Experience with extended snare systems.

ToBBa

Reaction score
Hi all.
I am in the process of finishing a snare with an extended snare system that I put together. I've never played a snare with extended wires, built it out of curiosity I guess.
I have played a lot of parallel action drums that are quite close in sound one would think?

Is there any thing I should be concerned about regarding edges and beds and so forth? I'm aiming for a cutting sensitive drum so I'm running sharp edges on her. My biggest concern is that the snare wires will cut through the head at the beds. Any one had trouble with this type of snare systems?
Thanks.
T
Below is a pic of the strainer system.

Attachments

biggator

DFO Master
Reaction score
If I recall - extended snares don't use a snare bed. I'm sure someone else knows more, but I thought that was kind of the deal.

I have a supersensitive - and rebuilt a Tama Supermaple.. don't recall snare beds on either.

ToBBa

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply biggator.
Hmm.
The parallel action snares with pre-tensioned wires don't need beds.
But I'm pretty sure that this snare that will tension the wires against the head in a normal fashion will benefit from a snare bed.
The punch line on this design is the ability to use 16" wires on a 14" drum.
The strainer is the Gibraltar slingerleedy repro thingy, and the snare bridge was very hard to obtain, so I had to have someone make me some from scratch.

Phantomlimb777

Reaction score
My Tama mastercrafts have have extended wires and rollers, and they're my favorite strainer. In my experience, the drum is a little dryer and controlled when the wires are tight, and way more open when they're loose.

ToBBa

Reaction score
Phantomlimb777 said:
My Tama mastercrafts have have extended wires and rollers, and they're my favorite strainer. In my experience, the drum is a little dryer and controlled when the wires are tight, and way more open when they're loose.
That's good to hear. Do you find it more responsive/sensitive compared to snares with a "normal" strainer system?
Have you had any problem with the wires chewing through the head at the snare bed?
Thanks

biggator

DFO Master
Reaction score

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
ToBBa said:
Hi all.
I am in the process of finishing a snare with an extended snare system that I put together. I've never played a snare with extended wires, built it out of curiosity I guess.
I have played a lot of parallel action drums that are quite close in sound one would think?

Is there any thing I should be concerned about regarding edges and beds and so forth? I'm aiming for a cutting sensitive drum so I'm running sharp edges on her. My biggest concern is that the snare wires will cut through the head at the beds. Any one had trouble with this type of snare systems?
I have a couple Tama King Beat Imperialstars that use extended wiresets (with rollers) but the wires themselves don't really have enough pressure on the bottom head to cause any damage, and I've used the same resonant head for years on those drums.
These are both metal shells and I don't think either drum even has conventional snare beds.
I also have a WFL Buddy Rich Super Classic wood snare that uses extended wires on the strainer side only, as well as a Slingerland Artist that has extended wires on the butt side only.
None of the wiresets on these drums place enough pressure on the reso head to cause any damage that I've noticed, but it would come down to the the way you install the wires, I'd imagine. You want the wireset completely flat with no bends, so it gently kisses the resonant when engaged. Then add strainer tension in increments from there.