Experience/anecdotal evidence- Oriollo 12/15/20

12/14/20 or 12/15/20 or 12/16/20

• Total voters

dogmanaut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I guess I’ll chime in re: the original question, though. As someone currently selling my beat-to-sh*t, ridden-hard, and put-away-soaking-wet Oriollos in one of the configurations you’re asking about, if I were buying brand new, I would definitely go for a 15” ft.

Last edited:

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
Ugh. What an idiot, right?! Hold up... that rug looks weirdly familiar to me....

Hey, alls fair in love and drums. Not criticizing, just calling it how I see it. It’d only cost $1797 for a 12/14/20 new right? So $1650 is a lot for a MINTY used kit, to me. I love me some gently used gear but for $147 I still get a kick out of opening boxes and smelling some fresh drums. Granted they’re not exactly coming out of the woodwork used, to say the least... Which is always a good sign! You know you’re onto something good when nobody wants to sell theirs.

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
Never said beat, or soaking either;) I don’t think rode hard and put away wet is the same as beat to ish - It’s kind of a colloquialism for “players kit” , which is a nice way of saying they don’t look so great but they sound like they should. Beat to ish would involve dents and broken things, you don’t have any of that.

Certainly I didn’t mean to offend, although I can see how that may have sounded harsh. I’d probably feel like that if they were my drums, so I do apologize for that. I should have been more conscientious. Definitely didn’t mean to imply that they were unsound, just referring to appearance. Players kit would’ve left me with less foot in mouth, I’ll go with players kit next time!

dogmanaut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
“Hey, alls fair in love and drums.”

Uh... that’s not an expression.

But you’re right, if someone bought it full price and shipping ended up coming out to exactly what my exaggerated non-estimate was, then yes, it would only save you $147 vs. buying new. (Unless you went w/ wood hoops; those are an extra $30.) And in that case, I would buy new. But I do take offers, and I don’t expect shipping to be that much, and at the end of the day, if it doesn’t sell... I’m stuck with an Oriollo kit! Oh, CRAP, right?!

Last edited:

dogmanaut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Never said beat
Yes, you definitely did say “beat.”

It’s fine, though, man. A bit awkward — for both of us, I would imagine — but whatever. If you want to make it up to me, just go to Reverb and hit “buy” ;)

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
You’re right, I did say beat (not to any excremental degree though) Hey, I’m only human. I wouldn’t have described them that way if you were standing next to me, so I shouldn’t have described them that way at all, mea culpa. (And I think it’s pretty cool that you still gave your advice) My apology couldn’t be more sincere, it was uncool of me. Thinking of it from your perspective, it wasn’t so nice a way to phrase it. Especially from the new guy who just waltzed in, I get that. I truly did only mean that they ‘looked’ rough, not that they’re somehow damaged.

Rode hard and put away wet sure most definitely is a saying, it just means it looks rough. I might be an asshat sometimes but I never lie about language. It might be kinda old west, or old fashioned, but it’s a saying.

I didn’t include a link sarcastically or anything,and that’s why I said he’s taking offers. I got that you’re flexible, and I wanted to let people know there was a used set available because it’s rare. My intro could’ve been better but I genuinely bumped the post. For someone.

For me, when I see a starting price of 92% retail for a used ANYTHING, flexible or not, I just say not the sale for me. I just assume the seller has a number in mind that’s too high for what I’m thinking. Somebody might be thinking, hmm I’d pay more like 80% of new, maybe me and this guy can negotiate. Idk. I only know what I think something is worth to me.

Gunnellett

Reaction score
There was an Oriollo set on the for sale section of this site a couple of weeks ago that I wanted to grab badly! They are just such killer looking sets and the price was great. What held me back was the bass drum. Now I have not heard an Oriollo person so can only go by the videos. Every video has left me wanting more with the bass drum. The bass drums seem like all attack and short notes. No real "boomph" that knocks you in the chest so to say. As I said, I have not heard one in real life so could be completely wrong on that. However, in those same videos the toms and snares were killer for sure.

