Ever Buy a Kit And Was Just "Not Yours"?

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yamaha Maple Custom ... I enjoyed the sound of those drums ... but I just couldn't sit behind them. Had the deeper toms and the floors were hanging. Really did not like playing them. Gone.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
have only one drum that's not me.
always gotta have one
for the past year apparently it's no one else's either
maybe I could do a raffle

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
I possibly have 1 cymbal that's not me also.
Like I say gotta have one . Or else you'll just replace it with another one.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Which drums?
I was hoping I didn't have to answer that...lol....

1999 Tama Starclassic Performers (first year 100% birch) in Transparent Black. 10/12/14/22 originally, then picked up the 8" and 16" toms to add to them.

Don't get me wrong-they are GREAT drums, sound, hardware, etc. I can't really put my finger on it, but I feel like I have never really bonded with them if that makes any sense...

Now, I have my first kit-Rogers Holiday 12/13/16/24, and a second Rogers Holiday 12/16/20 I picked up before the Tamas, and those are the kits I would grab if I had to make a split-second decision. And it has nothing to do with the sound or the value or "whatever". It's just a relationship I have with those Rogers that I've never had with the Tamas.

So the question-"why do you still have them?" naturally gets asked. And all I can say is that nothing else has really struck my fancy, and I'm just not ready to let them go for like $500 (if current sales are any indication). So here they sit lol.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Benny K reminded me of another (recent) set that I let go because of the anemic bass drum performance. Hendrix Perfect Ply (13/16/22). Toms were great, fit and finish perfect, but meh on the BD. Out she went!

20181124_201238.jpg

Tomb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
my DW's, I thought they sounded great, just I never got used to hanging toms or the 18" deep bass drum so I sold them

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So where’s the for sale link on the Tamas ? I’d take a Starclassic over Catalina any day

I have a rehearsal tonight but am going to post it when I get home. The little Gretsch was sold already... and now replaced with almost the same kit (same sizes and color) so not quite sure what I accomplished there! LOL!

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
have only one drum that's not me.
always gotta have one
for the past year apparently it's no one else's either
maybe I could do a raffle
But man o' man she sure is pretty! It's priced right and would look great with about any kit, I wonder why no one has grabbed it up yet?

Reactions: JDA

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve had a few:

A set of ‘90s DW Collectors (that *allegedly* belonged to the drummer for Collective Soul before me, though I never bothered to try and verify that).

A Pearl Reference kit.

Annnnnnnd... some Oriollo Phantoms.

The only one of those I actually had real issues with was the Reference kit. Toms sounded fantastic, but the bass drum remains to this day the weakest bass drum I’ve ever played. In retrospect, I think there must have been something genuinely wrong with it — bad bearing edge or out of round maybe — because it wasn’t just underwhelming; it did not project at all. Very little tone or volume. I might as well have attached the beater to a hard case instead.

With both of the other two kits, though, it was just a matter of not connecting with them. Not sure why. It happens.

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was hoping I didn't have to answer that...lol....

1999 Tama Starclassic Performers (first year 100% birch) in Transparent Black. 10/12/14/22 originally, then picked up the 8" and 16" toms to add to them.

Don't get me wrong-they are GREAT drums, sound, hardware, etc. I can't really put my finger on it, but I feel like I have never really bonded with them if that makes any sense...

Now, I have my first kit-Rogers Holiday 12/13/16/24, and a second Rogers Holiday 12/16/20 I picked up before the Tamas, and those are the kits I would grab if I had to make a split-second decision. And it has nothing to do with the sound or the value or "whatever". It's just a relationship I have with those Rogers that I've never had with the Tamas.

So the question-"why do you still have them?" naturally gets asked. And all I can say is that nothing else has really struck my fancy, and I'm just not ready to let them go for like $500 (if current sales are any indication). So here they sit lol.
Yeah, I get that. ROI is important for some of us.

speady1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There have been kits that I bought or played that were just OK to me, not awe-inspiring great tubs. That being said, not every kit can be the "best ever" and at the end of the day, they're tools. They help YOU, the player, accomplish the task of making music. You're going to sound like you on a $500 set or a $5,000 set. Whether or not the set inspires greatness out of you as a player is the difference, in my opinion. I think the key to gear is wanting what you have, not having what you want.

