Fake Spizzichinos on eBay

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If a world class cymbal smith who makes very similar "old style" cymbals was questioning a cymbal I owned....I'd be looking into it. And would assume the worst until proven genuine.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I also reached out to the seller, who quickly replied:

My Q: "Hi, is this a real Spizzichino made by the late Italian cymbal smith? Any idea of year or weigh? Any sound file? Thanks."

His A: "Sorry we know little about it. This was traded in by a guy who traded in a bunch of vintage Zildjians. Some of them are still on ebay, like the trans stamp and he had 2 1954 cymbals and a bunch of 60s and 70s Zildjian's. He didn't tell us much about any of them. Sorry we do not have sound files. The cymbal was very black when I got it. I used a crazy amount of groove juice to clean it to make it more presentable. Most of the top cleaned off but the bottom didn't come as clean. The sticking is very dry. It doesn't build up much. The weight is 1700. The lathing is very deep. Josh"

No comment about one of the prior posts other than yikes....not good!!!

mbettis

Reaction score
That's the same story they told last time they pulled this crap.

Without even considering the poor quality of the counterfeiting attempts, I find it impossible to believe that guys savvy enough to own Spizzichinos would also be stupid enough to trade them in for Saludas.

Matt

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Without even considering the poor quality of the counterfeiting attempts, I find it impossible to believe that guys savvy enough to own Spizzichinos would also be stupid enough to trade them in for Saludas.

Matt
EXCELLENT POINT.

b/o 402

Wacky old coot
Reaction score

Matt
Or let them get covered "black" in grime.
I wouldn't trust Saluda to tell the truth about any cymbal.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
bettis states on his website that roberto only made 3 20" "elvin clones, while ebay has featured >3 at various (non-20") diameters
Just for interest, I've recorded 3 Elvin Clone sales (20") one in 2016, one in 2017, one in 2018. More details are available if somebody is interested. Some sellers claim an Elvin model (or some other specific model) when there isn't any actual evidence for this. It makes studying sales info tricky because I can't know whether the price somebody paid for a cymbal was based on believing the cymbal was the model claimed. This is even more so for the Saludachinos where we can't peer into the mind of the buyer and know how familiar they are with Don Roberto's work and how that factored into their purchase price. Did the buyers think they were genuine? :dontknow:

Meanwhile, here is a red ink SPIZZ which does have provenance as a cymbal Roberto signed for Elvin.

This sort of red SPIZZ ink is something I've documented from several cymbals. It is earlier than the cymbals with a pressed in die stamp. Also interesting is that the font used for the red SPIZZ ink is the same font chosen by Wuhan (who were distributed in the US by Universal Percussion) and the same font chosen for the 2016 faux SPIZZ® cymbals made by Agean which were also a Universal Percussion project. Spot the common element. :glasses8:

My work on a more complete timeline for Roberto's work is still in progress but I hope a preliminary version will be up pretty soon on

I've been in contact with the Ruben Spizzichino and the family are going to help out with my preliminary version to make sure everything is as accurate as we can make it.

And if you want to buy some genuine new Roberto Spizzichino cymbals with the very best provenance the family are currenly selling a few:

Download links for the video/audio files of the cymbals are here

20" - https://mega.nz/#F!33A33S5S!kXaOAU5sNuQAM3ghEtjGsA
18" - https://mega.nz/#F!6uJ1QAja!2GvNC2p2j8WkdMqnhpQEVA

The prices are calculated at 100€ x Inch + VAT. PM me if you would like contact details for the Spizzichino family.