I didn't bring up my thoughts on the bass drums earlier out of respect for the gentleman selling the set cause I didn't want to potentially bring up something that could hurt a sale, especially something unsubstantiated.

As far as the original topic, I think a 15" floor tom would be cool. 2 thoughts on it though. First, it will be more costly if you are someone who likes to experiment with different head combos as you won't be able to buy the standard discounted drum head packs which are usually a pretty good savings and often include a snare head. Second, if you decided to go with a 2 down setup down the road, what would your other floor tom be? A 14"? A 16"? Would you be happy with the spead?

dogmanaut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Rode hard and put away wet sure most definitely is a saying, it just means it looks rough. I might be an asshat sometimes but I never lie about language. It might be kinda old west, or old fashioned, but it’s a saying.
Not what I was referring to when I said “that’s not an expression.” (I edited that post for clarity when I saw you’d written more, but I guess you didn’t see that.)

Anyway, it’s fine, man. It was not the bump I would have asked for, and just for the record, I think you’ve overstated the flaws on my kit by quite a lot. The hoops are where 90% of the blemishes are, and as I stated in the listing, they were grabbed from another set of drums altogether, so they don’t exactly represent the amount of wear and tear the kit has seen overall. Swap the hoops out, though, and everything else is actually in great shape — yes, minus some scratches here and there. (I think you’ll find when you get your set that brushed aluminum shows marks pretty easily, much like satin finishes. Heads up.)

But it’s fine. Not a big deal. Go forth and buy your Oriollos and enjoy the crap out of them. Just whatever you do, do NOT put them away wet! ;)

Last edited:

REF

Reaction score
I would probably go 12, 16, 20 or 10, 15, 20 and keep the math more natural for head tone.

Having owned and made 15's why would a merchant say Remo doesn't make a 15" head? As long as companies are making 15" drums, logically, companies will make 15" heads. What an odd thing for that guy to tell you.

bconrad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I guess I’ll chime in re: the original question, though. As someone currently selling my beat-to-sh*t, ridden-hard, and put-away-soaking-wet Oriollos in one of the configurations you’re asking about, if I were buying brand new, I would definitely go for a 15” ft.
Not what I was referring to when I said “that’s not an expression.” (I edited that post for clarity when I saw you’d written more, but I guess you didn’t see that.)

Anyway, it’s fine, man. It was not the bump I would have asked for, and just for the record, I think you’ve overstated the flaws on my kit by quite a lot. The hoops are where 90% of the blemishes are, and as I stated in the listing, they were grabbed from another set of drums altogether, so they don’t exactly represent the amount of wear and tear the kit has seen overall. Swap the hoops out, though, and everything else is actually in great shape — yes, minus some scratches here and there. (I think you’ll find when you get your set that brushed aluminum shows marks pretty easily, much like satin finishes. Heads up.)

But it’s fine. Not a big deal. Go forth and buy your Oriollos and enjoy the crap out of them. Just whatever you do, do NOT put them away wet! ;)
That’s my old kit. It looks rougher than it is. The hoops came that way, and there were a few shell scratches when I bought it; nothing huge. Slap some new BD hoops on there, and you probably wouldn’t notice too much. It was a “rough” finish to begin with but these drums sound great.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I would probably go 12, 16, 20 or 10, 15, 20 and keep the math more natural for head tone.
20 to 16 is 1.25:1
20 to 15 is 1.33:1

16 to 12 is 1.33:1
15 to 12 is 1.25:1

15 to 10 is 1.5:1, which is disproportionate.

Drumming-4-Life

Reaction score
Nice! Thanks for so many great replies. Seems to be nothing but enthusiasm for the 15” tom, I guess I can do my part to keep it alive. Gotta keep buying those 15” heads so they keep on making them.

