Ever see a professional band get booed off stage?

Vicey

Reaction score
i really can't remember why ... sorry
Ahh, I found it: according to Wikipedia, the "Fleetwood Mac" that had bottles thrown at them in Edmonton in 1974 was a version of the band put together by its manager after the Bob Welch-era lineup collapsed in a pile of resentment, sexual infidelity, and substance abuse. Apparently, word got out that this wasn't the real Fleetwood Mac after the first few dates of the tour, and people felt they were being ripped off--even though some thought the fake band was pretty good. But it also demonstrates that Fleetwood Mac was a soap opera even before Lindsey and Stevie joined.

I say this as a fan of the band.

Reactions: bob

Ickybaby

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw After The Fire (Der Kommissar) get booed off the stage mercilessly in 1982 when they were opening for Van Halen in Chicago.

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
Saw Loverboy open for ZZ Top on the Eliminator tour in a 6000 seat college arena. The crowd was in no mood for Loverboy and they got booed continuously from the intro. About 3 songs in, the front corner of the drum riser collapsed, spilling half the kit off onto the stage. They stopped playing and stormed off to a standing ovation.
I saw the same tour in Ft. Wayne. Loverboy made it through the set, but it was brutal, I actually felt sorry for them.
Even worse was David Johansson Band opening for The Who in Indy on the Who’s “It’s Hard” tour. The crowd was booing and catcalling as soon as they hit the stage and didn’t stop until they left the stage. It was a shame because the band was tight and Johansson was a good frontman. He had a medley of Animals songs that was getting quite a bit of airplay at the time and they booed through that, too. Buncha miserable pricks!

bob

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ahh, I found it: according to Wikipedia, the "Fleetwood Mac" that had bottles thrown at them in Edmonton in 1974 was a version of the band put together by its manager after the Bob Welch-era lineup collapsed in a pile of resentment, sexual infidelity, and substance abuse. Apparently, word got out that this wasn't the real Fleetwood Mac after the first few dates of the tour, and people felt they were being ripped off--even though some thought the fake band was pretty good. But it also demonstrates that Fleetwood Mac was a soap opera even before Lindsey and Stevie joined.

no wonder i couldn't remember ... that was 47 yrs. ago

old_K_ride

DFO Master
Reaction score
Slade opening for Johnny Winter...the crowd was brutal.
Stevie Ray Vaughan opening for Gary Myrick...someone thru an ice packed cup at him...hit him right in the mouth.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sly and the Family Stone ... snafu .

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Years ago (70s) I saw Joe Cocker vomit all over the stage TWICE at SF Winterland auditorium during his set. The crowd and myself were in shock at the sight of that.... a few booed but most were laughing. He finally got it together and finished the show - now it's infamous.

Golden Earring opened and blew the room away!

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This foggy memory just came back....the band in my earlier post was on tour and on an off day....
I remember seeing PIL and Flipper (1980 or so) at some big warehouse in SF and the boos were flying both from the audience and the bands....
The Flipper fellows delighted in hurling abuse at their audiences and getting it in return....ya had to be there.
bt

Slingwig26

Reaction score
I went to see rush at the Boston Garden early to mid 80s I would say. The opening act was a blues band. They were playing fine but people started booing so much that the singer actually apologized and said they would only do one more song. I think they only got through three songs.
I felt really bad for them- never seen that before or since in any setting.
Booed yes, off stage? No. Worcester Centrum, 1985 Twisted Sister opening for Iron Maiden. Dee Snider was kind of inspirational in his willingness to acknowledge the boos but not antagonize the situation and persevere through his performance. They were pretty good but clearly NOT the metal equivalent of the headliners! On the flip side, Worcester Centrum, spring 1987 the Cult opened for Billy Idol (we went to see the Cult, Electric had just been released and I already had the LP memorized, loved it) and they kicked ass and actually had an encore!

gregc57

Reaction score
I remember. Bongiovi booed off the Nassau Coliseum stage on Long Island NY, many decades ago. I cannot remember who followed them, but the attendees had no tolerance for what Bongovi was putting out there.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was at that Edmonton concert. I think it was Tim Buckleyw

Mac had a huge following in Edmonton , followed by an equally formidable resentment when a bogus band took to the stage .

- Greetings From L.A. - is still one of my top ten desert island records . If it wasn't for the Fleetwood Mac fiasco , I may never have become aware of Tim Buckley . He stole the show .

Last edited:

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
I saw Areosmith in 1987 and Guns and Roses was supposed to be the opening act. When we got there the opening band was some band nobody ever heard of called Extreme. It turns out that Guns had gotten so big so quick that they left the Aerosmith tour to do the Monsters of Rock in England. This happened to be Extremes first ever big time show and the crowd was not too happy especially since Gary Cherone was prancing around and humping the mic stand. I guess we all felt like the only one allowed to act that way was Steven Tyler. I don't think Gary even realized how many people were angry that he wasn't Axel Rose.... Lol

I walked out of a Neil Young concert in the late 80's. I was right up front in blistering hot sun and we had to wait an extra hour so some old guy could tune a piano! Neil was not happy to be there and I was so close I could hear him mumbling how unhappy he was and how he just wanted to leave. The sound was terrible and his harmonica almost left me with total hearing loss. I was probably around 18 so my ears recovered after a few days. I lasted until crazy horse came on and after a few songs said forget it. It's funny how one bad concert can leave a lasting mark. I have always tried to remember that because I know Neil does some decent things but that experience of hearing him complain and put on a crappy show soured my whole image of him that I still think of today.
I saw Aerosmith in 77. Steven Tyler was so wasted he could barely walk and sing.
He kept calling the audience M effers. I thought to myself, I got ripped off.

bob

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was at that Edmonton concert. I think it was Tim Buckleyw

Mac had a huge following in Edmonton , followed by an equally formidable resentment when a bogus band took to the stage .

