Ever Have One of these moments? Herman's Hermits: "watching The Beatles in 1963..."

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's really an underrated (maybe "underdiscussed" is a better word) aspect of the Beatles that they were a just plain old, in the room, all together in one place, absolutely drop dead great live rock n' roll, pop, and rhythm-and-blues band. Stone Cold Killers. That live at the BBC album is great, and then after years of not doing it, they went up on that rooftop and absolutely crushed. The Beatles that you hear on BBC stuff from say '63 are just orders of magnitude better than say the Stones at the same point (even when you compare apples to apples like dueling Chuck Berry covers).

Last edited:

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
Grew up in NY.. now, Georgia -NW of Atlanta
It's really an underrated (maybe "underdiscussed" is a better word) aspect of the Beatles that they were a just plain old, in the room, all together in one place, absolutely drop dead great live rock n' roll, pop, and rhythm-and-blues band. Stone Cold Killers. That live at the BBC album is great, and then after years of not doing it, they went up on that rooftop and absolutely crushed. The Beatles that you hear on BBC stuff from say '63 are just orders of magnitude better than say the Stones at the same point (even when you compare apples to apples like dueling Chuck Berry covers).
I was there when the Beatles came out. Nothing like it. It was like finding a well on an oasis...

In the mean time: That gave me an idea....

Someone should create a berry flavored beer..

Call it? ... "Chug Berry."

:joker:

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If this is a question ...

I was watching Tom Snyder one night and a young group called U2 came on to support their first album.
That moment stopped me in my tracks. I woke my wife up and had her watch it with me. They were phenomenal. So different. It connected with me.
I'm not keen on them these days as they've lost their way a bit, but I knew in that moment ... they were very very special.

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
The Beatles were kind of like The Lettermen meets The Ventures. Not really, but it just came to me. Actually that could apply to The Beach Boys. It's really interesting to hear another famous band person talk about seeing The Beatles for the first time. A friend of mine saw The Beatles in Toronto. He said all you could hear was screaming. He grew his hair and was never the same again."Meet The Beatles" made me a huge fan. "Slow Down" was one of the few songs that a band could play. Well, also "Day Tripper" with weak singing. I was in a good band in Lubbock that did a great job on "Tell Me Why." That song really rocks if you do it justice. Ace

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
I was in a good band in Lubbock that did a great job on "Tell Me Why." That song really rocks if you do it justice. Ace
I love Ringo's fill coming out of the bridge. It sounds real straight-forward, but try playing it cleanly at tempo!