Some of my best recordings have been done on my first kit, a late 1980's Pearl Export set. You know, the ones everybody had because they were cheap. I still use them on recordings every now and then, because they sometimes just fit the need best. Are they "my" kit? Not really, but they do their job as long as I do mine. Tools. Just tools.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve had a few:

A set of ‘90s DW Collectors (that allegedly belonged to the drummer for Collective Soul before me).

A Pearl Reference kit.

Annnnnnnd... some Oriollo Phantoms.

The only one of those I actually had real issues with was the Reference kit. Toms sounded fantastic, but the bass drum remains to this day the weakest bass drum I’ve ever played. In retrospect, I think there must have been something genuinely wrong with it — bad bearing edge or out of round maybe — because it wasn’t just underwhelming; it did not project at all. Very little tone or volume. I might as well have attached the beater to a hard case instead.

With both of the other two kits, though, it was just a matter of not connecting with them. Not sure why. It happens.
Out of curiosity what was it that you didn't like about the Oriollo?

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Out of curiosity what was it that you didn't like about the Oriollo?
Eh, tough to say. A big part of it was that I was A/B-ing the Oriollos against a British Drum Company Lounge Series kit I’d just barely gotten at the same time — same configuration (20/12/14). I knew I was going to sell one of them. If I’d kept the Oriollos, it’s very possible they would have grown on me. That said, the decision was a lot easier than I expected.

The best way I’ve found to describe the Oriollos is like if you had a set entirely made of Acrolites. Very controlled, round tone. I’d read that description before I got mine, and it sounded like perfection. Doing a side-by-side comparison with the BDC kit, though, I realized I was missing some of the liveliness/wilder qualities you get with some wood-shelled kits. Not to say the Oriollos were one-trick ponies by any means, but I felt like I couldn’t pull the same range of sounds from them as the BDCs.

Anyway, it’s all pretty subjective and based on some less-than-scientific snap judgements. Swapping out heads, different tunings... a lot of things could have made me like the Oriollos better. But on the other hand, I didn’t have to *try* to like the BDCs, and since it was one or the other... you know. I would still definitely consider trying some Oriollos again down the road. Just at that time, they didn’t click for me.

Last edited:

scottcyp

Reaction score
I have tried DW Performance, great drums, not for me
I traded them for Gretsch Renowns and Tama Starclassics, again, great drums but not for me. I still have the Renowns and play them though.

Im keeping my eyes peeled for Signias. I have never been able to move past their sound and quality. Those drums are me, just waiting patiently for the right set to come along.

prplx

Reaction score
I had the exact same experience with a DW kit that I owned for about a year. The drums were perfect in every way, but I just was not a fan of their sound. They just left me feeling cold.
I never owned a DW kit, mainly because of the last part of your statement.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
About a year after I sold my DWs , I played a kit at GC that was really nice .
I remember thinking dang why couldn’t mind have sounded like this .

scottcyp

Reaction score
This thread just made me put my Renowns up with my USA Custom snare for sale or trade. Just FB marketplace but maybe someone has some old Signias sitting around they want to part with.

towndog

Reaction score
I have had a few as well.

1. DW collectors that I had custom built with a finish to mimic the Mapex Orion Imperial Burst. Absolutely gorgeous finish. Toms were OK but kick and floor tom were lacking.

2. Tempus Carbon Fiber - toms were good but kick was weak.

3. Vintage Dayton Rogers kit in blue onyx finish. I have heard alot of guys rave about the Dayton Rogers drums but they were just "meh" to my ears.

4. 1962 Set of Slingerlands with a 14X26 kick - kick was the best kick I have ever personally played/heard but I was not happy with the toms.
I still kick myself for selling that kit - should have kept it for just the kick alone.

Latest posts