Fave batter head for snare drums

Jhouse86

Reaction score
Remo coated vintage emperor is my new favorite on the ol' black beauty.
Remo coated cs reverse dot on the supraphonic.
Remo coated ambassador on the N&C beech.
Ambassador hazy snare side for all of them.

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Tried a few and still only like coated Ambs. G1 isn’t bad either but I like how the Amb sounds with brushes better. That said, I don’t hate others…I just like what I like.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remo coated CS - usually takes away just enough ring and controls/focuses the sound a bit (like it says on the tin)

Remo coated ambassador - if a snare doesn't sound good with one I don't want it

Aquarian texture coated - slightly different flavor and tone of ambassador

Remo PS 77 - didn't think I'd like it but it's really good for rock, surprisingly sensitive

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ambassador is showing up a lot, as is Emperor and UV1, along with the Aquarian reverse dot. A couple of votes for the symphonic heads, as well. This has been interesting thus far. Keep your answers coming!

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Calfskin batter (from Stern Tanning) and Remo Ambassador snare-side.

*IF* I had: a) the money, and b) the wherewithal to spend 15 minutes tweaking up the tuning on a 7-drum drumset every time I sat down to play it I'd switch to calfskin batters on the entire set, but I'm too old for that so I use Remo Fiberskyn FDs on the toms and Fiberskyn PS3 Ambassadors on the bass drums. Not quite calfskin but close enough for jazz (or rock'n'roll).

Philaiy9

Reaction score
Aquarian Modern Vintage Medium. These work well on my two snares, which are both aluminum. I don't really know how well they emulate calf but I like how they cut out some of the high-pitched ring. Plus, they look cool. I've heard that these heads are essentially Texture Coateds that have been coated twice.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ambassador is showing up a lot, as is Emperor and UV1, along with the Aquarian reverse dot. A couple of votes for the symphonic heads, as well. This has been interesting thus far. Keep your answers coming!
Did you mean Remo rev dot?

BruceOrl

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW, on my DW rolled Aluminum I like a Evans Genera Vented Dry, while its big sister, a 6 1/2 maple DW sounds great with a coated Emperor.

My newest, a brass LB401 is singing after I replaced the stock heavy duty Weathermaster with an Ambassador.

All my reso's are either Remo or DW stock.

-Bruce

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like most of them on the right drum in the right application. Diplomat to hydraulic all do something I like. Every time I acquire a new snare though it gets a well used coated ambassador for a baseline sound to tweek from. Usually ambassador hazy on shallow snares and diplomat on deep ones

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
varatrodder mentioned the 10 mil single ply Evans Strata 1000. I'm using that and the 7.5 mil single ply Strata 700. These are orchestral takes on replicating calfskin heads. I don't need gel or tape with either.
They're great heads. Normally I really dislike Evans heads, but these are great. I ended up buying a set of them for the toms on my walnut stave kit, paired with a Remo Renaissance on the bass drum.