Fans of the crash of doom

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Has anyone seen or owned one of these? Very cool cymbal a lot is crash of doom looks to it and has that kinda sound.

Last edited:

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Oooh I got the shakey hands for that one. Hmm..
Right? It’s on reverb. 249$ if I had the extra coin I would get it for sure. This is what zildjian should of done with the raw blanks they offered.

UptownShakedown

Reaction score
I have a crash of doom and love it. It has a bit longer decay than what you posted, which is definitely cool. COD isnt as explosive either with more a low wash.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a crash of doom and love it. It has a bit longer decay than what you posted, which is definitely cool. COD isnt as explosive either with more a low wash.
Same I have the 22 and 20 gonna try and add a 18 and 24. This masterworks is a cool take on it.

Tilter

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had four Dooms of varying weight come and go since they were released. One was fantastic, the others left me wanting. Based on audio alone, these Masterwork blanks are everything I always wanted out of a COD.

If you buy directly from Gerry's site (Hazelshould) you'll save a 20 on the cymbal and a couple bucks on the shipping. Good guy to deal with, too

Edit to add: Here's the other Masterwork blank that he had. A little heavier at 1648g.

Last edited:

Paaaaaatina

Reaction score
I had an 18” zildjian COD. I’d recommend going bigger and on the thin side.

Redfern

Reaction score
I saw it and love the thing! Big want! I also, for some strange reason am interested in the 20” Zil. Cluster Crash...sounds like a less gongy COD

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a 20" COD.....it was not as trashy and actually sounded nice under the stick. Sold it looking for a 22 but never found one. This one seems very impractical for me.

JazzyJeff

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I own the 18”, 20” and 22” CODs. They are all cool and compliment each other well. That said, the 20” is the sweet spot.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Zildjian could easily do this with the blanks
They are, the FX Raw crashes

Which is what the Masterwork in the video sounds much closer to, IMO (vs the Crash of Doom)

UptownShakedown

Reaction score
I saw it and love the thing! Big want! I also, for some strange reason am interested in the 20” Zil. Cluster Crash...sounds like a less gongy COD
Cluster crash is killer. I was choosing between that and the 20 Sweet crash and went home with the sweet. I think I made the wrong choice :(

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They are, the FX Raw crashes

Which is what the Masterwork in the video sounds much closer to, IMO (vs the Crash of Doom)
See for me it doesn’t sound like the raw blanks zildjian is doing. I hear a more profound trashy tone out of the masterwork then the concept raws. And the volume seems to be louder on the masterworks. At least to my ears. The concept raws are a raw blank with a bell and hole. The cod I’m pretty sure is stamped and I’m betting the masterwork is as well. Concept has cracks, not even round. So it’s two completely different cymbals. Where as the masterworks looks like a raw crash of doom.

Last edited:

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I own the 18”, 20” and 22” CODs. They are all cool and compliment each other well. That said, the 20” is the sweet spot.
I will someday add the 18 and the 24. Would love to zildjian do a complete cod line minus hats, that would be weird?

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
This is exactly what I told Paul Francis they should do with the raw crashes. These sound amazing. My Zildjian raw crash went back to Zildjian the day after I got it. Way too heavy, and cracked/split ends.

The 22" cod I had was way too heavy to crash much. Seems they're getting back on the heavy side. The Cluster crashes are nice. I've got a 20 and love it!