Ever sand your sticks?

NYFrank

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ever sand your sticks? I like to use sticks until they break - which for me, is close to never - and when I chop them up a bit, I sand very lightly to smooth them.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't. I never even thought of that actually.

I think some guys here would freak at the thought of doing that, as they're really concerned with exact balances, weights and pairing of their sticks. :icon_e_surprised:

langmick

Reaction score
I sand every pair at the butt end about a third up, gives me better grip and feel. I use Vater 5As. They're just a touch too slick for me.

Stickclick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I take a rock and rub it against the stick to get the roughest stuff off. I've gotten splinters from sticks before.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Have sanded a few for the same reasons mentioned above. Just hate to trash something that still has plenty of life. Sticks last me awhile!

piccupstix

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Years ago I sanded my sticks regularly. I can't hang on to slick sticks. I use Vic Firth now and have no problem.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last year sanded a pair of my favorite sticks right where the rim shots were taking a toll - splinters and everything. So I sanded them down so I wouldn't feel that occasional stab feeling when the stick moved in my hand. It was either that or toss them. Still using them too.

Last edited:

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mama....we're all crazy now. To quote Noddy!!!!

Years ago I would have to very lightly sand the lower third of my sticks as the finish was way too slick, especially once the sweat started.
Not that it matters but iirc they were Pro Marks....Billy Cobham model...both kinds...white and red oak...
I recall not liking Regal Tip because of the same thing, but I did use some of the Quantum sticks for a bit....those ones with the huge round tips.....sanded them as well.....
Things seem to be better now in regard to finishes on sticks, and I think it was Pro Mark that made "unfinished" sticks...???
I would never sand any of the worn parts as alluded to in the thread, if I'm reading that right.
I have also seen a couple of fellows literally cut gouges into their sticks for better grip. Of course they aren't light fluffy tappers but full on punk rock bashers. Which is cool because it's punk!!!
bt

unregisteredalien

Reaction score
Things seem to be better now in regard to finishes on sticks, and I think it was Pro Mark that made "unfinished" sticks...???
Yes - Pro Mark "Naturals" with the green print - I used those for many years as I felt they gave me a better grip. Of course sweat and oil from my hands would eventually get into the wood and "finish" it but I liked the build and balance of those sticks too.

I remember disliking Vic Firths at the time as they were so shiny (I also wasn't a fan of their tips). Makes still vary - eg I sometimes use Vaters which I find to be more on the "raw" side - but on the whole it seems like there's less heavy varnishing going on now.

Pibroch

Reaction score
Once they get rough from rim hits and such they make a good sound effect when you rub one across the other (so don't sand them). A great drummer, Miles Henry, put me on to this.