Favorite COB Snare

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Talking about the threads of the butt plate that you tighten when securing the snare wires. They are aluminum and of course the bolts are steel, so they have an easy time just pulling those threads right out when you adjust or change your snares.
Ahh, OK. Noted. I think I did change the wires when I got it to Tama Bell Brass wires...so I will have to watch that if I change them again.

itsjjp

Reaction score
14x5 8-lug Slingerland. Just enough body when you want a fat sound, superb crack when tight. I keep mine medium high and just play off center and rim shots for more depth, volume, etc.

rsq911

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For the "chrome" I would say my 5x14 Ludwig cut-badge 1969 just works. The tuning range is phenomenal, but for me, higher is better. I did try 1930's-40's wire wound silk individual wires on it, and it really changed every aspect of the sound and feel. Very very very dry and articulate with brilliant overtones. But, I put the original script ones back on, and it is great. The drum is definitely a chameleon.

Shawn Martin

Reaction score
I have 3 brass snares - two COB and a Ludwig Carl Palmer with the emerald green finish. The Ludwig is played the most currently but I’d say my favorite is my Dayton Rogers COB Powertone. I’ve had it for around 25 years. I also have a 5.5” 1960 Slingerland Barrett Deems model, which is also a great drum.

ccdrums

Reaction score
Chrome Over Brass Snares: Which years/ brand/size do you prefer?
I still have my Slingerland 5x14 8 lug Model 130 Sound King from1978 (The year they dropped the "Krupa" title). The best kept secret of all. It defines how good a COB can sound. The sweet spot is the versatile 8 lug, 5x14 size. The unique to Slingy "Stick-Saver" Brass hoops really sweeten the tone and give rim shots a soft but solid feel and the crack is unlike any other. Crank it up and it's got that cool Jazz feel with sensitive touch all the way to the rims. Ghost notes are a whisper but that rim shot crack is still right there for classic Jazz or as a Funk monster! Or you can tune low with just a touch of tone control and have a fat but clean Rock or ballad sound. The "Swivomatic" strainer is a stupid design so find a good one or just replace with a better one. Overall out of all my Snares I keep coming back to it. Will never part with it.
CC

mattmalloy66

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a Barrett Deems model. I have one as well. Great drum.
I don't think it was called the Barrett Deems until `62.
Regardless, it is the same drum, and it sounds just a little better than my later Krupa/ Sound Kings.

sixplymaple

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought my first COB snare and it’s a Ludwig 5x14. I guess it’s my favorite one lol. I’m usually not big on brighter snare drums, but this thing sounds excellent. Better than expected tbh.

swayed1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There is only one answer. Some of you got it correct. The rest are wrong.

Attachments

OttawaDrumGuy

Reaction score
My favourite is a 1971 cut-badge Super-Sensitive. Partly because it sounds great, partly because it's the drum that got me hooked on vintage snares and oddities. I bought it thinking it was just a really clean Ludalloy, and only figured out it was brass when I started reading about the old cut-badge drums.

If I was going to pick up another COB, it would probably be a Slingerland Sound King - lots of fans in this thread.

1971-ss-v2.jpg