Experiences w/ Sabian Omni?

nk126

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
A long time ago I was shopping for a ride and tried a 21 or 22" (can't remember which) HHX Omni at a store and really liked it. But it was both way out of my price range and not right for what I thought I needed then.

Then, a few years back, I picked up a 19" HHX Omni somewhat on a whim (really good price) and totally fell in love with it. The sound isn't for everyone/all genres, but it's super musical to my ears, and can create a million sounds depending on where and how it's hit. Very shimmery ride played lightly, very fast and soft crash on the edge, killer bell.

More recently I came across a 22" for a really good price online and bought it without demoing first, thinking for some reason the sound would be consistent across the HHX Omni line. Well, of the online demos I could find of 22s, they actually did sound pretty consistent from cymbal to cymbal - at least so far as having that thin, shimmery outer section goes. Then I got mine in the mail and the outer, lathed section isn't as thin as I was expecting, and so the crash is a lot less shimmery than I was expecting based on the 19. As a traditional ride, the cymbal is quite nice for a drier stick sound (again, killer bell!), but the crash is more heavy than shimmery, and the whole crash/ride concept just doesn't come through that well.

So a few weeks ago I ordered another 22" just to compare in hand, since demoing in stores is hard these days. First one arrived with a big dent on the edge (incredibly poor packing). Sent it back and the replacement is pretty similar to the one I already had: Lathed section is a little thinner than mine, but still noticably thicker than my 19, and - more importantly - it's just missing that dual purpose vibe. Which is kind of the whole point.

I guess I have two questions for anyone out there who's played Omnis ...

1. Have you encountered the same thing, or are they generally pretty consistent and I just lost the mail-order raffle twice in a row?

2. Are there big differences between the AAX and HHX versions of the 21s/22s?

Wait, no, bonus third question:

Other cymbals - of any brand - you'd recommend for a drier stick sound with a shimmery crash (and a magic in-between zone!) in the 21/22" range?

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A long time ago I was shopping for a ride and tried a 21 or 22" (can't remember which) HHX Omni at a store and really liked it. But it was both way out of my price range and not right for what I thought I needed then.

Then, a few years back, I picked up a 19" HHX Omni somewhat on a whim (really good price) and totally fell in love with it. The sound isn't for everyone/all genres, but it's super musical to my ears, and can create a million sounds depending on where and how it's hit. Very shimmery ride played lightly, very fast and soft crash on the edge, killer bell.

More recently I came across a 22" for a really good price online and bought it without demoing first, thinking for some reason the sound would be consistent across the HHX Omni line. Well, of the online demos I could find of 22s, they actually did sound pretty consistent from cymbal to cymbal - at least so far as having that thin, shimmery outer section goes. Then I got mine in the mail and the outer, lathed section isn't as thin as I was expecting, and so the crash is a lot less shimmery than I was expecting based on the 19. As a traditional ride, the cymbal is quite nice for a drier stick sound (again, killer bell!), but the crash is more heavy than shimmery, and the whole crash/ride concept just doesn't come through that well.

So a few weeks ago I ordered another 22" just to compare in hand, since demoing in stores is hard these days. First one arrived with a big dent on the edge (incredibly poor packing). Sent it back and the replacement is pretty similar to the one I already had: Lathed section is a little thinner than mine, but still noticably thicker than my 19, and - more importantly - it's just missing that dual purpose vibe. Which is kind of the whole point.

I guess I have two questions for anyone out there who's played Omnis ...

1. Have you encountered the same thing, or are they generally pretty consistent and I just lost the mail-order raffle twice in a row?

2. Are there big differences between the AAX and HHX versions of the 21s/22s?

Wait, no, bonus third question:

Other cymbals - of any brand - you'd recommend for a drier stick sound with a shimmery crash (and a magic in-between zone!) in the 21/22" range?
I have no experience with Omni's but I'll chime in on a couple of things that you mentioned.
Anything AAX & HHX in comparison has a very different sound. AAX=bright and HHX=dark. The differences in size (21" & 22") will basically just change the pitch and can also give more or less wash depending on the thickness & weight of the cymbal. Have you checked out Sabian's 21" HHX 3- point cymbal? Another option is the 20" HH Duo ride:

nk126

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both interesting, I'll check 'em out. Thanks! The Duo looks *a lot* like an Omni.

Do Sabians generally vary a lot within a particular size/model? Seems like there's a decent weight range among the 21 HHX Omnis I've seen online, for instance. I'm sure there's already a thread or two about this topic ... (off to search)

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both interesting, I'll check 'em out. Thanks! The Duo looks *a lot* like an Omni.

Do Sabians generally vary a lot within a particular size/model? Seems like there's a decent weight range among the 21 HHX Omnis I've seen online, for instance. I'm sure there's already a thread or two about this topic ... (off to search)
AA very consistent, AAX, consistent, HHX almost consistent, HH not always consistent. That's the best way I can put it.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you're not limited to Sabians, look into the Zildjian Staccato ride, or the discontinued K Dark Thin ride, which the first is based on. I have the latter: while it's no thinner at the edge, it has a rather high crash with a drier ride sound.

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
Check out the 24" versions of the Omni. The greater size enhances both the ride and crash qualities. I have an early version of the 24 (AAX) and while I really like the cymbal, it doesn't work for me playing 2-up -- the bell is too much of a reach.