Faded Champagne or Faded Gold Sparkle???

Drumstyx7a

Team DFO
Reaction score
So here's the thing.

One of my students has a nice used Ludwig set. 20/12/14 originally with a rail and BD cymbal mount. Someone put a twin tom mount on it (Ludwig at least) and had two 12's on it for a while.

Question is ... I can't tell if it's a faded champagne sparkle or a faded gold sparkle. It appears champagne to me and I can't get it outside to get a good day light pic of the finish. It IS even though on the fade.

Anyone here have some pics of some faded champagne or faded gold to show???

Robb

Drumstyx7a

Team DFO
Reaction score
Removing one of the lug casings will probably give you a good idea of the original pre-fade color.
True, but I'd have to take one of the drums apart to do that and I don't have the time at the lesson to do that and get the drum back together again AND have a decent lesson. This kid is pretty good and when he gets going I hate to break his momentum.

Robb

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Very hard to say anything without some pics but I will say that Ludwig gold sparkle is almost orange in color and it would really have to fade a whole lot before it would even approach looking like the champagne sparkle. Also gold sparkle usually doesn't seem to fade that much unless it's exposed to the sun for a long time...and in those cases it would tend to not fade evenly (only those areas exposed directly to the sunlight would fade). I have a set of gold sparkles from 1962 and they have very little fade at all. I would suspect if it's a pale colored sparkle it would more likely be faded champagne or maybe even silver sparkle which sometimes does seem to have a tendency to "ginger ale" to an almost pale goldish tone as the outer layer of the wrap yellows over time.

Drumstyx7a

Team DFO
Reaction score
Thanks Kevin ... your description of faded gold helps a lot ... it helps ELIMINATE gold sparkle as a contender.

The kit is pretty much a ginger ale look and I'm thinking more champagne sparkle now. Friend of mine has really faded silver and it doesn't come close to this set.

Excellent set of Ludwigs too. Will sound a lot better with the new heads the student is getting for Christmas. BTW, a terminal acne Supra came with the kit along with 2 22" Zildjians ... one of which is an Isty K ... parents paid only $600 for everything.

Robb