Expanding TD-17KVX?

myl3tt91

Reaction score
I just sold my acoustic set and making the transition to an e-kit. I have done some research over the past week between the Alesis Strike Pro and TD-17KVX, and from the sound of it, the TD is going to last me longer. My main question is the capabilities of this e-kit with expanding to another tom and an extra cymbal or two....or five. Five is a joke of course, but I do want at least one more at some point. I have been reading around and watching videos, but I never seem to get a straight answer. Can some of you guys let me know how much you have been able to expand and update your TD-17KVX? Thanks!

tarocco

Reaction score
The TD-17 drum brain has most of it's inputs on a single breakout cable - that covers the snare, hihat, ride, three toms and a crash. It has two additional inputs for expansion, but on the KVX model one of those is taken by the second crash. So you have one additional aux input to play with. You can use splitter cables, but that that comes with some compromises:

Overall the TD-17KVX is by far the best deal in edrums today and I'd strongly recommend it. Roland gear is just much higher quality than Alesis. Expandability is not it's strong point though, but one extra cymbal will be no problem.

myl3tt91

Reaction score
The TD-17 drum brain has most of it's inputs on a single breakout cable - that covers the snare, hihat, ride, three toms and a crash. It has two additional inputs for expansion, but on the KVX model one of those is taken by the second crash. So you have one additional aux input to play with. You can use splitter cables, but that that comes with some compromises:

Overall the TD-17KVX is by far the best deal in edrums today and I'd strongly recommend it. Roland gear is just much higher quality than Alesis. Expandability is not it's strong point though, but one extra cymbal will be no problem.

Ok, that sounds good. The longevity of the Rolands, from what I have read, was the deciding factor. Alesis are pretty sexy, but the Rolands just seem more reliable. I'm cool with just a single extra cymbal, but this won't be for a while anyways. Thanks for the response!

tarocco

Reaction score
No problem! I'll be honest and say I'm spending much more time with my low volume acoustic kit than edrums these days, but I still enjoy my TD-17 when I need to be extra quiet. I never really cared for the built in sounds, so I usually use Superior Drummer on my laptop. I've put lots of hours into it over last year and half and never had a single issue.

Latest posts