FALLING BACK IN LOVE WITH MY OLD KIT

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Falling in love again with my Sonors, which became sidelined for a few years after I got my new Classic Maples.

They’d been in exile in an old bandmate’a basement, but I picked them up today: Force 3K kit in Scandi birch with matching snare. I want to say from the late 80’s or early 90’s(?)

I know they aren’t anything fancy, just a midline kit, and not the most figured veneer, but German made and stalwart drums they are, with that reassuring birch equalization.

We have some history. This was the kit I played for eight years in what, for me, as an amateur, I consider my first serious band: All original songs so my parts were all mine, and gigs in clubs that had real sound systems with a guy manning the board and —wow!—monitors and stage lights. Sometimes we had a horn section. We recorded in a studio. Thrice. All with those drums.

Love the sound. Love the build. Love the look. All over again.

Perhaps you have a kit where that’s happened.

5D15D602-FFF6-47F4-A353-408F4E3C39E8.jpeg
1B4B7741-6F7D-41A7-9CA9-9DFEE609A5A6.jpeg

Attachments

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool story!

Nothing wrong with getting nostalgic over a kit that has such good memories attached to it. But that's one of the reasons I don't want to many kits lying around, they get neglected and unused. Glad you put her back in the rotation.

bolweevil

DFO Master
Reaction score
I totally get where you are coming from. I've only been on three what I would call 'real studio albums' and it's hard for me to part with anything I used on those recordings. I'd hate to hear a well-recorded version of a piece of gear, pine nostalgically for it, and no longer have it! I have parted with a couple of items, but not many, of this kind.

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Falling in love again with my Sonors, which became sidelined for a few years after I got my new Classic Maples.

They’d been in exile in an old bandmate’a basement, but I picked them up today: Force 3K kit in Scandi birch with matching snare. I want to say from the late 80’s or early 90’s(?)

I know they aren’t anything fancy, just a midline kit, and not the most figured veneer, but German made and stalwart drums they are, with that reassuring birch equalization.

We have some history. This was the kit I played for eight years in what, for me, as an amateur, I consider my first serious band: All original songs so my parts were all mine, and gigs in clubs that had real sound systems with a guy manning the board and —wow!—monitors and stage lights. Sometimes we had a horn section. We recorded in a studio. Thrice. All with those drums.

View attachment 452617 View attachment 452619
Wow! Beautiful drums. Look top of the line.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, all!

Jazzhead, regarding sizes, they are a 6.5 snare, 16x20 bass, 9x10 and 12x14 toms. I put a cradle on the 14 hanger to turn it into a floor tom.

Got the bass and toms together used, and I think maybe 12 and/or 13 toms somehow got lost along the way. The spread between a 10 and 14 has been vetted on the forum, and in this case, I am a fan.

Took me a while to hunt down a snare, an exercise in patience.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frank, for me, thick, but perhaps for many “medium”. I think these concepts are fluid between manufacturers and trends. But these are the thickest shells I’ve ever owned. These drums give so much more tone heft and definition than my Ludwigs.

The bass——so heavy. I realize the long lugs add weight but that thing is absolutely Teutonic.

When I looked at the shells through the clear resos the other day, I was surprised at how under-sized they looked.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score

View attachment 452617 View attachment 452619
Interesting post....I find I'm enjoying my Sonor FC kit more than my Classic Maple's, too.......

Zildjian_K_20LightFlatRide2.JPG

Last edited: