Favorite “cheap” vintage snare drum

SlingyFan

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the student model Slingerlands with the clip rims, they have a really fat open sound that I like. I actually
prefer them to the Radio Kings I've owned, although the one I use as my primary snare has a 1ply shell, so best of both worlds in my opinion.

Attachments

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the student model Slingerlands with the clip rims, they have a really fat open sound that I like. I actually
prefer them to the Radio Kings I've owned, although the one I use as my primary snare has a 1ply shell, so best of both worlds in my opinion.
Wow. I bet that does sound good.

thejohnlec

Reaction score
I’ll second the Ludwig Standard. I also have a steel Pearl 5x14 from the mid 1970s with an intact Gladstone throw that really sounds great.

bubo

Reaction score
I´d go with the mentioned before Imperial-Stars.
:cool:

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Found a NOS Westbury 6 lug COS which I use with my gospel trio, and I love it, but I cant explain it. Its as cheap a snare drum as you can get, but it has so much character...oh well, why ask right?...just play it!

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was pretty lucky to find an Beverly Cosmic 21 aluminum .
Is that the one that's basically a Supra (5*14 ten lug)?* or the one that's basically a Premier hi-fi (5.5 depth etc)?

*Separate q: what's the Premier model name for the equivalent?

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Is that the one that's basically a Supra (5*14 ten lug)?* or the one that's basically a Premier hi-fi (5.5 depth etc)?

*Separate q: what's the Premier model name for the equivalent?
10 lug seamless aluminum 14x 5.5 plastic script logo, Premier tone control. Here's a link, mine has 9/10 chrome .