"Fall" jazz ride cymbals

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
When it comes to jazz, I can't decide which sounds I like best; sometimes I like bright sounds or flats. As days get shorter though, I sometimes tend toward slightly darker, moodier sounds, think TW on the Miles tune of the same name (w /Miles). For lack of an actual gig/rehearsal, I made a play-along playlist of some of my rides for that kind of sound. The recording might be a bit up-close/piercing/metallic as the mic was on the audience side of the (tilted) cymbals.

In a recent thread about Agop Sig mediums, I mentioned the newer ones sound more even to me and seem to crash more easily. The 2640g TW, although not that recent, has that sweeter/more crashable sound, compared to the 2003 Sig and the 2550g TW from 2006/7; those sound rather gnarly in comparison.

Do you choose different cymbals for different moods?

https://soundcloud.com/seb234%2Fsets%2Fride-cymbals

marc3k

Reaction score
Man they all sound great - it's probaly your "touch"! Although I only have Agop's, I like that first ride the best I think! How many rivets are in there?

I love that you record from the audience side. How far away is the microphone and around what height?
I always place a mic for reference on the audience side - probably around 2m from the kit, around ear-level.

tbird8450

Reaction score

Anyway, yes, I can be pretty moody and that certainly translates to cymbal selection. I have a feeling that my dealers like this far more than my wife does.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Man they all sound great - it's probaly your "touch"! Although I only have Agop's, I like that first ride the best I think! How many rivets are in there?

I love that you record from the audience side. How far away is the microphone and around what height?
I always place a mic for reference on the audience side - probably around 2m from the kit, around ear-level.
Thanks! The first one is quite a bit thinner than the others, it currently has two rivets; Dave had drilled it for three.
The mic (Zoom H6 x/y) was pretty close, more like a ride spot mic from underneath than a front-of-kit mic.
I used a lower-sounding 5A stick to bring out some lower partials, to me this is part of that "moody" sound. Other sticks I tried sounded massively different. This goes for different mic positions as well.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice playing Seb.

I can't figure out what I like either, that's why I'm afraid to pull the trigger on Paiste Masters or maybe Keropes, because my moods change all the time.

Love that first Collingwood though. Sounds papery thin and the rivets add just the right sizzle. Nice!

IJR

Reaction score
Nice collection!

I go through phases and match to what music I am playing.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Being moody is a requirement of having your cymbalholic card…You still have yours, ya? ;)

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me? nope is fading...wrinkled gotten wet many times... like that YMCA card you had as a Kid.. ; _
I can barely use the old Ks anymore that's how complete the Reformation has become.
"They don' match" There . I said. it. "They weren't supposed to from the start"

Last chance is 1 old K and 1 old K hi hat
see what I'm saying? there's Turkish cymbals now that blend as sets Old Ks didn't know wtf ("you mean not using as pairs??" ) you're talking about.
Either that or 20 years burned out of the struggle

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
When it comes to jazz, I can't decide which sounds I like best; sometimes I like bright sounds or flats. As days get shorter though, I sometimes tend toward slightly darker, moodier sounds, think TW on the Miles tune of the same name (w /Miles). For lack of an actual gig/rehearsal, I made a play-along playlist of some of my rides for that kind of sound. The recording might be a bit up-close/piercing/metallic as the mic was on the audience side of the (tilted) cymbals.

In a recent thread about Agop Sig mediums, I mentioned the newer ones sound more even to me and seem to crash more easily. The 2640g TW, although not that recent, has that sweeter/more crashable sound, compared to the 2003 Sig and the 2550g TW from 2006/7; those sound rather gnarly in comparison.

Do you choose different cymbals for different moods?

https://soundcloud.com/seb234%2Fsets%2Fride-cymbals
Hey Seb, From a quick listen, I like the first cymbal best for small group jazz. Having said that, they all are a bit more pingy than I prefer, but, the first cymbal sounded a bit more complex than the others.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nice cymbals; nice playing.
Really sounds like you respect and appreciate what you have.

The way some players might switch their cymbals with the seasons… I do that with tea.

Summer: green such as Sencha
Fall: Oolong such as Ti Quan Yin
Winter: Black such as Irish Breakfast
Spring: Darjeelings then into greens like Lung Ching

The morning after a Friday night gig:
Pu Erh. It is reported to have medicinal properties.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Me? nope is fading...wrinkled gotten wet many times... like that YMCA card you had as a Kid.. ; _
I can barely use the old Ks anymore that's how complete the Reformation has become.
"They don' match" There . I said. it. "They weren't supposed to from the start"

Last chance is 1 old K and 1 old K hi hat
see what I'm saying? there's Turkish cymbals now that blend as sets Old Ks didn't know wtf ("you mean not using as pairs??" ) you're talking about.
Either that or 20 years burned out of the struggle
The reformation? Haha! What next, trading in your Jasper/Broadcasters for Classic Maples?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love my TW and SE Jazz rides, but that Collingwood is lighter sounding and like a nice fall breeze....just right....

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could deal with either of the two TW's the Collingwood I felt for myself almost too low

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments everybody! I can relate to all the comments including too low-pitched or pingy, that's why I also have other cymbals... That said, I think the mic position creates a really direct sound; on some speakers it might sound grating - think first row, sitting right in front/under the ride.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
It's all Kenny Barron and Ron Carter, from the Aebersold "Masters of Time" play-along, track 5/18 (can you guess the drummer from the sample audio?)

hawker

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Bro...it coud me my 72 year old ears....but the similarity between all of these is striking. Yep, I can hear that #1 is a bit lighter, but I think I prefer #3 and #4. This is with very high quality headphones and also for grins..the speakers in my MacBook Air. But really....they all sound very close and not a clunker among them. What did blow me away was the piano and bass player. I kept thinking "this is one heck of a trio, great players!" Then I saw the above post #17 and figured out why everyone was killing it. Including yourself See. :)

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I do like having some ride options, but nothing too crazy. They’re Zildjians (of course) and they each sound different. For me, it mainly comes down to sizes and weights. That’s how I think of it. Mediums, medium thins, heavy. I have a setup for jazz that I basically stick with, but I switch out more for all else. In fact, every ride I own is still at least jazzy to some extent…so I could use any of them in a jazz trio. But I could use them in more contemporary settings.

I notice guys like Peter Erskine and Vinnie will change their rides up. So if they can, so can I!

Last edited:

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Bro...it coud me my 72 year old ears....but the similarity between all of these is striking.
Thanks for the kind comment.
They are indeed similar. I assume others would have long sold one or more of these, that's just me. Then again, that mic position might make them sound more similar than they might from another angle/distance. Not to mention feel: the Collingwood can be crashed full-on and it feels really nice; with the heavy Sig, I usually avoid edge crashes altogether.

squidart

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lovely playing! I like to have 3 pies to ride on jazz gigs that are crashable or at least shankable. Something for the mood of the tune as opposed to my mood (which can be iffy!). Brighter, pingier for songs in the key of happy as above, a little thinner with dirt for the darker tunes etc.
All of those work with your touch though. :)