Father passed away; found CG Conn Ltd Victor Model 12911 in a box

iwclmc

Reaction score
Good morning. Hoping that someone might be able to help or point me in the right direction. My father passed away recently and I found a CG Conn Ltd Victor Model in a box. From the photos you'll note it appears (though I'm not a musician) that the heads and snare strands are very old if not the original. I would like to know if this was kept by my father (who was a musician though never spoke of it) as it was intrinsically valuable or if it simply had a personal attachment for him. Thanks for any and all assistance.
IMG_4872.jpg
IMG_4873.jpg
IMG_4872.jpg IMG_4873.jpg

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Put in on ebay and find out, because we know that's where its headed.

iwclmc

Reaction score
Looks pretty interesting; what's it Say around the Hoop there..
The only markings on the drum are the two photos. Victor Model and the CG Conn Ltd and serial number. The drum is a bit of an anomaly as my Dad didn't keep anything so not even sure it was his or perhaps his father's drum. Trying to find out as much as I can before refirb or donating it to the local HS (might be a nice add to their trophy case; DCI is big in TX). Thanks again for reaching out.

kdgrissom

Reaction score
I see a lot of the Leedy design features here, so I'm going to suggest that this drum was actually made from parts provided by the Leedy Drum company (Indianapolis) and Conn assembled the drum. probably from early 1920's.

A.TomicMorganic

Reaction score
I see a lot of the Leedy design features here, so I'm going to suggest that this drum was actually made from parts provided by the Leedy Drum company (Indianapolis) and Conn assembled the drum. probably from early 1920's.
That is what I think too. Later 20s would have four lug screws.

iwclmc

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's thoughts; greatly appreciated. If that old then it's likely my Grandfather or Great Grandfather's drum. Both were also musicians and fought in the WWs. Possibly a part of the story worth investigating more.

Rock Salad

Reaction score
Cool mystery. Strange how relationships can continue to grow even after the person is gone. Condolences

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your dad.

What do you plan to do with the drum?

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

iwclmc

Reaction score
That's a cool drum. Could you post a picture of the whole drum?
Attached are additional photos per your request. Didn't notice the marking on the drum head until I got the phone close; amazing what the iPhone picks up that the eye can't easily see. Thanks in advance for any context or guidance.

Attachments

Latest posts