header.nohb.html

Facebook and Messenger - I am done

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I got hacked through Facebook Messenger - decided that enough was enough . I had not been on Facebook for about 6 months and only used messenger sparingly . So made the decision to just delete my account completely . I am tired of Facebook and far prefer Instagram for what social networking I do .

Reach out to me through here if you want .
thanks for the heads up.
FWIW I got hacked the other day too.
I reported it and all is well again.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might be better off with instagram rather than FB for what I use it for, but for some reason I just don't. I may look deeper into that.

esooy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
2FA, or 2 factor authentication and long convoluted passwords randomly generated by something like 1Password or LastPass, and don’t reuse any passwords. This will bring the chance of being hacked to nearly zero.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use Facebook to keep connection with old and new friends. And promoting gigs. Just like in life, there are ways of avoiding the crap. I don’t obsess with it. It’s cheap entertainment. And I just don’t get Instagram.

kzac

Reaction score
I learned a long time ago as a security management systems auditor, that placing data on sites such as facebook, is paramount to sending all your personal information to the local Sheriff and District Attorney.
I don't have such accounts, This is the only place where I can be personally contacted, so I have to be careful posting even here.
I know its mainly a brother/sister relationship of drummers, discussing specifically drumming topics, so its fairly safe..

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got hacked through Facebook Messenger - decided that enough was enough . I had not been on Facebook for about 6 months and only used messenger sparingly . So made the decision to just delete my account completely . I am tired of Facebook and far prefer Instagram for what social networking I do .

Reach out to me through here if you want .
Good for you! I've never had a Facefart, Tikturd, Twithead or a stinking Instagone account either. Just this one and one other.

Treviso1

DFO Star
Reaction score
It is strictly to keep in touch with friends around the globe for me. I don't have it connected to my phone or use messenger outside of the FB format.

GretschMan61

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
How did y'all get hacked?
No idea - just started getting friends reaching out telling me that they were getting messages from someone ghosting my account . It has happened on my email as well . Make sure you regularly change your passwords

WesChilton

Reaction score
I had a slightly different reason for leaving, but I am SO glad I did and I do not miss it one single bit. Everyone I truly care about I have an email and a phone number for and am all set.

owr

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry this happened to you. As you noted with your email being hacked, and others have mentioned, this probably has a lot more to do with your password management than anything Facebook specific. Given their size and resources, they are probably one of the more secure internet services but just get targeted a lot more actively. Not that I manage my own passwords that ideally but we all really need to step it up these days compared to what we did in years past. Long incomprehensible passwords managed through a central password application that you use a completely unique and never re-used password + 2-factor authentication to access seems to be the way to go these days.

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think that you can actually delete an account

If anyone here knows how that can be done please let me know. I "deleted" my account only to hear someone was posting stuff on the deleted account. So now I have to check it periodically to see if anything is put up on my name

coastie

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The only thing I really look at on FB is the drum groups. I’ve sold two sets on FB marketplace in the last few years for top $$. No fee. That’s likely to change soon.

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don't social media for a number of reasons. Risk and privacy are one. A general dislike for users of social media being the other.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think that you can actually delete an account

If anyone here knows how that can be done please let me know. I "deleted" my account only to hear someone was posting stuff on the deleted account. So now I have to check it periodically to see if anything is put up on my name
I first deactivated and then deleted my account. It’s kinda hidden in the settings and there’s a help article that tells you how to do it:

D

DBT

I gave Facebook mostly all bogus info on me. The only accurate info was my 1st name and email address. I sure as heck wasn't going to give them "me" when registering.
But no doubt, enterprising young sleuths can probably find all your key data just by an email address.
I got hacked this week on my Facebook account. When I tried to reactivate the account, Facebook wanted me to upload 2 forms of photo I.D. They said they would keep these photo I.D.'s for one year. After 13 years on Facebook, I am done.
They’re lying .

esooy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I use Facebook to keep connection with old and new friends. And promoting gigs. Just like in life, there are ways of avoiding the crap. I don’t obsess with it. It’s cheap entertainment. And I just don’t get Instagram.
Here’s your Instagram summary: it’s a lot like Facebook but with more duck lips, butt implants, men flexing, and square pictures.

gra7

Reaction score
i Just entirely deleted FB (and Twitter) as well. I only had it for messenger and the marketplace but the people you don’t know are either toxic or think FB is the new Ashley Maddison and friends means with benefits. I still have Instagram like the OP because many drum companies market to here now.