- Greetings From L.A. - is still one of my top ten desert island records . If it wasn't for the Fleetwood Mac fiasco , I may never have become aware of Tim Buckley . He stole the show .
i think the 2nd band on that bill was either status quo or mott the hoople . from what i can remember , yeah tim buckley was great

Pickinator

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Van Halen 1 has been out for a couple of weeks and was just starting to get radio play. They weren’t even on the bill but opened for Ronny Montrose followed by Journey. The concert was held at Riverside Theater in Milwaukee.

Van Halen’s second song was Eruption and Eddie broke a string midway through. He slammed his guitar to the floor, walked off, grabbed another guitar, came back out on stage, finished the song, and the crowd chanted “Montrose”. David Lee pleaded, “Milwaukee help us out”, “One more song?”. The chanting for Montrose continued.

Montrose came out and started getting Boos about the second song. They sounded fine but the bass player dressed like a female and pranced and acted very effeminate. The crowd was not having any of it. After about a half hour of building audience hostility the whole crowd began Chanting “Journey” and overpowered the sound system. Montrose left the stage followed by the rest of the band. The crowd cheered their leaving.

Then Journey came out playing music from the first 3 records (Next, Look into the Future...) with Greg Rollie singing and the Milwaukee crowd settled in for what they finally wanted to hear. They played about five songs and sounded very good. Then Greg announced their newest member Steve Perry. Steve came and was initially well received up until he started to sing and behave feminine as well. Touching Loving and Squeezing did not fly at all with the Milwaukee crowd and the Audience turned on Journey. They wanted the hard rock Journey and not the (new direction) Journey that went on to more commercial success.

Milwaukee can be a very tough place and expectations were not met. If Eddie hadn’t broken a string, If Montrose had a relaxed looking bass played, and Steve Perry remained backstage the evening might have been much different? The late 70s- what a time.

Pickinator

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I payed for 3 friends and myself to see that show. During the car ride back, I had commented about how everyone got Boos. The guys joked,”Yeah why did you bring us here?” I then got Boo ‘d in the car from my buddies. Milwaukee is tuff.

SplineSpider

Reaction score
Pat Travers 1982 Tulsa Oklahoma

I attended a Ted Nugent Concert at the Assembly Center in Tulsa, OK in 1982. Pat Travers was the opening act. Incredible band and incredibly talent all. Unfortunately Pat was really wasted and the crowd was rowdy. Someone flipped a cowboy hat up on Stage and Pat grabbed it and put it on. Staggered to the mic and yelled; "Look at me, I'm a G--D--- Fu---- Cowboy. All at once glass beer bottles and trash began to fly at the stage. Pat stomped off stage followed by his band. After a 20 minute intermission Ted took the stage and played an extra 45 minutes and really gave us our money's worth. Very unfortunate turn of events. Pat Travers and his band were incredibly talented and played very well in spite of how loaded Pat was. We were excited to see Pat Travers and covered several of his songs. We were shocked to see what happened.

Last edited:

thedrumdoctoruk

Reaction score
I saw Ozzy Osbourne in 1982 during his 'Diary of a Madman' tour (w/Randy Rhoads) and the support band was a group from London called Girl.

Unfortunately for Girl, the predominantly Liverpool male, hard-rock audience didn't take too kindly to men playing rock music in makeup and effeminate clothes (don't know how Bowie, Sweet etc got away with it in the 70s) and the abuse Girl received from the audience was unrelenting. Anything that could be thrown at them was (plastic drinks glasses were fortunately compulsory so no broken glass) and the angry shouts were of the, "f*** of you bunch of queers!" variety.

I can't remember if they finished their full set, but I remember it being quite quick!

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good Lord. That Van Halen / Montrose / Journey story beats everything I've ever heard!

Living in the "polite south", I've never experienced a boo fest, except at some more recent Kentucky Wildcat basketball games...but that's for another forum.

I saw U2 open for the J. Geils Band, March 13th, 1982, at Louisville Gardens. U2 put on a helluva show, and it was the first time I had heard of them. The audience, perhaps worse than booing, responded to each song with near-complete silence. At the end of their set - one that won me over and turned me into a rabid U2 fan - Bono, who had been drinking Blue Nun on stage, said "Thank you, Louisville - thank you, I think." It made people laugh, but they undoubtedly had had tougher crowds.

DaveLemonds

Reaction score
I saw KISS in high school. My first concert at Market Square arena in Indianapolis. Ted Nugent & Bob Seger were on the bill. Bob Seger was the first opening act and was booed off the stage. I then saw Aerosmtih on July 4th in the same arena. People were lighting off bottle rockets, M-80's firecrackers etc.. all over the place. Aerosmith's manager came out and threatened to not go on if everyone didn't stop. Aerosmith came out and were terrible of course. This was during their drug days and it was bad. I had to leave.

Orelob

Reaction score
Booed yes, off stage? No. Worcester Centrum, 1985 Twisted Sister opening for Iron Maiden. Dee Snider was kind of inspirational in his willingness to acknowledge the boos but not antagonize the situation and persevere through his performance. They were pretty good but clearly NOT the metal equivalent of the headliners! On the flip side, Worcester Centrum, spring 1987 the Cult opened for Billy Idol (we went to see the Cult, Electric had just been released and I already had the LP memorized, loved it) and they kicked ass and actually had an encore!
Twisted Sister was also booed in San Francisco's Cow Palace on the same 'World Slavery Tour', 1985-03-21 supporting Iron Maiden.

Last edited: