Ever craft an inexpensive drum riser?

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Due to space this holiday I'm going to have to move my drums down to the unfinished basement. Even w a rug I just can not bring myself to put drums on concrete only. Even pics of nice kits on concrete give me the willies. Any suggestions or pic of your efforts would be appreciated.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Treated 2X4's turned up on their edge to build a frame with a sheet of 3/4" plywood for the deck. Paint it black, add the carpet of your choice and BAM... your done! Now your kit is 4-1/4" off the ground and out of waters harm way without being too tall for the basement.

20191107_185944.jpg

Last edited:

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What Fat Drummer said, but with that said, If you ever play out and need a riser you can get a bunch of 5 gallon buckets from home depot put the riser on those and staple black fabric around it and you have a very stable 8'x 8" riser that tears down in a flash. I've done this on numerous occasions.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That's essentially what I have too. Mine are 2 4x4 sections bolted together, plywood on top and a rug. I also bolted a small 2x2 section for the stool. Perfect.

20191107_202909.jpg
20191107_202957.jpg

Tommy D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My basement can sometimes take on a a little water in heavy rainstorms, so I built a riser out of 3/4" plywood on 2" thick rigid insulation board cut in strips. Keeps the drums off the floor and is waterproof.

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I still have one that my ex bass players Dad built for me in 1994. It's 2 full sheets of plywood over 4 interlocking sides with 3 2 x 8's across the middle for support. It's awesome when set up but is a pretty decent pain to haul/assemble/teardown. I still use it on a rare occasion...it's painted flat black and the rest of the band loves to set drinks on the edge....

On the one

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My friend built a riser with 9 wood pallets (40"x48") nailed together and covered with 3/4 plywood. Painted it and a throw rug.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Bunch of 8" cinder blocks with (3) 36"x72" commercial table tops on top and tied together with flat iron brackets. $20 5x7 Home Depot rug on it. Well off the floor (perhaps too much for some) and has been in place for the last 26 years. No rot, no muss, no fuss. Doesn't move and has survived several close calls where we took on water (several inche when our main sump pump died).

I have enough room to set up my main kit and room left over to park two other kits in cases.

Best part....all the material, except the rug was free.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Go behind any Retail Store and they will have 4x4 or 3x4 pallets. Grab a couple, go to home depot and get 1' 3/4" wood screws and enough 1/4" plywood to cover the pallets. Cut to size and screw it to the top. Put a rug on the top. Tahdah! Might cost $30-$50.

Houndog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Go behind any Retail Store and they will have 4x4 or 3x4 pallets. Grab a couple, go to home depot and get 1' 3/4" wood screws and enough 1/4" plywood to cover the pallets. Cut to size and screw it to the top. Put a rug on the top. Tahdah! Might cost $30-$50.
That’s a very long wood screw !!!!!

I’d forgo the 1/4” and go at least 3/8” on the plywood ....

PaulD

Reaction score
I'm looking at doing this myself. My plan is to use two full sheets of plywood over sleepers made of 4" thick foam. For foam, I thinking of either closed cell polyethylene foam (like the type used for pipe insulation) or maybe the pink hard foam sold at HD. The reason I want to use foam is it'll even out any floor irregularities that might cause rocking (the bad kind). If there's enough surface area, the foam will be plenty strong enough.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hum.... Interesting idea Paul. I see issues with compression over time regardless of the type foam used, based on the amount of raw kinetic energy it will be adsorbing. If you go that direction, please keep us posted on how it works, that would be a project I would follow to be sure.

PaulD

Reaction score
Hum.... Interesting idea Paul. I see issues with compression over time regardless of the type foam used, based on the amount of raw kinetic energy it will be adsorbing. If you go that direction, please keep us posted on how it works, that would be a project I would follow to be sure.
I'd say if that's a concern, use the hard pink foam panels sold at HD and the more area the better. It's pretty standard practice for finished basements to lay those down and then lay tongue and groove subflooring over it. This what gave me the idea.

Also, do a search for "tennis ball drum riser" for a similar idea (though for a different purpose).

If you ran a 4x4 sleeper of hard foam every 16", really doubt there would be any significant compression for a long time.

robthetimekeeper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In Florida, most people have attached garages but nobody parks cars in them. Here is an actual pic I took of one such garage in my town.

My drums live in my office.

GarageFull.jpg

SteveB

DFO Master
Reaction score
My basement doesn't leak ever. I did have a platform but that was many moons ago for live shows. It was basically 8x8 in two pieces and pulled together with session locks, so it could be transported easily. That and a stack of two milk crates with a skirt along the front.

Latest posts