header.nohb.html

Fans of the crash of doom

UptownShakedown

Reaction score
The old Bos Stanton Trash Crash is excellent too.
Glad someone brought this up. This is a cool cymbal, sometimes wonder if it serves more as an FX cymbal but how Stanton brings it into his smaller kit is very hip.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks for this thread! I just picked up the latest 22" Masterworks Blank Hazelshould had up. It seems like everything I want in one of these kind of cymbals.

The Zildjian dooms are still a little heavy, even though I LOVE my 20" COD. Can't wait to try this Masterworks out!

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
D
Thanks for this thread! I just picked up the latest 22" Masterworks Blank Hazelshould had up. It seems like everything I want in one of these kind of cymbals.

The Zildjian dooms are still a little heavy, even though I LOVE my 20" COD. Can't wait to try this Masterworks out!
Def let us know maybe put up a video.

Reaction score
I had the 18, 20, and 22

The 18 was the best of the three.

1630868725030.png

The 20 had just not enough volume, and the 22 a great crash ride (mine was quite thin)

Here are the 18'' and 22''.

Last edited:

larold

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Some other alternatives to a Crash of Doom are a thin-to-medium thin Dream Bliss or an Agop Xist Dry Dark crash. I've had both. Both were trashier than the CoD I once had, but none were as trashy as my 20.5" Wuhan Spizz. Most Wuhan Spizzes are heavy manhole covers, but I was lucky enough to get one that's washy and crashable.

Captured Saint

Reaction score
Some other alternatives to a Crash of Doom are a thin-to-medium thin Dream Bliss or an Agop Xist Dry Dark crash. I've had both. Both were trashier than the CoD I once had, but none were as trashy as my 20.5" Wuhan Spizz. Most Wuhan Spizzes are heavy manhole covers, but I was lucky enough to get one that's washy and crashable.
Has anyone seen or owned one of these? Very cool cymbal a lot is crash of doom looks to it and has that kinda sound.

did Charlie Watts have one in latter years to his left ? he always seemed to prefer trashier type cymbals.

HalldorL

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had an 18” and really loved it until I used it live. It was VERY low volume and kinda unusable except for low volume jazz gigs, which I hardly ever do. But as I said, playing around the kit on my own it was really nice.

Rufus T Firefly

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had an 18” and really loved it until I used it live. It was VERY low volume and kinda unusable except for low volume jazz gigs, which I hardly ever do. But as I said, playing around the kit on my own it was really nice.
I found the same thing with the volume on my 20" COD. Love the sound but to use it live I would have to dedicate another mic. It doesn't cut through enough to match the rest of my cymbals through the overheads.

rdumas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 20" COD as well as Dream Bliss and Agop Dry Darks. I think its a fair comparison at least as cousins. I find the COD is more mellow than the Agop Dry Dark...the COD swells where the Agop DD shatters and is more trashy. The other reason I appreciate your comparison is that I have found the COD to pair magically with my Vintage Bliss cymbals.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Got to use my 22" Masterworks Blank this weekend at a gig. Absolutely incredible cymbal, but pretty shocked at how low volume and instant it was. It could have just been because I had in ears in with no drums running through, only our keys player and vocals, but I still really like this thing.

Extremely, extremely thin. I've been going through a lot of cymbals in this spot of really trashy crash.

So far, this Masterworks blank, 20" Zildjian efx crash, and 22" K custom special dry fits the best so far.

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Got to use my 22" Masterworks Blank this weekend at a gig. Absolutely incredible cymbal, but pretty shocked at how low volume and instant it was. It could have just been because I had in ears in with no drums running through, only our keys player and vocals, but I still really like this thing.

Extremely, extremely thin. I've been going through a lot of cymbals in this spot of really trashy crash.

So far, this Masterworks blank, 20" Zildjian efx crash, and 22" K custom special dry fits the best so far.
I was wondering how loud they really are. I got rid of my cods because I didn’t think they were loud at all.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was wondering how loud they really are. I got rid of my cods because I didn’t think they were loud at all.

I think as far as cut, these Masterworks definitely do better. They just don't have any sustain in a band setting. Almost immediate decay.

My COD is very low volume and blends more than anything. I wish Zildjian would make them just a little bit lighter, especially the 22s. It seems Zildjian doesn't really have any really big, thin crashes. They discontinued the 22" special dry almost immediately and it, to me, is the best of the bunch.

I think in this spot, this Masterworks, or my 22" Dream Bliss Crash/Ride are my 3 favorite currently.

I always forget about my 22" Dream, but it's honestly one of the best, even trashy, cymbals I own!

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think as far as cut, these Masterworks definitely do better. They just don't have any sustain in a band setting. Almost immediate decay.

My COD is very low volume and blends more than anything. I wish Zildjian would make them just a little bit lighter, especially the 22s. It seems Zildjian doesn't really have any really big, thin crashes. They discontinued the 22" special dry almost immediately and it, to me, is the best of the bunch.

I think in this spot, this Masterworks, or my 22" Dream Bliss Crash/Ride are my 3 favorite currently.

I always forget about my 22" Dream, but it's honestly one of the best, even trashy, cymbals I own!
Ya Ive noticed a trend with them being a lot quieter then most.