Experience/anecdotal evidence- Oriollo 12/15/20

12/14/20 or 12/15/20 or 12/16/20

• Total voters

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
Good question. What I like about the 15" diameter is the ability to go shorter on the depth. Shorter bass drums and shorter floor toms are my thing. Shorter rack toms too! However, I do love a good 8" deep snare lol!~
Ahhh, so you’re a ‘tuna-can man’! I don’t judge.

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
what finish did you go with?

Well, I haven’t picked a finish yet. Vukan said I could take the time while the drums are being made to decide. So far I like the Sable Noir and Brushed.

Sable Noir - I’m not usually a black drum finish guy at all but something about the way that Sable Noir sets off the tridrop lugs is magic. Elegant. And it’s a nice black, I do like a matte finish on drums, it makes a nice contrast with the shiny bits in general.

Brushed - because they’re beautiful metal drums and the brushed finish proudly proclaims it (and looks pretty sweet with stained wood hoops on bd). But of course the lugs don’t ‘pop’ off the brushed shells like they do on black.

Before the tridrop lugs came, I was all “I would NEVER cover up the aluminum”. Then I saw the Sable Noir with the tridrop lug. Argghgghh. As far as quandaries go it’s a good one to have, granted.

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
I have the sable blue. I really like it.
Just been looking at (drooling on) the sable blue on the website pics, that’s a really nice, rich color. Looks all suede-y like you want to walk up and rub em. I mean, I wouldn’t just start rubbing your drums, but they look like that.

Vukan has solved my finish dilemma... But you guys are gonna have to wait and see what I picked! It’s a cliffhanger. I’ll be right back here to post pics as soon I open the shipping boxes (on the day I’m calling ‘Christmas came early this year’)I don’t know if you guys still do DOTM but I will proudly enter them if you do. I’m literally going to sleep at night thinking about this kit... Is that wrong? I don’t care, it feels so right.

REF

Reaction score
20 to 16 is 1.25:1
20 to 15 is 1.33:1

16 to 12 is 1.33:1
15 to 12 is 1.25:1

15 to 10 is 1.5:1, which is disproportionate.
I have found over the years that simple/equal head dimension and depth dimension differences work well for intervals. Of course, that depends on how the heads are tensioned, as well. "First Call" is well known by drummers just messing around on typically tuned toms, for typical sizes used today. In that scenario, where multiple toms are generally 2" different for heads, you get "First Call" quite naturally. It depends on the intervals a 4 pc player wants to hear. Subjective. So many players muffle bass drums extensively enough that the musical intervals are moot.

Head size differences is just something that works out pretty cool. A 4", 5" or 6" difference between tom, floor and kick generally has a pleasing set of tones. But, again, subjective.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I called Sweetwater to order a 15" Remo Ambassador Coated head. The guy said "Remo doesn't make a 15" head". So that is why no one prefers the 15. You can't get a 15" head to fit it. I mean the guy at Sweetwater knows what he's talking about, right?

:rolleyes: I expect better from Sweetwater... Not all heads are available in 15, but a coated ambassador is. (I use a CS Black dot on my snare)

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
Did you get em yet?!?
I did! Thanks for the motivation, my post has been long overdue... I absolutely love the 12/15/20 setup, it makes SO much sense I can’t believe it hasn’t caught on.

The finish is called ‘Vintage Bell’, it’s a matte finish, very subtly metallic, that’s evocative of an old statue. I wanted something dark enough to offset those stunning tridrop lugs, but an earthy color that would also look great with bronze cymbals and creamy heads. Vukan came through and made my vision a reality, just nailed it. He communicated with me every step along the way, even after he realized I was an obsessive-compulsive perfectionist! The drums were ready in short order, and were at my door in pristine shape 10 days after leaving Serbia. This is a set that’s been on my wishlist since their debut, and it was worth the wait. I think Vukan is making some of the best drums in the world right now and I’m very, very lucky to own them.

These drums do very well at med-low to low tension and I can tell you the 15” is perfectly capable of the lowest 16” lows and a simply huge, fat sound. With the 12” and 15” tuned low, the sound defies the size of the kit - it’s crazy. A really distinct sound that’s entirely musical. Tuned up, they sound beautiful together, IMHO better than a 12/14 pairing (again, at med - low tuning, not talking jazz kits). They have a surprising resonance, with a lot of warmth - the Evans Calftones accentuate that (clear G1s on reso side). I like very little attack on the toms, with a ton of tone. Both heads tuned almost the same (bottom higher for low, fat tunings), and then muffle a tiny bit to shorten sustain and dry it up a little. These drums seem perfectly designed for this, offering a pure, clean sound. Never would you guess that they were metal drums, if you were blindfolded you’d just be scratching your head! The 12” is ridiculously easy to tune, with a wiiide sweetspot. The 15” ft took more time to dial in, but now that I know what it ‘likes’ it’s a pussycat. I’ve got a few cotton balls floating inside the ft, and for a dry sound I’ll use one small Trutone on each toms batter. (Ive also installed S-hoops top and bottom)
The bass drum is a beauty, I’m in love with the wood hoops (check out that gorgeous grain!). Bass took some taming but I’ve got it right where I want it. Evans Calftone EMAD batter, Calftone EQ4 reso, no port, felt strip on reso. That’s it, no laundry. BOOM. Short sustain, no ringiness, but a LOT of tone for a big round gut punch. Low fundamental, even tuned up enough to feel great it stays down in the feel-it-in-your-chest frequencies.
Overall, the 12/15/20 experiment was a smashing success, a resounding thank you to those who championed the 15”! I’ve had no problem getting heads btw, I haven’t found a head I’d want that doesn’t come in a 15”. I love it every time someone says “I’ve never seen a 15” floor tom...it sounds awesome”! I love a 12/14/18 kit for jazz, it’s perfect. 12/14/20 makes a great “all rounder” kit, and it definitely works for a good range of sounds. But to me - for groove, funk, soul, blues, dark-jazz, the spread is a little too small and the 14” is a little too high. The 12/15/20 is like the Goldilocks groove kit, it’s juuuust right. It can do beefy 70’s , down to deep dark and low, and back up to R&B. 15” floor toms for life!

(Photos: Cymbals- Sabian SR2 15” thin/medium hats, 18” thin crash, 20” thin ride w/2 rivets, 20” thin ride, Zildjian K Custom Dark 8” splash over 8” A splash (x-hat configuration)
Snares- 10x5 Tama Ash popcorn 13x7 Pork Pie USA Patina Brass
Hardware - Tama Classic series)
86AE7CEE-B898-4A62-ADFE-E239F041F484.jpeg
1C319C02-D977-4372-A1B3-9009929CAF9C.jpeg
7937375F-31EC-4EC2-A543-CC2618BC8C67.jpeg
3096A632-84F9-4667-A575-0DC6708804E2.jpeg
919E9A73-CD87-4F80-9A56-9894D4914E6A.jpeg
C74C88AE-38CE-4814-ADFC-74B2FBE35050.jpeg

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I did! Thanks for the motivation, my post has been long overdue... I absolutely love the 12/15/20 setup, it makes SO much sense I can’t believe it hasn’t caught on.

The finish is called ‘Vintage Bell’, it’s a matte finish, very subtly metallic, that’s evocative of an old statue. I wanted something dark enough to offset those stunning tridrop lugs, but an earthy color that would also look great with bronze cymbals and creamy heads. Vukan came through and made my vision a reality, just nailed it. He communicated with me every step along the way, even after he realized I was an obsessive-compulsive perfectionist! The drums were ready in short order, and were at my door in pristine shape 10 days after leaving Serbia. This is a set that’s been on my wishlist since their debut, and it was worth the wait. I think Vukan is making some of the best drums in the world right now and I’m very, very lucky to own them.

These drums do very well at med-low to low tension and I can tell you the 15” is perfectly capable of the lowest 16” lows and a simply huge, fat sound. With the 12” and 15” tuned low, the sound defies the size of the kit - it’s crazy. A really distinct sound that’s entirely musical. Tuned up, they sound beautiful together, IMHO better than a 12/14 pairing (again, at med - low tuning, not talking jazz kits). They have a surprising resonance, with a lot of warmth - the Evans Calftones accentuate that (clear G1s on reso side). I like very little attack on the toms, with a ton of tone. Both heads tuned almost the same (bottom higher for low, fat tunings), and then muffle a tiny bit to shorten sustain and dry it up a little. These drums seem perfectly designed for this, offering a pure, clean sound. Never would you guess that they were metal drums, if you were blindfolded you’d just be scratching your head! The 12” is ridiculously easy to tune, with a wiiide sweetspot. The 15” ft took more time to dial in, but now that I know what it ‘likes’ it’s a pussycat. I’ve got a few cotton balls floating inside the ft, and for a dry sound I’ll use one small Trutone on each toms batter. (Ive also installed S-hoops top and bottom)
The bass drum is a beauty, I’m in love with the wood hoops (check out that gorgeous grain!). Bass took some taming but I’ve got it right where I want it. Evans Calftone EMAD batter, Calftone EQ4 reso, no port, felt strip on reso. That’s it, no laundry. BOOM. Short sustain, no ringiness, but a LOT of tone for a big round gut punch. Low fundamental, even tuned up enough to feel great it stays down in the feel-it-in-your-chest frequencies.
Overall, the 12/15/20 experiment was a smashing success, a resounding thank you to those who championed the 15”! I’ve had no problem getting heads btw, I haven’t found a head I’d want that doesn’t come in a 15”. I love it every time someone says “I’ve never seen a 15” floor tom...it sounds awesome”! I love a 12/14/18 kit for jazz, it’s perfect. 12/14/20 makes a great “all rounder” kit, and it definitely works for a good range of sounds. But to me - for groove, funk, soul, blues, dark-jazz, the spread is a little too small and the 14” is a little too high. The 12/15/20 is like the Goldilocks groove kit, it’s juuuust right. It can do beefy 70’s , down to deep dark and low, and back up to R&B. 15” floor toms for life!

(Photos: Cymbals- Sabian SR2 15” thin/medium hats, 18” thin crash, 20” thin ride w/2 rivets, 20” thin ride, Zildjian K Custom Dark 8” splash over 8” A splash (x-hat configuration)
Snares- 10x5 Tama Ash popcorn 13x7 Pork Pie USA Patina Brass
Hardware - Tama Classic series)View attachment 415521View attachment 415522View attachment 415524View attachment 415525View attachment 415526View attachment 415527

Wow. Those a beautiful. Thanks for the review! Now I want a set even more!

Latest posts