Favorite 14x20 head combo?

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been using my "go to" setup but I can't get my 20" bass drum to sound decent. Currently running a PS3 coated batter, and a fiberskyn 3 front ported. Just doesn't have any balls, or oomph. Tried it with an evans pillow (again my normal setup) and without.

It's a Gretsch.

What do you guys like to run? I'm typically a Remo guy as an FYI.

Jeff

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had this issue with my Yamaha RC 16x20 bass drum. Always been a single ply head guy on the bass drum, & tried out about every model available from the big 3. Finally I decided to get an Evans EMAD 2 for kicks... WOW! It sounds like it dropped a full octave and became much more powerful in the low end.

Last night I compared it to my Tama Starclassic 18x22 that I just put a new PS3 with power dot. The Yamaha 20" sounds more like a "rock" bass drum than the much larger Tama, no question. Now, the PS3 with dot is a mid-rangey type head for sure, but still!

MrYikes

Reaction score
I'll be watching this. I'm using Coated Ambassadors with a felt strip both sides. I use a moleskin for batter protection and an extra felt on batter side. I've got the punch but not the tone I want.

mtarrani

DFO Master
Reaction score
My favorite is Earthtone calf unported, front and back. However, most of my bass drums (20 and 18, with a 24 that goes unused most of the time) have coated Ambassadors front and back (unported with a felt strip on the batter side.)

dsop

Reaction score
The 20" x 14" Gretsch bass drum I had a few years ago sounded better than the 22" x 16" version I had. I used the factory heads: coated powerstroke 3 batter and coated ambassador resonant, with a small pillow inside. Seriously, probably the best bass drum sound I've ever experienced up to that point (my current Yamahas rule supreme).

old_K_ride

DFO Master
Reaction score
I use an Evans UV1 EQ4 with an Evans56 reso side/no port on my 14x20 Noble & Cooley Horizon...tuned up or down it delivers every time...no issues.
tr

mebeatee

Reaction score
try a front head with no port
Bingo....!!!!
OP...I use the same combo as you....coated PS3 with an unported Fyberskyn Ambo on the front and keep a t shirt inside if I need a bit of damping on the front....lift BD up and shake the t shirt to the front head, or dampen from the outside of the drum.....a '65 Sonor 14x20
I use this combo on a 12x22 Slingerland as well.
I have a double set of Ludwig's and both 14x20 BD's have remo muffls with a clear CS black dot and clear unported Ambo's on the front....same set up as a 14x22 Gretsch. With these drums I also keep a clear ported head with the spare heads just in case....
Also have a 16x18 Ludwig floor tom that is now an 18"bd with a coated PS3 and a clear unported Ambo on the front side.
Moral of the story.....fill in that hole!!!
bt

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like an Evans EQ4 with an Aquarian double kick pad on the batter side, and a single ply Remo with a 4" port and a piece of Moon Gel in the center for resonant. It's a 14x20 round badge Gretsch.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
SK1 Ludwig clear medium silver dot and/or Remo coated ambassador on the reso. unported . Maybe couple of handfuls of cotton balls inside .

Last edited:

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Coated Emperor on the batter side and coater (or smooth white) on the reso, unported. Felt strip muffling on the reso side. Nothing else inside the drum This combo sounds massive on my 70's Gretsch bass drum. Demoed it a while ago, see the video below.

I see people going for PS3 a lot, and I use them some times too. But often I get bigger and fatter sound with coated Emperor and and it's much cheaper head too.
Don't really know why people have kind of forgotten it as a bass drum head option. Probably because the kick specific heads are so well advertised.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
I like the PS3 batter with smooth white ambassador, or the SK2 with the same smooth ambassador.

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 14x20 DW with an Evans EQ4 Frosted batter and DW stock reso/no port. The drum is wide open, tensioned up medium and I usually don't bury the beater. I played Emads when they came out, but prefer the EQ heads because I can get more volume and natural tone out of the drum.

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd say loose the Fiberskin. Those heads are very dead ( unless you crank them a bit). That particular head with a hole in it is going to subtract more than it adds. Just my opinion. I'm sure many will disagree.

dwdave

Groovinator
Reaction score
I have a few 20" kicks. What seems to work for me if you want a port is a 4" port. No larger. the bigger the port, the less low end. I've always had great luck with SK2/fiberskyn or EQ3/fiberskyn. Laundry to taste....

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
PS3 Batter and Reso- NO HOLE. Don't over tighten them either.

My 20" Kicks! If I need to muffle, I lay a towel against either of the heads from the outside.

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My Gretsch round badge has Aquarian American Vintage heads on bth sides, not ported. My Ludwig CMs have Weatermaster power collars on the batter and Weathermaster smooth logo heads on the resources side, again, not ported

Latest posts