Evans UV1 Heads: Opinions? And What Resonant Heads?

feelyat

Reaction score
I use them on my 6-ply Ludwigs, trad depths, medium tuning, over Genera resos, and I really like them. I’ve always hated Evans batters (g1, g2) on my toms, but these feel way different—less squishy, and way less prone to dents.

I also like the way they seat better than Remos, due to the steeper collar.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve been using them on the toms on my slingerland 5 ply and sonor champion. they are durable and a bit bright, resonant.

Last edited:

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Love them. I use them as my go to now. Most recently put on my Rogers Holiday kits, my RC’s and Club Customs and my Broadkasters. It’s either them or Remo White Suede Emperors. Honestly I just use whatever resonant head was on the drum to begin with.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm with DanRH. I used them last month on a vintage Slingerland kit and they sounded great. I used them on a Gretsch SS badge kit because they fit and sounded great.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I played a friends Tama Star Walnut kit (same as mine) with UV1 and absolutely hated them. Muted, feel strange and sound bad. For the record; I don’t like any Evans head after they went 360. Make great drums sound like crap.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I played a friends Tama Star Walnut kit (same as mine) with UV1 and absolutely hated them. Muted, feel strange and sound bad. For the record; I don’t like any Evans head after they went 360. Make great drums sound like crap.
I wonder-- were the UV1s new on the drums? I am finding that I kinda hated the UV1s right out of the box but I tuned them higher, let them settle, and retuned them and now they sound fantastic. And I would've described it the way you just did-- muted, feel strange, sound bad. Now I'm a big fan.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I wonder-- were the UV1s new on the drums? I am finding that I kinda hated the UV1s right out of the box but I tuned them higher, let them settle, and retuned them and now they sound fantastic. And I would've described it the way you just did-- muted, feel strange, sound bad. Now I'm a big fan.
They had been on that kit for a while so I believe they were seated and played in. Just not my cup of tea.

bconrad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ran UV1s on my toms and snare last night for the first time, and... I love them. People out front commented on how good they sounded. I have Evans resos. I’ve mostly been using Emperors on my toms my whole life. The UV1s have a nice brightness to them, as in the video above.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I bought a nob snare with a new UV1 on it. It feels different than a coated ambassador, but I like it. Sounds good too.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've gone all UV1s on toms and now the UV EQ4 bass drum batter. They're now my favorite heads and I will use them on all future drums. They sound richer than comparable single ply heads, they are a little easier to tune, the coating doesn't degrade, and they don't dent or get old-looking-- at least not yet.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Pretty much the same for me. They kind of take time to warm up. What's crazy is that they seem to last forever without become concave, denting or losing coating. I took one off a snare that was tuned at least medium high & used regularly for almost a year & it seemed new.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I tried a UV1 on a few different snares, and each time came away with the same reaction: it sounded great for strong dead-center hits, but when I played with light touch, or around the edge, it sounded thin and less responsive, compared to other batter heads I like (Ludwig WM, Remo Amb, Aquarian TC). I haven't tried em on toms yet.

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Pretty much the same for me. They kind of take time to warm up. What's crazy is that they seem to last forever without become concave, denting or losing coating. I took one off a snare that was tuned at least medium high & used regularly for almost a year & it seemed new.
Might be so. I just thought that Evans heads don't require any kind of seating etc. and they are ready to go right away.
Some Evans users claim they can't stand Remos taking bit more time when seating and tuning to crack the glue etc. But Evans UV heads need to be played in? Is it the same with their other heads? Haven't tried that many.

Now that I think of it, I have actually heard this about Aquarian heads too. Maybe cracking glue isn't so bad after all. B)

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I still have them on my toms on my main gigging kit and all around on a secondary kit. I still think they sound great. They dont pick up as much dirt as ambassadors and the coating stays intact. Very durable and consistent.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Might be so. I just thought that Evans heads don't require any kind of seating etc. and they are ready to go right away.
Some Evans users claim they can't stand Remos taking bit more time when seating and tuning to crack the glue etc. But Evans UV heads need to be played in? Is it the same with their other heads? Haven't tried that many.

Now that I think of it, I have actually heard this about Aquarian heads too. Maybe cracking glue isn't so bad after all. B)
The UV's are kind of another technology & no I don't find Evans heads in general need much time to seat, they don't crack like Remo heads, but the UVs do need some time to warm up, unlike a G1/G2. Could be the Mylar itself. I really don't know. I play both Remo & Evans models for different reasons (along with Aquarian if I can get them) & the difference when swapping heads has never really been an issue for me, just a difference. But The UVs kinda caught me off guard.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Remo wins. More tone. More color.

Playing with Evans is like talking with a stuffed nosed.
. . . on those drums, at that tuning, played by that drummer, recorded that way, using Remo Ambassadors that have been played in vs. UV1's that could have been fresh out of the box. Oh yeah, totally 100% conclusive.

Latest posts