 can sound like :)
I would have loved to have heard them under brushes, but since mine is due to arrive tomorrow I will know pretty quickly. Sadly, my rehearsal tomorrow is early afternoon and I doubt the head will be here in time. If I had to base my purchase decision solely on the video I would have not been as intrigued because brushes were not examined, but, hey, I am probably in the minority.

Commodore

Reaction score
I would have loved to have heard them under brushes, but since mine is due to arrive tomorrow I will know pretty quickly. Sadly, my rehearsal tomorrow is early afternoon and I doubt the head will be here in time. If I had to base my purchase decision solely on the video I would have not been as intrigued because brushes were not examined, but, hey, I am probably in the minority.
Thanks @mtarrani
I just tried brushes ....not enough tooth IMHO ;)

Last edited:

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The coating is abysmal
Sticks to everything
1656650074779.jpeg

1656650115341.jpeg

1656650226075.jpeg

Commodore

Reaction score
Last edited:

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I noticed your heads have the older logo. Mine are the current logo. I haven’t noticed any problems with tacky surface.

Are you in a hot place?

Could the factory have recently changed the coating formula?

Could the coating deteriorate over time? …Others have noted extreme wear resistance.

…Anyone?
Before I pulled the trigger on mine on Amazon I read some of the reviews. Apparently there were issues of sticking coating and failing coating back in 2014, but none of the more recent reviews mentioned those problems, so I completed my order. I'll know today because it's hot and humid where I am at and I will probably not be home for hours after it has been delivered. I'll certainly share my experience and thoughts here.

RBagg454

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agr
The 700 Staccato is a little TOO articulate for what I do. The black head that was on the snare drum before the 700 was swapped in piqued my interest. It made that snare drum sound like a 30s Radio King from the swing era (to my ears.)

If you are the drummer in the video, I'll offer a little constructive criticism: stop the camera when you are swapping heads. It caused my interest to drop and impatience to creep in. Remember, I intend this criticism to be constructive, not scathing. Otherwise it is a very informative video and told me more about the 700 that a million words could have.
Agree on the we don't need to see the head swap. Hate that in videos. Start the video when you put the head on.

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I noticed your heads have the older logo. Mine are the current logo. I haven’t noticed any problems with tacky surface.

Are they kept in a hot place?

Could the factory have recently changed the coating formula?

Could the coating deteriorate over time? …Others have noted extreme wear resistance.

…Anyone?
While I ;liked the Evans ,the Remo Renascence was just a better overall head.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
First thoughts from unboxing the head that arrived about four hours ago: the issues with the head surface sticking or tacky apparently has since been resolved by Evans. My head was sitting at my front door (east facing in the Central FL sun), and the surface was both unblemished and not-tacky at all. I was a little surprised by how transparent it is. Sort of like a light frost effect.

After I get it mounted and spend some quality time with it I'll update my experience and thoughts.

esooy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not sure if they fixed the sticky problem or not. We used to use the Strata for concert drums. They would get tacky in humid and/or warm climates especially, but also when it wasn't. When you'd put it in a case and it had a fabric lining, the lining would stick to the head and leave fuzzies. A lot of timpanists use head covers with felt or some other soft material on the head side of the cover. A lot of covers you see have a red felt. Well, even in a climate controlled environment you'd pull off the cover and wham bam thank you Evans, there's red fuzzies infused into the head coating.

We stopped using them for that reason and also because Remo Renaissance sound better and don't have that problem.