Famous Artist you really do not like

Grooovepig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For all of the accolades and terms like musical genius thrown his way; I find most of Prince's commercial work to be dreadful. No doubt he was a talented cat. But his music just seems to be lowest common denominator of a musical concept.

There are notable exceptions though: Diamonds and Pearls, Morning Papers, Sexy MF, etc.

Plus he was a little whiny diva....

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
I assume the term “Artist” is broad. Actors don’t really bother me. For the most part I don’t pay them any mind. Though, I would be perfectly happy if stars like Walhberg, Damon and Aflect never rose to prominence. Then I would not have to suffer from all these fools from the lesser fiefdom strutting around parroting “Wicked” and asking me if I like apples when I had never heard them utter the phrase before.

It was a tiresome repeat of the personality mirroring phenomenon From when Goodfellas came out and now, all of the sudden, New Englanders all over are talking in fake Italian accents, smoking cigars and asking if you want to get some Gabbagol. Weak minded fools.

Perhaps Basquiat, to me there is no greater example in the art world of insipid nonsense rising to prominence. It is like the scribbling of a disturbed adolescent. How you go from Wyeth to Basquiat in such order could only be the work of the Nihilists

EDD2105A-4A41-4287-B7A4-17800369AE18.jpeg

B69CC53B-7503-4B12-A58D-47B82C9F8551.jpeg

speady1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
David Lee Roth. Great frontman, horrible singer. Possibly the worst singer in the history of rock music.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Bob Dylan, who has written arguably some of the greatest songs ever written. His voice? YIKES! And you know, I’m a huge Petty guy.

Last edited:

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
For all of the accolades and terms like musical genius thrown his way; I find most of Prince's commercial work to be dreadful. No doubt he was a talented cat. But his music just seems to be lowest common denominator of a musical concept.

There are notable exceptions though: Diamonds and Pearls, Morning Papers, Sexy MF, etc.

At 5’3” he played football, basketball and baseball in high school. Pretty gutsy!

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Oh what the heck... if you can’t kill a few sacred cows among friends, where can you do it? Like several others have stated, I don't pay much attention to celebs or artist in general, I’m just not that invested in the process I suppose. Overall, I don't care what an artist has to say to me about political or social issues, I find that whole platform disingenuous and tiresome so I truly just ignore all of it.

Musically, there are genres, bands or singers that have no appeal to me for one reason or another, but again, I just move on and those don't even show up on my radar. If you have nothing to offer that appeals to me musically, then I pay no attention and move on. But I do have one band that I never could get my head around… and If the following opinion does not get me banned it will at the very least get me ostracized on this particularly board...

But I don’t get the Rolling Stones. I just don’t see the appeal that the whole world has had with them for almost 60 years. I suppose they never connected to me but I am lost on this one. I have done work for Charlie and own his solo jazz disc but never felt the appeal to own an actual Stones record. SO while the rest of the world has rocked along with them for almost 7 decades, I have just never figured out why!

OK, let the hate begin! LOL

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
kayne west
I'm not sure this one needs to be mentioned. First of all the post was about artists and I'm not sure he qualifies. Second of all I just figured the mention of him was already a given. No need to waste your pick on him... Lol

KevinD

Reaction score

Kind of interesting that you bring that up, a guitar player friend of mine says Prince had some GREAT material, BUT he put out about a million songs... a lot of that was pretty mediocre, bringing his overall batting average down.

Personally, I thought he was a really interesting writer (and under-appreciated for his guitar playing). I believe I paid the most attention to Prince when the great John Blackwell was playing drums for him..after that not so much.

KevinD

Reaction score
I can't say I "dislike" like them in any personal sense, but I never saw/heard anything in R.E.M that did it for me, in fact I usually turn it off when it comes on.

But then again, I don't what I'm talking about when it comes to predicting the next big thing in music.

in about 87-88 I saw 10,000 Maniacs at The Haunt in Ithaca NY... (before they broke big) I just didn't see what the buzz was about and remember telling someone "I just don't see them making it big". ...Oh well.

AND around the same time I saw a band up there called "Royal Crescent Mob" (kind of the like the Chili Peppers but w better overall writing and hooks) and thought "These guys are going to be big..."
Very good drummer though.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Funny thing is, if Prince wasn't so obsessed with being a pop star, he could have been considered the greatest guitar player of his generation. The guy could flat out play!

Clapton was once asked, what's it like to be the greatest guitar player, and he said, ask Prince. High praise.

Latest posts