Extra Stick Length

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used 7As for a long time and my last drum teacher said to use the largest stick I could comfortably hold for better rebound. I went to a 5B and then a Vic Firth AJ1, which has the 5B shaft with a narrower taper. I don't have to hit as hard; the stick does more of the work when it's bigger.

robthedrummer

Reaction score
Anyone tried the Vic Firth American Concept Freestyle 5As that are 17"?
I have a pair of those that I've been using in rehearsals some. I can't make up my mind on them. Sometimes I really like them, other times they don't feel right. Get a pair and try them. Definitely a different feel.

XVIII Airborne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of any sticks shorter than 16.5" and about .600 in diameter, so I try to stay in that range. I'll go up a bit sometimes if the feel is right, not too top heavy. I like the leverage a longer stick gives me, as long as the taper is longer, otherwise it gets front heavy and unwieldy, for me anyway. I loved the Regal Tip Brain Tichy model, but it's discontinued, so now I use VF X5B.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always favored long sticks. I used to laminate hickory and oak much like the Zildjian 'Mangini' model. Had my father crank me out 20-inch suckers back in the 70's and early 80's. Bastards were bullet-proof!

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
I’ve been playing long sticks for many years and settled on the Los Cabos 5A Intense, which are 16.5”. Love them. I could never go back to 16s.

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Anyone tried the Vic Firth American Concept Freestyle 5As that are 17"?
I saw Tommy Igoe using a Freestyle stick and started researching them. Vic Firth Freestyle 85A sticks are the ones I recently started using and really like them. Perfect stick for me.

I also use the VF Extreme sticks and a thin jazz stick by them that was about the same length (16.5" maybe) that feels great to me also.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
used to be a zildjian stick
still exists as:

16 1/8"
Maple
ES-1

ES (Ed Soph)-2 is same in Hickory

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I use Meinl Hybrid series in 5B and 5A which are 16-1/4” in length. Love them. Meinl also makes standard Long models which are 16-1/2” lengths and equally cool to play. The differences between the hybrids and long is both the 1/4” length and a teardrop tip versus a studio barrel tip. Germany made sticks are awesome!

mjohnson12

Reaction score
I got some Vic Firth Freestyle 5As in (which are 17" long) and tried them on a gig last week. My experience was mixed so far. I enjoyed the extra reach, getting to the ride bell or reaching for a crash cymbal but a couple of times I was choked too far back on the stick to play the snare correctly and that surprised me. This was only the first outing with the sticks so I'll keep using them and see how it goes. They do feel good and with the smaller tips than the sticks I usually use (747s) I got some different sounds.

mutant

Reaction score
I've been using 16" sticks for...well, forever. Lately, I realized that in certain musical situations I'm gravitating towards gripping the sticks further back. Gave me the idea that maybe I ought to reconsider, and try a longer stick, something that's never interested me before.

Surprise: I'm loving it. It's definitely helping me keep a loose natural grip with louder music. Any other fans out there? Any thoughts? I can't believe I'm only just discovering this option.

In situations where I've been using a normal Vic Firth 5A, I've been playing either the Stanton Moore or the X8D. I'm curious to try the David Garibaldis at some point too. I'm enjoying the X5As too, but they give me a little too much power for certain situations--I would definitely use them in a loud rock setting though.
For some reason 16.5 seems almost just a little too long to me. I am a longtime fan of the Vic Firth Jack Dejohnette stick. At 16.31" it is just a bit shorter than an X5A, but has the same diameter .565 medium taper and teardrop tip. I would like to find another stick at that exact same length 16.31, but possibly lighter and just a little thinner, at like .560 .563 maybe? I just tried the Vater Sugar Maple Super Jazz at 16.25" /.555 and its very nice indeed. I might also check out the VF MJC3 at 16.31" / .540, but that might be too thin for me.