Favorite “cheap” vintage snare drum

Reaction score
Hey Ryan what's up????
Inexpensive "vintage" snare?
That's easy!

Slingerland COB Sound King with brass stick saver rims!!!!
Replace the awful Zoomatic, deal with a few extra holes, and you have a KILLER "vintage" COB snare.

Of course now that DW has acquired Slingerland, they'll probably reissue them, and the "originals" will become collectors items.

Are Tama Swingstars now vintage?
Damn I'm getting old.
Hope all is well bud!
MSG

CC Cirillo

Reaction score
The humble Acro is one of those great “$100, and you never really need anything else” purchases.
Yep, totally agree with that this statement. My Acrolite is snugly bagged and sitting by the front door downstairs as I write this, ready to travel with me to rehearsal in San Francisco tomorrow night.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Those Swingstars are great inexpensive COS, along with Premier 1026/1028's & the COS GK look-a-likes that came with Slingerland Spirit kits.

My favourite COB "sleeper" is the Pearl B4514.

I think the best inexpensive wooden snares are simply, statistically the ones that were accidentally made well & somehow actually ended up with parallel snare beds & the works. I had a 3 ply lauan Bollero snare w/rerings that had a certain magic.

I'm not sure I'd call Pioneers, Acros, GK's or any of this lot "sleepers" any more. Gone are the days of "50 bucks a pop all day on the bay". Nowadays for the price people are selling Supras/Acros I could be buying used Noble & Cooley . Call me cynical & prove me wrong by selling me all your $50 Acros :santa:.

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
How do I know which vintage premier snares are COB?
That reminds me, my 70's 2000 COA is a another favorite as well. I've had a few of them. First one I got for $20.00. The one I still have was given to me free, with a kit I bought. I was buying this guys 70's Premier kit, and he came back into the room with the 2000, looking mint, and said "Here, you can have this for free". Was so happy. They're such underrated snares, and can be bought for pretty, or very, cheap.

tris66

Reaction score
Acro and Pearl B4514... the "Stewart "Copeland" snare. Not as cheap as they used to be. Even a tone deaf monkey like me can make them sound good.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This one!
Tama ImperialStar King Beat Snare
Phenomenal snare.
HEAVY and thick shell. Outstanding adjustable parallel snare mechanism. Extremely sensitive.
I’ve always had one of these in my stash since the 70s.
Most overlook them because of the ImperialStar name. But when you add the King Beat to it ... it is one of the best snares Tama ever built.

2F0501DC-FEC3-4EAC-BD2D-1CF2D9A73309.jpeg

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Curious what everybody’s favorite inexpensive vintage snare is these days? The sleeper snares of the vintage market

Mine recently has been this Tama Swingstar snare!
I might have agreed with this a year ago. But I've tried other "inexpensive" snares and mostly lost interest in my 1982 Tama Swingstar. And apparently most of the people in my region concur. After a year on CL I can't get anyone to want to buy a very clean example for $45.

My choice these days for sleeper snares are "selected" MIJ wood snares, 1978-1990 Yamaha metal snares SD550/555, and Tama 80's Imperialstar Powerline snares. These are often available in the $50-$125 range. And finding them at $75-$100 is quite doable. You might have to sift through a number of MIJ's to find one that sounds good. Recently had an early 60's Crown that was built similar to a Slingerland....and it sounded great. The Tama Kingbeat or Mastercraft lines are high end drums....and more costly. Though you get the same shell in the Powerline for less money. My favorite Tama metal snare right now is a simple 14x6.5 1981 Powerline. I like it better than my metal Mastercraft Imperialstar with the parallel throw and die cast hoops. But maybe that can change if I try the same Evans Genera 360 dry head. Those really seem to calm these "ringy" Tamas down.

For just a little more money than the Swingstar these others give a lot of bang for the buck. The older Yamaha metals aren't well known and you can sometimes pick them up for $50-$85. Of course I agree that for $80-$125 you can find Acro's as well. And those sound great. I personally haven't run across an Acro under $100 yet.

Attachments

Last edited:

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
This one!
Tama ImperialStar King Beat Snare
Phenomenal snare.
I agree the KingBeat KG parallel models w/cast hoops are phenomenal ( have 2 here) but I don't recall seeing many sell all that cheaply. Depends on what you consider a cheap price.
2 or 3 hundred seems to be the average price for a clean & intact used one, depending on depth.