Experimenting with tom holders on my 60's Ludwig OBP set

Ludwigboy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have recently been experimenting with different tom holders on my 66 Ludwig OBP set and just picked up a Ludwig Rocker LR255STH single tom holder with the 9.5 mm L arm tom holder; fits great on my old dual tom mount and gives it a clean look and allows the tom to really move into different positions.
Looks good on the set and is very functional...

Attachments

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
If you'd like to get the tom further out from the center of the bass drum see if you can find a Ludwig extended ball arm (9.5mm). I have a couple that I use on sets that have a center post mount and it gets the tom where I want it despite the limitations of the center post.

psych redxtend.jpg

Myk

Reaction score
I must say I like the look of K.O.'s holder a lot more, not bulky looking, simple and streamlined

Ludwigboy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you'd like to get the tom further out from the center of the bass drum see if you can find a Ludwig extended ball arm (9.5mm). I have a couple that I use on sets that have a center post mount and it gets the tom where I want it despite the limitations of the center post.

View attachment 455445
Thanks for the advice . I will keep in mind. That extended arm does appear to put the tom in a similar position as a rail mount would... great option~!

Last edited:

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
I like these single arm mounts in the double tom holder. Very neat way of doing it. KO...I recall years ago you had a nice write up of the mod that you did on yours. I was thinking that the ball with the extended arm was a Gibraltar that fit into the existing Ludwig tom arm.

Mike

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I like these single arm mounts in the double tom holder. Very neat way of doing it. KO...I recall years ago you had a nice write up of the mod that you did on yours. I was thinking that the ball with the extended arm was a Gibraltar that fit into the existing Ludwig tom arm.

Mike
It's actually a Ludwig part but Ludwig and Gibraltar use the same ball size (as does Gretsch and DW).

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That's ingenious Kevin. I've found that most center-post single-tom mounts place the tom too close to the center of the bass drum for my liking. Having that extension puts it in a much more comfortable position, at least for me.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
That's ingenious Kevin. I've found that most center-post single-tom mounts place the tom too close to the center of the bass drum for my liking. Having that extension puts it in a much more comfortable position, at least for me.
Me too. I learned to play on sets with rail mounts. I want that tom about 6-7 inches off center. You can do that with this modern Ludwig arm or a vintage Slingerland Set-O-Matic which is another holder I like...for that same reason.

slingerland.jpg

Ludwigboy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It must be personal preference because I think it blends reasonably well (obviously not as nice as rail mount or a Swivomatic) and looks okay on the kit.
I sat behind the kit and find it reasonably fine to play but it is an adjustment from my rail mount, that is for sure.
I certainly appreciate all the comments and ideas though; great forum chat!

Attachments