Ever sold lots of gear or your favorite piece of gear to fund something else?

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup.
Sold or gave away plenty of gear I was rather fond of.
Too many times.
But I can’t keep it all … so, out it goes.

drums1225

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been fortunate enough that I've never needed to sell gear to pay for non-musical items or other financial obligations. I've only sold gear to make room in my house, or to fund other gear purchases/upgrades. This is not because I've ever made a lot of money, but because I've always made a distinct point to keep my overhead low, live within my means, and by spending considerably less than I make. As a "blue collar" working musician, and someone who came from a modest middle class background, I've never taken money for granted.

When I finally left my part-time "safety net" job and took the plunge into playing and teaching music full time, I hired my first accountant. Something he said to me really stuck: "It's not about how much you make, it's about how much you keep ". Truer words were never spoken.

Roch

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sold a Dunnett SS to buy a generator. No regrets. It was after a storm ripped through and knocked
My power out for a couple of days. I had the money to buy the generator but I never played the drum so I was happy.

I sold a 60’s 6.5x 14 Ludwig Super Classic to help fund a 60’s Gretsch kit. No regrets, but I miss that snare drum. I’d buy it again if it showed up at my local again.

Last edited:

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Back in 2018, one of my band members got cancer and it pretty much halted all of our gigs. Sadly he passed in 2020 but the year 2018 was also the year that we needed parts of the roof repaired and a new propane heating system put in. It sucked but I sold my really nice silver sparkle jazzette from the 70's. It was a really cool set but was not being used much as jazz has pretty much vanished in my area. I really can't complain though as the sale of that set really helped on some of those bills. I sold it to Wood and Weather and I noticed that it ended up at Rusty drums in England. Hopefully someone is enjoying it now.

Attachments

• Jazzette.jpg
    Jazzette.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 5

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Back in 2018, one of my band members got cancer and it pretty much halted all of our gigs. Sadly he passed in 2020 but the year 2018 was also the year that we needed parts of the roof repaired and a new propane heating system put in. It sucked but I sold my really nice silver sparkle jazzette from the 70's. It was a really cool set but was not being used much as jazz has pretty much vanished in my area. I really can't complain though as the sale of that set really helped on some of those bills. I sold it to Wood and Weather and I noticed that it ended up at Rusty drums in England. Hopefully someone is enjoying it now.
Wow this one was a great example that really answered the post.
Selling a 70’s Jazzette to pay for new roofing!!!

Sometimes gotta be logical and just do it but I know it hurts!

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m about to have to sell some of my favorite gear to pay for some vet bills. It’s a bummer, but losing my buddy early would be an even bigger bummer.
Hope it works out for you. I kept my ancient dog around for more than two years after she became very inconvenient, and after the first vet suggested pressing the easy button. Though it cost me tons of time and a bit of money, and I had the bad luck of having to call it when she had a pep in her step but there was impending unavoidable suffering she couldn't see looming just over the horizon, we kept each other happy (and her existence just barely warded off deer, raccoons, and the local fox) for a couple extra years.

Phantomlimb777

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hope it works out for you. I kept my ancient dog around for more than two years after she became very inconvenient, and after the first vet suggested pressing the easy button. Though it cost me tons of time and a bit of money, and I had the bad luck of having to call it when she had a pep in her step but there was impending unavoidable suffering she couldn't see looming just over the horizon, we kept each other happy (and her existence just barely warded off deer, raccoons, and the local fox) for a couple extra years.

I’ve gotta get some cysts tested that have popped up recently, enough to be slightly alarming. She’s my closest animal companion.
A rescue to begin with, so I’m gonna do what I can.
Thank you

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve gotta get some cysts tested that have popped up recently, enough to be slightly alarming. She’s my closest animal companion.
A rescue to begin with, so I’m gonna do what I can.
Thank you
That was the situation over here. I spent the Christmas Eve before last sitting in the parking lot of the 24 hour vet until 3AM (no entry b/c covid) because she chewed a cyst off her belly. She was shaggy so I wasn't aware of the problem. "OMG Mom, it looks like a slasher film in here. I'll call you back tomorrow." The dog bounced back enough to hobble-chase a rabbit during snowpocalypse. She seemed to be very proud of herself for asserting her turf dominance.

BoomBoom

Reaction score
No.

But my first ex-wife sold a nice Instanbul crash cymbal and a boom stand out from under my nose once.

TonyVazquez

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've lost count of how much music gear
I've sold (or pawned) in my adult musician
lifetime to pay back-rent or keep up with
rent and/or cellular phone bills during
periods of unemployment.
It's depressing, to say the least.
Embarrassing. Even shameful.
But, a man has to survive somehow, right!

I don't wanna think in detail about
what gear I've sacrificed, as they were
gear that I wanted but never got to
fully enjoy to their maximum.
And, I hope that I would never have to
go through that mess again.

The future, however, I have no control
of it when the time comes.
I cannot be a musician forever.
Eventually I will have to sell my gear
when I am too old to continue rockin.
Therefore I will rock as hard as I can
Right Now while my time is precious.
Tomorrow is never promised.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
4 or 5 years ago I had a month with no rent money. I bit the bullet and sold my only drums, a NEW Rogers Londoner 5. I managed to pay the rent & make a mad dash up to Montreal to pick up a Rogers Big R Londoner 5 with the difference, by the skin of my teeth.

little rock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What a timely thread for me. I have a lot of drum stuff that is not being used. I have stuff I don't even know I have. The wife and I have been discussing selling some of it to build a new deck on the back of the river house and a new man-deck on the back of my garage for my next-door neighbor, brothers-in-law, and me to use and enjoy.

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve sold music gear to buy bicycle gear and vice versa …..
In 1994 I sold my 13 pc Pearl kit (Wood Fiberglass from the 70’s) along with all my Zildjian cymbals, stands, etc., to buy my first high end road bike.
It was a good move as I had burned out on playing and would spend the next 20 years riding, racing, retailing, and coaching, making my mark in the latter 2.
I came back to drumming after the bicycle obsession left me and everything timed out comfortably.
No regrets.

tradrad

Pro
Reaction score
funny (weird, not ha ha) to come across this thread...now...cause i'm actually in the strange dilemma of considering the sale of something i KNOW i'll never be able to re-purchase. certainly not soon and certainly not 'it'...and definitely not at a 'close to sale' price...and it's kinda not for any other reason than my wife's peace of mind...paying for something that will most certainly need addressing again in the near-ish future.
a long time ago a close friend warned me against doing such deeds...and i have pretty much kept true to that advice...but when i don't, it's usually big :p this would/will be ginormous...

Drums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
TWO vintage Rogers kits--a blue sparkle and a pink champagne and both in pretty good condition--sold (actually traded in, so I took a hit) for a new C&C kit with wood hoops that I just had to have. Liked the C&C but it's now gone, too. I was trying to lighten the gigging load and the Rogers are heavy. Only gigged the champagne once but the blue toured a bit...