Favorite Center lugs

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Kicking ideas for a build around - 8" deep snare and an 8" deep bass drum. Looking for a not too expensive center lug that doesn't look like 70's MIJ. I'm not trying to look like anything in particular, just a classic look. DFD's Gretsch lugs are ok. I'm on the fence about the Slingerland lugs. Then there's tube lugs. I'm ambivalent about them and they cost a bit more than the afore mentioned lugs, though not like some of the spiffy Pearl arch lugs.

Will bowties work with a riser? What's your favorite?

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ludwig imperials are a super classy choice, but also don’t really scream Ludwig to me when they’re not on a metal shell. If those fail the “not to expensive” test the 60’s style slingerland knock offs look great on everything

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think a center lug on an 8" drum will require unusually long rods - probably 3" or so. Either a nice 4-5" tube lug or if you insist on single lugs,
I like the Radio King repro lugs.

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
I like the clean, classic look of a single-point lug with tube. Offset or centered, they look good and work VERY well. Available in all different materials, I like polished aluminum or solid brass. You could get a set for the snare drum and a taller set for bass drum, so they match. Or you could do single-point for the snare, double on the bass, or vice versa.

Ludwig Imperial lugs are pretty classy too, of course they’re a fixed length that you’d have to work around rather than buying a lug that’s the length YOU want. If the Imperial length works for your project though, they are awfully nice. I wouldn’t trust bowties for a build, but that’s just me (I’ve experienced full bowtie failure lol)

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Ludwig imperials are a super classy choice, but also don’t really scream Ludwig to me when they’re not on a metal shell. If those fail the “not to expensive” test the 60’s style slingerland knock offs look great on everything
I just realized that the Slingerland knockoffs are actually fluted. I though they were smooth from all the pics I've seen (simple convex profile). And yeah center lug won't work on the bass drum without a spacer. Maybe I'll just go with slingerland SE beavertails all around.

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For long lugs, I like the long version of the Radio King lug and the 4" Arch 2 lug. They will work fine on a bass drum as well. You'll have a little bit of splay, but nothing too bad.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Showcase the finish, move the lugs to single screw top and bottom. Trick Chrome.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Imperials would be my choice. The flat backed ones come in two sizes

Too bad no one makes a repro of the art deco classic "Rocket" lug.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Showcase the finish, move the lugs to single screw top and bottom. Trick Chrome.
This experiment, should it get off the ground is a bit more utilitarian. Talking to Lane Kennington about some fiberglass shells. Not sure what I'm going to do for a finish - I'll probably shoot it white and clearcoat. I just can't stand the look of the sugarcubes and anything else that looks like it came off a CB/Sunluck. Same for the spikey wierd stuff DFD sells - I'm like - just how many of these things do they sell?

Some of the single point center lugs looked ok, but I'm not crazy about the idea of single point. I guess things are balanced in a center lug, but definitely no to single point single ended lugs.

These aren't bad looking:

I actually like the look of these but at $27 each that ain't happening.

healthie1

Reaction score
Tough one. Tama superstar or artstar lugs, DW turret lugs, Slingerland lugs. Probably Tama superstars are my favorite.