Experience/anecdotal evidence- Oriollo 12/15/20

12/14/20 or 12/15/20 or 12/16/20

• Total voters

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
Hey guys n gals,

I was hoping some of you could chime in with pearls of wisdom regarding 12/15/20. It seems like a natural, but then why is it almost always 12/14/20? Idk.

I’m ready to get a set of Oriollo Phantom, and I’ve always liked 12/14/20 but often wished for juuust a bit more low end on the floor. 12/15/20 would seem to be a nice way to go. I like that it’s a little different than the average bear. Any reason why 12/14 or 12/16 is preferred over 12/15/20?

I’m a lapsed user btw, names Dan, old fart, all around bad ass, legend in my own mind. Came back around just reading and dropped back in to hear what you prophets of percussion think. So thanks!

MrYikes

Reaction score
I called Sweetwater to order a 15" Remo Ambassador Coated head. The guy said "Remo doesn't make a 15" head". So that is why no one prefers the 15. You can't get a 15" head to fit it. I mean the guy at Sweetwater knows what he's talking about, right?

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve never had an issue getting deep out of my vintage 14’s (Rogers and Camco). I have a phantom kit in 22-13-16 and it kills. If I was going 20-12 I would seriously consider a 15. Should be a great bridge between 14 and 16. Youu should still be able to get a great sound out of a 15 and it should be easy enough to find heads online.

El Larry

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was able to get an Aquarian for a 15" Grandstar tom I made into a floor. It was a killer floor tom, and hook up slightly less room when hauling to a show.

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
I usually use a coated Amb or Aquarian TC. Unless the guy at Sweetwater knows his stuff, and in that case Remo doesn’t make a 15” Amb. lol.

Yeah, I’m not knocking 12/14/20 (or 12/14/18 - another great combo, bop perfection). I have both and love them. I’m playing 13/16/24 Club Dates and love them too for what they are, although if I needed just one diverse kit (of mine) it’d probably be 12/14/20.

It’s not that the 14” isn’t good enough at all. I’m just thinking for a set that will be used for funk/r&b/blues the option of getting a bit deeper could be very nice. From what I’m hearing and reading, the Oriollos seem to shine in the low-med to low range as well. I think it’s interesting that quite a few people seem to be going with 12/15/20 from Oriollo, maybe because they finally have that option. (I see vintage kits in 12/15/20, and some Oriollos and that’s about it). And as you say, it’s a cool bridge between the tight 14” and the growly 16”. Idk, 12/16/20, while making logical sense stepwise seems somehow wrong to me (too big a step? Or just that it’s unusual so my brain isn’t used to seeing it? Who knows?).

The lack of sets in the 12/15/20 dimensions had me wondering is all. Like, is there a REASON you don’t see the combo. Why is the 15” tom an endangered species in general? Why has there never been a 17” tom? Hmmm? Just about factory efficiency or is there a deeper conspiracy here?

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’m a huge fan and proponent of the 12-15 spread for a two tom kit. It’s just the perfect balance of tone, feel, and oomph.

Aquarian and Evans make a wide range of 15” heads.

I think it’s a vicious circle: fewer kits were made with 15s during the last half of last century, so fewer people need 15 heads, so manufacturers drop them, so drum brands are reluctant to make 15 toms part of their line. It’s a combination of “economy of scale” and people just buying what they think is normal.

shuffle

DFO Master
Reaction score
15s here!
Love 12,15,20,perfect spread.
Punchy like a 14,less ponderous than a 16.

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
Hopefully I’ll be dead by the time they stop making 15” heads... Remo at least will keep making 15” Ambassadors as long as all those vintage 15s are out there.

