header.nohb.html

Extreme/Progressive Metal - What Are You Listening To?

fenrir

Reaction score
I like a lot of stuff, but on heavy play at the moment is Gaahl's Wyrd - Ghosts Invited. Norwegian ex-black metal frontman with Gorgoroth. Gaahl's Wyrd much more 'musical' though - not particularly technical but some great tunes.

Wxmaggot

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a metal fan and buy my music from Bandcamp (too often haha). Tons of extreme metal that I listen to. What subgenre(s) are you most interested in bigbonzo?

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is Five Finger Death Punch in this genre? I like their covers of House of the Rising Sun, Blue on Black and Bad Company. All songs our band would play, but I like their take on them.

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ukrainian … They canceled their U.S. tour — including dates with Slipknot — because of the invasion/war.

Sings like an angel and her vicious growl makes my heart flutter.

I'll definitely check that out when I get home.

Slipknot is about as hardcore as I get and they're probably more mainstream than most. Never got past their first album though. I have Iowa and didn't care for it. I still listen to the former often.

The... over-rhetorical themes in hardcore metal kind of turn me off but there are niches of it out there that I can easily be attracted to.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I'll definitely check that out when I get home.

Slipknot is about as hardcore as I get and they're probably more mainstream than most. Never got past their first album though. I have Iowa and didn't care for it. I still listen to the former often.

The... over-rhetorical themes in hardcore metal kind of turn me off but there are niches of it out there that I can easily be attracted to.
The Sturgeon Principle — that 90% of everything is crap — is particularly true of Metal. You have sort through a bunch of duds to get quality … Same, for me, with horror movies, novels and carpenters.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ukrainian … They canceled their U.S. tour — including dates with Slipknot — because of the invasion/war.

Yeah man. !!! The only band that growls I like …..

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Sturgeon Principle — that 90% of everything is crap — is particularly true of Metal. You have sort through a bunch of duds to get quality … Same, for me, with horror movies, novels and carpenters.
That way for every genre and most other things ….

Wxmaggot

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, if we're talking progressive metal it's hard not to showcase the great Opeth. 2 distinct eras of this amazing band. Ghost Reveries is still my favorite Opeth album followed closely by Blackwater Park or Still Life. Anyway, from GR:

Then there's the newer "less harsh" Opeth. All clean vocals, jazzy and progressive, and with a beast of a drummer in Martin Axenrot (until parting ways last year):

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, if we're talking progressive metal it's hard not to showcase the great Opeth. 2 distinct eras of this amazing band. Ghost Reveries is still my favorite Opeth album followed closely by Blackwater Park or Still Life. Anyway, from GR:

Then there's the newer "less harsh" Opeth. All clean vocals, jazzy and progressive, and with a beast of a drummer in Martin Axenrot (until parting ways last year):

I had the misfortune/fortune to have seen their show in DC two days after Axenrot quit the band. Finding out at the last minute on Facebook was a disappointment, but it was still a good show. But not it was not what I paid for. Fortunately, Mastodon were the headliners and they delivered the goods.

Wxmaggot

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
https:
I had the misfortune/fortune to have seen their show in DC two days after Axenrot quit the band. Finding out at the last minute on Facebook was a disappointment, but it was still a good show. But not it was not what I paid for. Fortunately, Mastodon were the headliners and they delivered the goods.
Yes, Mastodon always delivers. Saw them with Clutch several years back. Both bands killed it. Hate you missed Axe. He is so underrated in my opinion. People who hate harsh vocals but love progressive rock should just give the last 4 Opeth albums a shot. Killer stuff, but I love it all

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score

That was pretty good, not what I expected. Very technical.