Ever Buy a Kit And Was Just "Not Yours"?

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well, this is "THAT" set for me! I was looking for a new, light weight kit to replace my little Gretsch Catalina's (which had an 18" kick) as I wanted to step back up to my preferred 20" drum. I looked at literally dozens of kits from many brands for several months and made offers on a LOT of them before I worked out a deal with Steve Maxwell for this Japanese made TAMA birch kit. It's a cira 2006 model Starclassic Performer EFX set in a great looking Black Gold Glitter wrap. The kit was originally catalog model SRG40S and came with a 10", 12" 14X14" and 18"X20" but I cut the kick down to my preferred 14"X20" size and I was very pleased with how that turned out (their is a thread on the custom boards outlining that process) so you would think I would be thrilled right... nope, this is just not "my" kit!

The build quality is outstanding and the chrome hardware is impressive but overall the kit is just heavy and not at all what I was looking for as far as a small kit to play local casuals around town with. This was just my lack of experience with TAMA in general. It's a great set, but it just did not connect to me on an emotional level. Goofy right? But I have no regrets as the set needed to be loved back into shape and I was pleased to do that for the next owner!

I am putting this up on the "for sale" thread (with lots of details pics) but I wanted to share how everything turned out with the restoration here as well for fun. Sorry for the all brown practice room photos, I could not get the weather to cooperate with a nice outdoor photo opportunity! But I suppose this is a good example of knowing more about the kit your buying sight unseen, BEFORE you buy it sight unseen!!!!

Has anyone else done this as well, or am I all alone in this experience?

20200112_180101 copy.jpg

20200112_183143 copy.jpg

20200112_181002 copy.jpg

20200112_180514 copy.jpg

20200112_182126 copy.jpg

Tommy D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I thought a 13/16/24 Pearl Wood fiberglass kit would be something cool. Sure it was cool, but having a 13" as my smallest drum just wasn't for me. I ended up trading them for some Recording Customs. Nice kit as well, but 12/13 rack toms werent for me. I think I just really like 10" toms. I would find a 10/16/22 kit to be more to my tastes.

Now that I think about it, I'm likely going to finish building my beech kit and that one is 12/13/14/16 toms. I may need to find a 10" shell to get higher range covered on that kit.

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
My DW set. Sounded fine. Easy tuning, great dynamic range.Just wasn’t me. It was replaced by a set of pre-serial Ludwig’s. Only surviving pic!
7DD17211-A4A1-4A63-8418-362F3101CEF3.jpeg

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well it's obvious a 14 x 20 Catalina Gretsch in your color would be the obvious ...right? right? Right!!? :D Or we going down another trail..

Pretty sure I see 14 x 20 (single, new drum, add-on) Catalina in every finish all day long on Ebay no yes? One call away...
Nice..light..Match..

Last edited:

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My DW set. Sounded fine. Easy tuning, great dynamic range.Just wasn’t me. It was replaced by a set of pre-serial Ludwig’s. Only surviving pic!
I had the exact same experience with a DW kit that I owned for about a year. The drums were perfect in every way, but I just was not a fan of their sound. They just left me feeling cold.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well it's obvious a 14 x 20 Catalina Gretsch in your color would be the obvious ...right? right? Right!!? :D Or we going down another trail..

Pretty sure I see 14 x 20 (single, new drum, add-on) Catalina in every finish all day long on Ebay no yes? One call away...
Nice..light..Match..

Well, you know I DO have a thing for copper champagne type finishes, so I did pick something up to hold me over... I bought Almamadre's Montineri mahogany kit for a quick fix! It's the same exact size and color as the Catalina's for goodness sake! I basically bought the same kit all over... sigh...I have problems!

But I sold the Gretsch to a local church so I get to play them from time to time... and last Sunday I was playing thinking, "now why did I sell these?"

IMG_20180408_180525.jpg

Reactions: JDA

JimUK

Reaction score
I had a questlove breakbeats kit for one show.

I was playing in a party/function band at the time and the idea was to save my back with loading in etc. It seemed a perfect solution.

I just couldn't get on with the smaller drums. Playing with a loud band, it just got lost and I really didn't enjoy the experience.

I sold it the week after. Just not for me!

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I found a used white sparkle Sonor Designer, Maple Heavy shells. 10x10, 12x12, 14x14, 16x16, and I think 16x22. All Signature-era stands and the rocket launcher tom mount. I took just the 10/14/22 out for one gig and put it up for sale immediately-- there was no way I was gonna keep carrying this kit around.

Groov-E

Reaction score
Every kit with a vintage vibe, as I had no use for such a sound.

It’s all modern Yamaha for me nowadays, no more GAS for the foreseeable future.

Brass and Titanium Dunnett snares for rock and recording, yamaha ahm for the rest.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had the exact same experience with a DW kit that I owned for about a year. The drums were perfect in every way, but I just was not a fan of their sound. They just left me feeling cold.
Wow! Count me in as well. DW Collectors (13/16/24) just didn't get me off at all. Sold them after about a year.

CameraZOOM-20130912175455060.jpg

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well, you know I DO have a thing for copper champagne type finishes, so I did pick something up to hold me over... I bought Almamadre's Montineri mahogany kit for a quick fix! It's the same exact size and color as the Catalina's for goodness sake! I basically bought the same kit all over... sigh...I have problems!

But I sold the Gretsch to a local church so I get to play them from time to time... and last Sunday I was playing thinking, "now why did I sell these?"

View attachment 423312

Ooooh. Are those the ones that were for sale here?

Edit. I see you already made mention of that.
How do you like em? I was very curious about those.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Funny you should ask.....lol.

Slowwwwly coming to realize this about one of my kits. I say “slowly” because I have had them for 20 years lol.

I *should* love them. Everything about them is very well done. Heck they even sound good....

But I would not grab them in the event of a house fire.

jmato

Reaction score
I had a Pearl Session Studio kit that left me feeling meh. It was very well built, tuned very easily, stayed in tune, looked great, and sounded good, but I was never excited to play it for some reason. After getting my Yamaha LC's, and feeling their love, I sold it and never looked back.

Latest posts