You know what’s funny? I think one of the best sounding kits on the Oriollo site videos is the 12/14/16! That bass drum sounds sooo good, it reminds me a lot of a Yamaha Recording Custom bd, and that ain’t a bad thing (especially for a $600 drum). 16” just seems so pocket size! I wonder why they don’t make an 18” bd? I didn’t want to bother them with an email to satisfy my curiosity but I can only assume it’s a machining thing, idk. 12/15/18 would definitely be on my radar, but a 20” bd can definitely still be quite musical and that’s what I like about smaller basses. Tone. A big round full bass sound never sounds small, no matter the drum size.

Any reason why 15x13 over 15x14? Is it easier to tune a drum the ‘less square’ it is? I notice one of the first released kits was 12/15/20 with a 15x13ft and that made me stop and think. I’m assuming a new company sending out a new kit for review is gonna send what will sound best, but it could be I’m overthinking it. But also, non-square ft’s are almost always 2” shallower, not just 1”. Some science there?
I thought I'd just chime in to say I voted for 12/14/20, but REALLY, I think you should splurge and get 12/14/16/20. You would have so many set-up possibilities, including using both floors together, having one on each side of you, and only using the 14 or the 16 alone. I would probably enjoy having the 14 floor to the left of my hi-hat, because I love having a tom to that side.

dogmanaut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That’s my old kit. It looks rougher than it is. The hoops came that way, and there were a few shell scratches when I bought it; nothing huge. Slap some new BD hoops on there, and you probably wouldn’t notice too much. It was a “rough” finish to begin with but these drums sound great.
Yep. Totally agree. And it actually just sold about two hours ago.

kb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys n gals,

I was hoping some of you could chime in with pearls of wisdom regarding 12/15/20. It seems like a natural, but then why is it almost always 12/14/20? Idk.

I’m ready to get a set of Oriollo Phantom, and I’ve always liked 12/14/20 but often wished for juuust a bit more low end on the floor. 12/15/20 would seem to be a nice way to go. I like that it’s a little different than the average bear. Any reason why 12/14 or 12/16 is preferred over 12/15/20?

I’m a lapsed user btw, names Dan, old fart, all around bad ass, legend in my own mind. Came back around just reading and dropped back in to hear what you prophets of percussion think. So thanks!
The only reason 12/14/20 or 12/(or 13)/16/20 is so common is because those were the most common sizes. It has nothing to do with tonal or pitch concerns. It's purely just what the drum builder's were set up to make. 15" drums, whether snare, toms or bass, are much more rare than 14 or 16.

12/15 toms are a great combination. Plenty of 15" heads are available, 'tho perhaps not in a small town music store.

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
20 to 16 is 1.25:1
20 to 15 is 1.33:1

16 to 12 is 1.33:1
15 to 12 is 1.25:1

15 to 10 is 1.5:1, which is disproportionate.
Yeah, I’m thinking what could be more natural than a 12/15 tom combo? Not sure how you came to that conclusion. 10/15 is quite a spread, not very natural sounding at all. Bing bing, boom boom. 12/15/18 would be very interesting and natural but they’re not doing 18’s just yet. 12/15 is just a different version of the classic 13/16. I think a 12” tom can be a little more ‘musical’ and a 16” tom can sometimes be a little more growly than I’m looking for on this particular set. I love 13/16 but that’s another set altogether.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
20/12/16 You can cover the highs with the 12 and have a thunderous tympani type available within the 16.
Plus you won't have to explain anything when time to sell. It's a nice wide span within a kit. 15? may as well get the fourteen . 15's half-a-loaf of either 14 or 16.

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Agree - you will take a bath selling the set anyway because it's not a "big name" so you might as well do 12/14 or 12/16.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
“Half a loaf” in this case means the best of both worlds, imo, for a two-tom setup.
I think it means a neither world- either you want a tight difference 12/14 or a nice wide open gaping Grand Canyon- 12/16

12/ 15 is a unsure meh. may as well go for the 14. Commit to 14 or 16 rather than non-commit.