Ever Buy a Kit And Was Just "Not Yours"?

Pounder

DFO Master
Reaction score
After ditching my then-"go-to" set, I don't foresee having any issues with getting a set then wondering why. It isn't the set you play, it's what you're playing on them. (music-wise)

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had the same thing with DWs , I tried all kinds of heads too .
They just didn't sound like they belonged together .

the_dude

Possibly DFO's Worst Drummer
Reaction score
I once traded in two kits (not gonna say what they were but I'll just say i was a clueless moron) for an all birch Tama Starclassic Performer.
24/10/12/16 5/12 x 14. I was hoping to recapture the sound of my 1979 Superstar drums. Not even close.
Dumped it quickly.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Funny you should ask.....lol.

Slowwwwly coming to realize this about one of my kits. I say “slowly” because I have had them for 20 years lol.

I *should* love them. Everything about them is very well done. Heck they even sound good....

But I would not grab them in the event of a house fire.
Which drums?

Bullseye_Doc_Holiday

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was absolutely in love with the idea of this kit. Everything from the color to the sizes. I even bought a 22" MMX bass drum to go with it and have a shell bank that was going to serve me for the rest of my life. I put a ton of work into it to including upgrading the Optimounts to the Chrome versions and even finding chrome screws to match instead of the black ones included.

Problem was one outdoor gig. I don't know if it was the sound guy, his mic, or the drum, but I've never had such trouble with a bass drum. It just kind of soured me on the whole kit and I sold it shortly afterward.

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I bought a large gloss black lacquer GMS tube lug kit from a Music Go Round around 99/00. 10/12/13/14 hanging toms, 16x16 floor tom, 16x20 and 18x22 kicks and I thought it was going to be my forever kit. Put a bunch of money into it to fit it with RIMS mounts (it came bare shells, virgin kicks, etc). I even thought it’d replace my Signia kit that I bought couple years earlier. Nope, never connected with it and the Signia sounded & felt better to me. Ended up breaking it up into two kits and got rid of it.

Targalx

Reaction score
The first version of Stage Custom (20/10/12/14) in Marina Green. I bought it brand new in 1998-ish, just a couple weeks after they hit the stores. I couldn't believe a kit that looked that great could be so affordable. Did a full head change and played it at a few gigs and... it just didn't grab me like I thought it would.

But Yamaha did not lose me as a customer. Sold it in 2000 to help pay for a brand new Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute. Still have the MCA 20 years later.

I did eventually buy another SC — in 2010, I bought the first version of the Stage Custom Birch bop kit brand new. Still have that one, too.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
since 8-28- 2010 my gunmetal square usa badge 6ply satin Gretsch broadkasters. All the sizes I need 18/10/12/14 plus an old RB 8L wmp wood snare.
hardwood (hard metal) quality wood quality metal drums on a symphonic violin level. everything I want and need.
Or worth leaving the house for. big bass drum days well over. bosphorus and or zildjian cymbals and that's it fort pitt.
1.5 back up sets 1966 rb 20/12/14 and 16/12. makes 3. Only thing I'd ever consider is adjusting is, my back up sets. High end is taken care of. the Low end could use some sprucing (used to use them a lot, now kind of ignore them and don't have room to set them up..)

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
since 8-28- 2010 my gunmetal square usa badge 6ply satin Gretsch broadkasters. All the sizes I need 18/10/12/14 plus an old RB 8L wmp wood snare.
hardwood (hard metal) quality wood quality metal drums on a symphonic violin level. everything I want and need.
Or worth leaving the house for. big bass drum days well over. bosphorus and or zildjian cymbals and that's it fort pitt.
1.5 back up sets 1966 rb 20/12/14 and 16/12. makes 3. Only thing I'd ever consider is adjusting is, my back up sets. High end is taken care of. the Low end could use some sprucing (used to use them a lot, now kind of ignore them and don't have room to set them up..)
You have low end drums? All I see are broadcasters and Round badges....

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
You have low end drums? All I see are broadcasters and Round badges....
It's 2020. Sometimes new drums perform better. When it's gretsch and there's next to no difference in anything, pertaining to sound-feel- looks and response- build quality-performance in general-------- the old one's collect dust. dust collectors. Bag Queens. Shelf sitters. Day Gone Bye-bye's. shh don't tell the (dust) collectors.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's 2020. Sometimes new drums perform better. When it's gretsch and there next to no difference in anything pertaining to sound-feel- and response------ the old one's collect dust dust collectors. Bag Queens. Shelf sitters. Day Gone Bye-bye's.
Does this mean you're going to get another set, soon?
Something to slum it with?

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Something to slum it with?
that would be along the lines of the Torodor set I found for 50$ dressed up and..sold Or a yamaha Birch 18/12/14 for 499$ Or...I'll just sit the low end out. I would like something on the slum end that matched

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
You see. :
when I get into a 16" ultra-casual gig set
. I don't match.
Not that I do many ultra-casual gigs. But St. Pat's day gig is coming up.
Doesn't have to be an all-green set tho.
Just like a little Junker that matched.
then again I don't want to spend another dime.
nor do I have the room.

Last edited:

Latest posts