I’ve been thinking about the 12/15/20 Oriollo set since that first video I saw here, it must’ve been almost 5 years ago now? 3 or 4 anyway. Just loved that sound and loved the drums and the whole concept. You could tell they were something special and I think they’re getting better and more creative all the time. (I do miss that galaxy splatter finish though, it’s the only one that had me torn - between brushed/raw finish or the galaxy. Sable noir is lovely, but i don’t know if I can cover up that beautiful metal)

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 15x15 Kent (Kenmore, NY) floor tom. I bought the kit because of that drum. Its very cool! The sound is wider and roomier than a 14” but more compact than a 16”. The BDP matches the classic Gretsch and Leedy and Ludwig finishes so I can pair it with a variety of drums and avoid using 16” floor toms which just don't work for me. All of my regular working kits have 14” floor toms but the 15” is a nice change without going off the deep end. Good luck with your new setup!

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Another vote here for 12/15/20. The local GC or Sam Ash may not have them in stock, simply because there's not much call for them. But, they are readily available online!

Here's my 1966 Rogers Headliner with a custom made 12x15 converted from a Rogers marching tenor drum. Precision wrapped the tom in Blue Glass Glitter and I specified to have the seam where Rogers would put it. It's a great sounding floor tom!

I added a matching 14x14 to my 1967 Slingerland kit, but never cared for it. I eventually sold the tom.

-Mark

Attachments

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
I called Sweetwater to order a 15" Remo Ambassador Coated head. The guy said "Remo doesn't make a 15" head". So that is why no one prefers the 15. You can't get a 15" head to fit it. I mean the guy at Sweetwater knows what he's talking about, right?
Remo makes pretty much everything (except for possibly classic fit) in 15" as standard issue. I know, as I've owned them all and never had to special order anything.

For what you're describing, a 12/15/20 kit would be great. I had a kit in those sizes for years. Great all-around, can do pretty much anything.

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My 15" is just a SP (GCs house brand), but even it's a great drum! I keep a few varied heads for it that I've acquired over the years.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 15x14 Keller shell’ed DW and it is the biggest and natural sounding floor I have had. Best single floor tom size ever.

I voted 15”.

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
Nice! Thanks for so many great replies. Seems to be nothing but enthusiasm for the 15” tom, I guess I can do my part to keep it alive. Gotta keep buying those 15” heads so they keep on making them.

You know what’s funny? I think one of the best sounding kits on the Oriollo site videos is the 12/14/16! That bass drum sounds sooo good, it reminds me a lot of a Yamaha Recording Custom bd, and that ain’t a bad thing (especially for a $600 drum). 16” just seems so pocket size! I wonder why they don’t make an 18” bd? I didn’t want to bother them with an email to satisfy my curiosity but I can only assume it’s a machining thing, idk. 12/15/18 would definitely be on my radar, but a 20” bd can definitely still be quite musical and that’s what I like about smaller basses. Tone. A big round full bass sound never sounds small, no matter the drum size.

Any reason why 15x13 over 15x14? Is it easier to tune a drum the ‘less square’ it is? I notice one of the first released kits was 12/15/20 with a 15x13ft and that made me stop and think. I’m assuming a new company sending out a new kit for review is gonna send what will sound best, but it could be I’m overthinking it. But also, non-square ft’s are almost always 2” shallower, not just 1”. Some science there?

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
definitely email Vukan at Oriollo about the 18in bass drum. I'm sure he can make one for you.

I believe that currently the deepest drum Oriollo can make is a 14. My kick is 14x22, my floor is 14x16. Vukan at Oriollo can definitely answer all of your questions and will do so happily and quickly.

dogmanaut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A 12/14/20 just popped up on Reverb but it’s pretty beat imho. Something about somebody built them from shells, wrong bass hoops, etc. Looks they were rode hard and put away wet, and asking too much for the condition. He’s taking offers.

Oriollo Phantom 3-piece seamless spun aluminum kit 20/12/14 Brushed aluminum
https://reverb.com/item/26515747-oriollo-phantom-3-piece-seamless-spun-aluminum-kit-20-12-14-brushed-aluminum?utm_source=ios-app&utm_medium=shareView attachment 404542
Ugh. What an idiot, right?! Hold up... that rug looks weirdly familiar to me....

Latest posts