Extreme Sympathetic Snare Buzz With Every Drum

Beatnik

Johnson
Reaction score
That was my first thought if your satisfied with everything else soundwise, punch in that section with the snares off unless theres snare played then too.

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Might be time to crank up that reso head on the snare and tighten up on the wires. That would be my first move.
I initially kept pushing one slowly up and up after each try.
Bam. It broke.

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Can you record the drums in parts? Do the tom parts separately, with the snare off.
Thanks for your response.
I thought of that.
No.
Sixteenths RLRL going from
hi hats to snare to toms in a complex way. Its fast. Non stop.

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Try some different snare drums.

Ot try Noble and Cooley Cam Action snares. They're designed to reduce sympathetic snare buzz.
Thanks.
I did
3 maples
1 bronze
1 lm400

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
record a sound sample let's hear it

can you flick the snares off and on or is it constant thruout the piece; even with out hitting the toms

take the bottom heads off the toms

tape the snares- right across the middle

there's one more (well two) extreme solution- the Final Solution
Btw what are the dimensions and how many drums are in this Yamaha Maple Custom (not Absolute) set?

Last edited:

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
record a sound sample let's hear it

can you flick the snares off and on or is it constant thruout the piece; even with out hitting the toms
Every tom hit every bass hit. It lasts the duration of whichever tom or bass hit

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Have you tried taping the snares...underneath, across the middle..
strip of duct tape right over the strands

is anyone else on the session, noticing this problem? ...

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The kit isnt set up for recording a sample or experimenting right now-and wont be soon.
*Using my StarClassic maple instead of the MC has been working out good for the current session, as I mentioned in my 2nd post, the 3rd one of the thread.
Thanks for taking time to reply.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Problems like this usually don't last longer than a half hour; I wanted to know how many toms are across the front

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
try taking the bottom heads (not the snare duh) off.
Then...when that "doesn't work" you'll put the bottom heads back on and..
the problem will have magically disappeared...
(anyone wanna run a Bet? email me @...

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am very late to this thread, but as Camco was mentioned in relation to resonance, I thought I would share some thoughts having been playing 3 and 4 ply Jasper shell George Way and Camco, as well as 6 ply LA Camco for a while.

My sympathies are with those that deal with sympathetic snare buzz. I've had this happen across a wide range of drums, drum sizes, snares, heads, and so on.

In terms of the storied "resonance" of Camco shells, that all depends on the types of shells (3, 4, or 6 ply Jasper, or 6 ply Keller), the head selection, the snare wires, etc.

I have found that any of the Way/Camco shells can "sing," depending on the heads, and so on.

This is not suggesting that the Way/Oaklawn/Chanute drums sound the same as the LA period drums (they don't), but they all can SING in their own way.

Saying this, I have found all of the Way and Camco drums (no matter the era) very responsive to head changes. I have Remo Ambassadors on one Way kit, and they sound open and wonderful; I have Aquarian American Vintage heads on another Way kit, and they sound warm. All of them "sing," but the resonance and sound depends greatly on the drum heads used.

Heres's what I have found when dealing with Way and Camco drums, and finding sympathetic snare noise:

1. check the snare drum head (tightness and type)
2. check the snare wires (and tighten/adjust them if necessary)
3. adjust the rack tom tuning (as this often seems to be the drum that causes the most snare buzz). If all of your drums are causing buzz, then adjust the tuning of the kit down or up, or do the same to the snare).

This is all speculative, and may not work, as I haven't seen specific details about heads used/tried, as well as the method of tuning being used on the kit in the OP.

I totally get the frustration. It seems hard for all of us - at a distance - to give good advice when there are so many variables.

Best wishes as you continue to trouble-shoot the issue!

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
try taking the bottom heads (not the snare duh) off.
Then...when that "doesn't work" you'll put the bottom heads back on and..
the problem will have magically disappeared...
(anyone wanna run a Bet? email me @...
Yip, and I'm guessing you know the reason(s) why that works.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The reason is: you need help. When someone needs help. They try anything. Everything.
That and it's obvious
Yes sir. I'm really impressed with all the help, and advice people give on this site. The new studio answer was good too, but who knows how much $ has been sunk.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
maybe the micing is too close; can the engineer isolate which mic is the worst offender and shut it down; or something...in his arrangement of mic'ing..... before the band replaces you ; ) ( could happen..

Sounds like it's a small room is it in someones house? Like a home studio.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
maybe the micing is too close; can the engineer isolate which mic is the worst offender and shut it down; or something...in his arrangement of mic'ing..... before the band replaces you ; ) ( could happen..

Sounds like it's a small room is it in someones house? Like a home studio.
Yeah, I don't know the details of all that, but you can very well be correct.
I've had this problem before, but it was never the mechanics of the snare.
Snares will buzz like mad, when there's an octive, or a 4th interval, and it could be any combination of the heads.
I was able to really minimize mine once I changed up the tuning a bit.
I believe there's a YouTube vid that addresses the issue

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
you at this point don't need more youtube videos or more advice or more internet ; use your own brain and get it done.
I'm hard-core buddy ; ) Fix it.
You don't know the details of the mic ing situation? You can't see where the mics are placed? Fix it.
Ask or move the mics out . do some real world ( not internet) experimenting.
You have the luxury of time evidently in this situation; under other circumstances people could be on the phone calling out for another drummer (harsh but real

Last edited: