Ever go back to where you started?

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Was in GC about a month ago and there were in the used section my exact set up when I bought my first "good" cymbals....early 90's Zildjian A's 14" new beats, 16" medium thin and a 20" ping ride. I could of been out the door with them all for about $350 which I didn't think was too bad but I didn't need them. I banged on them a little....of course the new beats sounded fine, I still have a set that is similar but not my originals. The 16" MT crash was a good crash not too bright not too dark and cut through fine. Then I hit the ping....good grief what a man hole cover :) I remember not liking mine because I didn't think it had enough definition....maybe my ears were just still working too good 25 years ago lol. It is funny though to think that I've gone through a bunch of cymbals (or just a few compared to some on here) and in a way close to where I started playing just hats, one crash and a ride...though one difference is a 18" crash instead of a 16" and K's instead of A's

drummerfriend

Reaction score
I can sort of relate... I began on absolute junk so I would never go back.

However, I've gone through sooo many cymbals (not too many different drums) and in a way, not too far off where I ended up around 1985. At this point of my life, I've determined with the gear I have (more than some - less than others), nothing else is going to satisfy me any differently than what I have.

Ickybaby

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I started on late 60's-late 70's Zildjians and I've gone back to them.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
I started out in the 1960s as a brass player. No going back. I'm in the bronze age now.

I started out in kit drumming in 2002 and bought myself a set of Bosphorus Antique cymbals. 13" Regular hats, 16" Thin crash, 21" Original ride. My teacher had 70s 14" New Beats so when I played on his kit at lessons I realized that I preferred 14". Still do. So I sold the hats a few years later. No regrets. I eventually sold the 21" ride as well having replaced it with a 22" Craig Lauritsen made in early 2009. Part of that was down to a high pitched whistle when riding the 21" Bos that I found displeasing even though one can't hear it in the musical context. Yet somehow I still feel the pull of that 21" Original ride. So much so that when I discovered mycymbal has a similar sounding old stock one I was really tempted. I've picked up a few 21" rides in the meantime in some sort of attempt to recapture whatever it is about the 21" diameter that feels right to me.

Today I tend to use my 22" Lauritsen ride, a 20" Lauritsen small bell crash ride, and a pair of 14" Lauritsen hats. I still love the 16" thin crash. So I'm still playing dark complex hand made jazz cymbals and have barely moved an inch. :happy11:

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Started on a late 50's and early 60's set of Zildjian cymbals. Loved those. Played them everywhere for quite a few years.
Then ... I "grew" as a drummer.
Got rid of ALL of my Zildjian's.
Went through about every freekin cymbal made by most all brands.
Fast forward over 55 years ...
There's a lot of Zildjians in my setups right now ...
I've got some Sabian's, Meinl's, Bosphorus', Paiste, and a few others ... but Zildjians BY FAR outnumber the others.
So odd.

felis

Reaction score
I never had to go back to New Beats because I never left them.

All my other cymbals changed many times over the years though.

bolweevil

DFO Master
Reaction score
Started with late 80s/early 90s A zildjian, now my hats are 60s over 70s As. Now my rides and crashes are always Sabian HH (because I love them, that's why). Something about those hats, though.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
Started out with a POS Camber crash and ride. Actually lucked into a pair of 2002 HiHats.

Trashed the Cambers and upgraded to a "new" cymbal company that was making a big mark in the drumming community.
16" Med Thin Sabian AA crash added.
20" Sabian AA Med Flange Ride.
Later I added an 18" Med Thin AA.
Still have all of them.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I started out with a set of used 14" New Beats and added a 22" Ping Ride, 16" & 18" Med Thin Crashes in '80-'81. Whatever it was about those crashes, they probably sound a bit closer to current K crashes. Back in the late 90s, I picked up a similar set, but with a 20" Rock Ride and 13" K/Z hats. That was a nice set of cymbals. I've been playing Paiste for years, but I'll always have a soft spot for A. Zildjian cymbals.

Old Drummer

Reaction score
I'm back where I started, more or less, and keenly aware of the compromises that entails.

I started in the mid-late-60's with a 20" A ride, 15" pre-New Beat A hats, and an 18" Paiste 602 left side cymbal.

Today I have a 20 Agop Traditional ride, which is about like my A ride but a little better, early 70's 14" New Beats, and an early 70's 18" A left side cymbal. The configuration isn't identical, but it's in the same family.

I have added a 15" K crash these days, a concession to the emphasis on crashes these days, though I actually like it.

I'm also aware of how uncreative my current setup is. There are lots of other cymbals I like--even like better in some ways--but it's easiest to stick with what I'm familiar with.

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I can totally relate. I started on brass garbage and eventually ended up with a pack of ZXT's. Always hated them.
My first professional level ride was a 21" Sweet Ride, around 2004 or so. I played that thing exclusively for years on all gigs and practices. I loved it.
Since I stopped using it in 2012 or so I've owned many different types of rides in many sizes. I just can't get away from 21". It it just was feels and sounds best to me.
Currently have an absolutely beautiful medium-thin trans stamp A and while I love it, it's just too darn big. 22"s always just feel like too much metal to me regardless of how thin they are. Too sluggish and slow to speak.

Rik_Everglade

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Started out with a POS Camber crash and ride. Actually lucked into a pair of 2002 HiHats.

Trashed the Cambers and upgraded to a "new" cymbal company that was making a big mark in the drumming community.
16" Med Thin Sabian AA crash added.
20" Sabian AA Med Flange Ride.
Later I added an 18" Med Thin AA.
Still have all of them.

LOL. I started with some bronze crap that came with my Royce drums. I then upgraded to Cambers, 14 hihats, 16 crash, 18 crash ride. I always look for my originals...I'll buy them back. I thought that they were really cool, at the time.

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For drums, yes, I have kinda come back to the beginning. My first kit was a "Zimgar" (in Gold Ingot) a Pearl stencil kit. I've been playing Pearl's for the past 10 years +. For cymbals there was the crap-o brass stuff that came with the drums for about a year, then I started gigging and borrowing A's from friends and the Band room at school. So... , for cymbals, I still play Zildjian's, mostly K's now, but I have a full array A's to choose from.
There were some 602's along the way near the beginning, but I've never warmed up to them again. There were some Ludwig and Rogers kits along the way also, especially a COB DynaSonic snare, but they just don't do it for me anymore,
So yeah, I've come full circle, same stuff, just higher end gear. I'd like to think I've made good choices from experience, and my ear has become more refined. But I'm still a hack. I've just got better gear ;)

Mn02

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I played Zildjians for the first 15 years or so, then I sold them all and went through Paistes, sabians, meinl, etc. - all great. About 4 years ago I took a tour of the Zildjian factory, I sold all the other brands and now I am back to Zildjian. For whatever reason, they feel right to me. Funny how you come back around sometimes.