Experiences With Istanbul Mehmet Nostalgia Series?

dustjacket

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They made 50's and 70's versions. Seem like nice quality and affordable, but I'm only basing this off videos. Any hands on experience?

franke

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had (and later sold) a 22" 70's Nostalgia ride. If one has a very light touch, they might work for them, but if one doesn't, it's a crash cymbal with a long decay. In the demo you linked (of a 50's Nostalgia ride), it's quite easy to hear what I am referring to.

Gunnellett

Reaction score
I got a 22" 50's Sizzle yesterday and have not had a lot of time with it.

It is a beautiful looking cymbal! I love the simple logo. I don't clean my cymbals but I will probably keep this one clean.

I've only had about 10 minutes with the cymbal but I'll agree with franke about it requiring a lighter touch. It quickly builds a beautiful roar under the ping and can easily crash with a light touch but if you require a louder ping or crashing a ride it will probably get out of control on ya.

I'm going to take it to practice this weekend and see how it goes. It may not work for the blues/rock I play but it sounded so nicely in the videos and looks so classy I couldn't help but take a chance on it.

Last edited:

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m looking to find a couple of the Nostalgia crashes. I definitely like what I’ve seen in the videos. Hoping to find a mated pair.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a full set that I spent quite a bit of time putting together and I love the results! I use them when I'm looking for that classic "A" sound like in older R&B or blues. I have a larger set consisting of
15” Hats, a 16" and 18" crash and 20" & 22" 70's series rides (all Nostalgia series) and they work so well together, very full and rich with a warm soft body. Speaking strictly for me, I prefer them to true Zildjians as they combine the best of the older vintage A's and K's together.

I went through 6 or 7 rides in all the sizes from 20" to 24" in both the 50's and 70's models, but settled on the two 70's for my 20" and 22". Here is the 20" and 22" along with the 18" crash....

DSC_0073 copy.jpg

Though most of the time when I use this rig, it's a specific classic 50's to 70's sound I want and I just use the hats and the two rides as they ride and crash beautifully.

20170508_170458.jpg

Soulfinger

Reaction score
I had a set of 14" HH, 20" 50s Sizzle Ride an 20" 70s Ride. Beautiful cymbals with a classic sound, more Elvin Jones than Tony Williams though.
In the end I found the rides to be too washy for me (and I play with a pretty light touch). Maybe should have gone with 22"s. Still have the HH, it´s a nice, mellower alternative to New Beats.

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Would you consider the Nostalgia crashes somewhat low volume cymbals? Do they have enough range (loudness) to be used in something like a Steely Dan tribute band? The videos sound great, but I have not heard one in person. I’m looking at 17” and 18” crashes for this.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For me yes, I have used them in some pretty high energy opportunities and never felt they were lacking in projection, though they are not what I would call loud. I would say they are my mid level volume set (out of the 5 bags I currently own).

Latest posts