header.nohb.html

Fave batter head for snare drums

Commodore

Reaction score
varatrodder mentioned the 10 mil single ply Evans Strata 1000. I'm using that and the 7.5 mil single ply Strata 700. These are orchestral takes on replicating calfskin heads. I don't need gel or tape with either.
I'm starting these: Evans Strata 1000 and Strata 300 snare side ...on just about everything. Going to Strata 1000 Staccato (2" ply ring) and Strata 700 Staccato, as needed...

Dumpy is not allowed to comment! ;)

Last edited:

James Walker

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Single-ply coated is my default, usually in this order of preference:

1) Remo Ambassador
2) Aquarian Texture Coated
3) Evans G1 (or whatever their single-ply coated is called now - I haven't bought an Evans head in some time.)

If I can't get a snare drum to be happy with one of those, then I'll try a reverse dot or a two-ply coated.

I have to say, however, that if the Aquarian "New Orleans Special" had a surface that was even moderately friendly to brushes, it would be on all of my drum set snare drums.

288983568_10224696520152052_8280198867948891081_n.jpg

Ptrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Evans Coated Power Center Reverse Dot. I dig the Remo coated CS dot and Aquarian Power dot, but the Evans seems to tune up so much faster, without a break in period.

Northamusi

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evans Genera HD (not dry) on the batter side has been working well on most of my snare drums. My Taye brass snare came with a Dynaton coated snare and I hated it.

becken

Reaction score
PinStripes on batter heads(toms), clear Ambassadors on resos, Coated Ambassador on snare batters, clear Ambassadors on snare sides.

Last edited:

CC Cirillo

DFO Master
Reaction score
Vintage Ambassador—sort of like a regular Ambassador with a bit of EQ. Just an all around great head.

Ambassador X— darkens a brass drum slightly without impeding the musicality.

Controlled Sound Black Dot, Underneath. Backbeat thickener. Puts the pH in pHatt.

Quai34

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I cannot say really what is my favorite as I have never played another one than the Remo Ambassador Coated over Remo clear or hazy snare but my last drums (INDé drums)was Aquarian coated over crowd side, so, same as the Remo and it seems to be awesome and to last longer, I mean the laying seems to be stronger. I will see that on the long but I prefer to dampen the snare with other accessories, that I could remove Wheat I want than putting definitely a head that could limit the range of sound of my snare.

Drumbumcrumb

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, no love for the G12? Amazing head. The Amb X is a great one too. It’s true that some drums just plain like a coated Amb or G1, but I’m finding a LOT of drums take it up a notch with the G12 or Amb X, while keeping that familiar feel of an Amb or G1.

(Aquarian TC and MV, and Evans Calftone deserve a mention too. With different drums ‘preferring’ different heads it’s hard to pick a favorite!)